Exploring Time Dimensions and String Theory

In summary: However, I do not think that time could bend like light does in the 3d world.In summary, the topic of time dimensions and their existence has been discussed before, but it is being raised again. Some theories, such as string theory, suggest the possibility of multiple time dimensions and their relationship with space dimensions. However, this is highly hypothetical and there is no concrete evidence or solutions yet. Another topic of discussion is the concept of time travel, which is also highly debated and lacks concrete evidence. The idea of time as the fourth dimension and its relationship with light and shadows has also been proposed, but it is still just a theory without strong evidence. Overall, these topics remain intriguing and thought-provoking, but without concrete evidence or equations
alexsok
I just thought about it yesterday, and although is has been discussed here earlier, i'd like to raise the issue again.

Can there really be more than one time dimension? so for instance, we could "circle around", come back, and pass through a moment we have already been through... it's quiet difficult for me to visualise the idea in practice, but it was mentioned that some forms of string theory incorporate just that... i wasn't able to find similar string solutions, so i could use some reference :)

Also, is is possible that there is one time dimension for every space dimension?

Oh, and one more thing :) as I've heard, there has been some progress (again, in String theory), whereby strings have gone through an ordeal in finite energies... does anyone know any articles, or papers, pointing to the decay of the vibrations?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Time travel, like the majority of what is talked about here, is highly hypothetical. I believe that though space can warp around and the such, time cannot. Time will always move forward, though how fast one moves forward depends on gravity, and the space-time flux, etc. But all in all, I do not believe that time travel is possible.

I thought about something very intersting the other day regarding the 4th dimension.
In our 3D world, a regularly seen 2D object is the shadow. What makes a shadow? As light travels through time and space, it is bound to bend as it hits a surface such as the human body, thereby creating a shadow on another nearby surface. If the 4th dimension were in fact a result of time, would "shadows" in this dimension be three dimensional?
If you think about it, time would act similarly to how light acts in the 3rd dimension. Theoretically, the faster an object moves, the slower time moves (twin theory). As time travels through space it is bound to come into contact with things. The fastest moving "thing" we know of is light. Therefore, as time travels through light, it slows down because light is traveling at such a high speed. This would cause 4th dimensional time to bend around the light so that it creates a 3D object.
I know this idea is quite farfetched, but it is intriguing nonetheless.
Any thoughts?

It's intruiging i'll admit but there would have to be equations to back it up. without that as has been said before its simply all conjecture.

When i was tripping on acid i thought of the same exact concept that was in the elegant universe series about 2 dimensions coliding and that that was the cause of the big bang, but i don't exactly have a mathematics degree or physics degree to back up my imagination with anything so unfortunatly it goes to waste and that's something i'll just have to deal with till i get atleast 12 yrs of schooling behind my belt.

MythioS

In our 3D world, a regularly seen 2D object is the shadow
Shadows are not really a 2-d object, just the absence of lightover an area, a 3d area even though you can only notice the absense when it reflects off a surface. Also (correct me if I missunderstand you) I think your saying that time moves. I think it is most often believed that objects move through time, and time doesn't move itself. The 4th dimension is time, not born of the motion of time...

Despite this, however, your idea is interesting. I to have thought the third dimension as a result of the 4th dimension, like a 3d shadow of a 4d world.

Last edited:

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that suggests that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but rather tiny strings of energy. These strings vibrate at different frequencies, giving rise to the different particles and forces we observe in the universe.

2. How does string theory relate to time dimensions?

String theory predicts that there are 10 dimensions in our universe, with 3 of them being space dimensions and 1 being time. The other 6 dimensions are thought to be curled up or compactified, and string theory provides a way to mathematically describe these extra dimensions and their interactions with our observable 3 dimensions.

3. Can string theory explain the concept of time travel?

While string theory does allow for the possibility of multiple dimensions and the bending of space-time, it does not currently have a way to fully explain or support the concept of time travel. Time travel is still a highly debated and speculative topic in the scientific community.

4. What is the role of quantum mechanics in string theory?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. In string theory, quantum mechanics is used to describe the vibrations of the strings and the way they interact with each other and with the extra dimensions.

5. Has string theory been proven or tested?

String theory has not yet been proven or tested experimentally, as it requires extremely high energies and advanced technology that is not currently available. However, it is a widely studied and researched theory that has shown promise in providing a unified understanding of the fundamental forces of the universe.