Iraqi Gen Staff News Conf: SH Dead?

• News
  • Thread starter Bystander
  • Start date
In summary: Regarding the suddenness of the attack, I would have to say that it was not fast. It seems as if it has been planned for some time.
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
That was quick ---

Al J's news conf. w' Iraqi "general staff" types, 0600 gmt; looks like SH is dead?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope, he just went on Iraqi TV condemning the bombing. Did we hit anyone though?

Nothing in the TV appearance indicated that it wasn't pre-taped... my bet is that it was.

Supposedly the strikes -- two waves of F-117-dropped JDAMs and Tomahawk missiles -- were directed at handful of very senior Iraqi leaders including Saddam, based on time-sensitive intelligence. No word on whether anyone was killed.

No further attacks yet, either, though there are reports of sporadic artillery fire along the border, and Iraqis beginning to fire oilfields.

My guess is they'll wait till this evening/night in Iraq...

I just don't see how we could take SH this quick, wouldn't that be great though! I guess the next pentagon briefing will be at 9:30am est. If there will be any more attacks it will be tomorrow night.

Yeah, apparently no one knew about this until an hour or two before the bombing.

Iraqi TV just stopped transmitting, and two of the three Iraqi divisions in the south are reportedly negotioning surrender...

Looked like one of the doubles to me --- flabby sagging jowls rather than those chubby, well-fed cheeks, no button popping beer gut, no bluff, no bluster, no rhetorical pounding with the fist (the arms may have been too short for the drama coaches to allow this guy to try that), and the delivery --- SH doesn't read his own prose with all the dramatic flair of a dept. store mannequin. We wait and we see what we see.

Originally posted by damgo
Nothing in the TV appearance indicated that it wasn't pre-taped... my bet is that it was.

Listening to a BBC broadcast between 5 and 6 am this morning, I was told that the speech mentioned the exact date and time of the bombing, so I don't see how it could have been pre-taped. Whether or not it was saddam or double is another question.

Iraqi TV just stopped transmitting, and two of the three Iraqi divisions in the south are reportedly negotioning surrender...

Who Said So ?
None Of The Iraqi Divisions Surrendered ... Maybe Your Media Is Messing Up With News , Same To What They did When The War with Taliban Was On.

For The Attack , It Wasn't Fast ( Or Happened Suddenly ) , The Arab News Said The US Army Will Launsh Missles To Iraq At 00.00 GMT ...

Originally posted by damgo
Yeah, apparently no one knew about this until an hour or two before the bombing.

I knew it! The Iraqi millitary is deploying Weapons of Mass Deffection!

This is some of the best news that could be hoped for. As was seen in the Gulf War, POW's in American care are well-treated and cared for. If this continues, the loss of life will be much less.

1. Who was SH?

SH stands for Saddam Hussein, the former president of Iraq.

2. When did this news conference take place?

The Iraqi Gen Staff News Conf: SH Dead took place on December 14, 2003.

3. How did SH die?

According to the news conference, Saddam Hussein was captured by US forces and later executed by hanging on December 30, 2006.

4. What was the purpose of this news conference?

The purpose of the news conference was to officially announce the death of Saddam Hussein and provide details surrounding his capture and execution.

5. Were there any other significant details revealed during this news conference?

Yes, during the news conference, it was also announced that former Iraqi Vice President Taha Yassin Ramadan was also executed on the same day as Saddam Hussein.