Continuity Equation in an Electromagnetic Field

In summary, the continuity equation for a charged particle in an electromagnetic field is derived using the time-dependent Schrodinger equation and its complex conjugate. By multiplying the equations and subtracting, the equation is obtained with a missing factor of 2. This factor is found by writing the equation in a different form and using the product rule for del.
Rubiss

Homework Statement

Derive the continuity equation for a charged particle in an electromagnetic field

Homework Equations

The time-dependent Schrodinger equation and its complex conjugate are

[tex]i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}=\frac{1}{2m}(-i\hbar \vec{\nabla} - \frac{e}{c} \vec{A})^{2}\psi+e\phi\psi [/tex]

[tex]i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi^{*}}{\partial t}=\frac{1}{2m}(+i\hbar \vec{\nabla} - \frac{e}{c} \vec{A})^{2}\psi^{*}+e\phi\psi^{*} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I proceed in much the same way I would when deriving the continuity equation without a magnetic field. I multiply the top equation by psi-star, the bottom by psi and subtract the bottom equation from the top equation to obtain

[tex] \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = \frac{-\hbar}{2mi}(\psi^{*}\vec{\nabla}^{2}\psi - \psi \vec{\nabla}^{2} \psi^{*})+\frac{e}{2mc}(2|\psi|^{2}\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A}+\psi^{*}\vec{A} \cdot \vec{\nabla}\psi + \psi \vec{A} \cdot \vec{\nabla}\psi^{*})[/tex]

Now I pull a divergence out of the first quantity in the parentheses on the right, and that becomes the the probability current when there is no magnetic field. Then I use the fact that the divergence of A is zero. This leaves me with

[tex] \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = -\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j} + \frac{e}{2mc} (\psi^{*}\vec{A} \cdot \vec{\nabla}\psi + \psi \vec{A} \cdot \vec{\nabla}\psi^{*})[/tex]

Now I pull the A out of parentheses:

[tex] \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = -\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j} + \frac{e}{2mc} \vec{A} \cdot (\psi^{*}\vec{\nabla}\psi + \psi\vec{\nabla}\psi^{*})[/tex]

This becomes

[tex] \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = -\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j} + \frac{e}{2mc} \vec{A} \cdot (\vec{\nabla}|\psi|^{2})[/tex]

and I can pull the gradient out because del dot A is zero:

[tex] \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = -\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j} + \frac{e}{2mc} \vec{\nabla} \cdot (\vec{A}|\psi|^{2})[/tex]

Now pull the divergence out of both terms:

[tex] \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = -\vec{\nabla} \cdot (\vec{j} + \frac{e}{2mc}\vec{A}|\psi|^{2})[/tex]

Now I am very close to the correct answer (I know because the result is on the page "probability current" on Wikipedia). My only problem is that there should NOT be a 2 in the denominator. I have spent a long time trying to find out why this 2 is there. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rubiss said:
The time-dependent Schrodinger equation and its complex conjugate are

[tex]i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}=\frac{1}{2m}(-i\hbar \vec{\nabla} - \frac{e}{c} \vec{A})^{2}\psi+e\phi\psi [/tex]

[tex]i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi^{*}}{\partial t}=\frac{1}{2m}(+i\hbar \vec{\nabla} - \frac{e}{c} \vec{A})^{2}\psi^{*}+e\phi\psi^{*} [/tex]

I multiply the top equation by psi-star, the bottom by psi and subtract the bottom equation from the top equation to obtain

[tex] \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = \frac{-\hbar}{2mi}(\psi^{*}\vec{\nabla}^{2}\psi - \psi \vec{\nabla}^{2} \psi^{*})+\frac{e}{2mc}(2|\psi|^{2}\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A}+\psi^{*}\vec{A} \cdot \vec{\nabla}\psi + \psi \vec{A} \cdot \vec{\nabla}\psi^{*})[/tex]

See if you can show that you are missing a couple of factors of 2 above. I think it should be

[tex] \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = \frac{-\hbar}{2mi}(\psi^{*}\vec{\nabla}^{2}\psi - \psi \vec{\nabla}^{2} \psi^{*})+\frac{e}{2mc}(2|\psi|^{2}\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A}+2\psi^{*}\vec{A} \cdot \vec{\nabla}\psi + 2\psi \vec{A} \cdot \vec{\nabla}\psi^{*})[/tex]

TSny said:
See if you can show that you are missing a couple of factors of 2 above. I think it should be

[tex] \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = \frac{-\hbar}{2mi}(\psi^{*}\vec{\nabla}^{2}\psi - \psi \vec{\nabla}^{2} \psi^{*})+\frac{e}{2mc}(2|\psi|^{2}\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A}+2\psi^{*}\vec{A} \cdot \vec{\nabla}\psi + 2\psi \vec{A} \cdot \vec{\nabla}\psi^{*})[/tex]

I think you're right, but I have rewritten my steps many times, and do not get that factor of 2 to show up. Very frustrating.

Rubiss said:
I think you're right, but I have rewritten my steps many times, and do not get that factor of 2 to show up. Very frustrating.

For

try writing it as

[tex]i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}=\frac{1}{2m}(-i\hbar \vec{\nabla} - \frac{e}{c} \vec{A})\cdot (-i\hbar \vec{\nabla} - \frac{e}{c} \vec{A})\psi+e\phi\psi [/tex]

First write out ##(-i\hbar \vec{\nabla} - \frac{e}{c} \vec{A})\psi## and then operate on the result with the other ##(-i\hbar \vec{\nabla} - \frac{e}{c} \vec{A})##. If you encounter ##\vec{\nabla}\cdot(\vec{A}\psi)## then remember that ##\vec{\nabla}## operates on both ##\vec{A}## and ##\psi## according to the product rule.

TSny said:
For

try writing it as

[tex]i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}=\frac{1}{2m}(-i\hbar \vec{\nabla} - \frac{e}{c} \vec{A})\cdot (-i\hbar \vec{\nabla} - \frac{e}{c} \vec{A})\psi+e\phi\psi [/tex]

First write out ##(-i\hbar \vec{\nabla} - \frac{e}{c} \vec{A})\psi## and then operate on the result with the other ##(-i\hbar \vec{\nabla} - \frac{e}{c} \vec{A})##. If you encounter ##\vec{\nabla}\cdot(\vec{A}\psi)## then remember that ##\vec{\nabla}## operates on both ##\vec{A}## and ##\psi## according to the product rule.

Ah, yes! That is the crucial part I was missing - del acts on both psi and A.

Thanks so much!

Related to Continuity Equation in an Electromagnetic Field

1. What is the continuity equation in an electromagnetic field?

The continuity equation in an electromagnetic field is a mathematical expression that describes the conservation of electric charge in a given region. It states that the rate of change of charge density in a given volume is equal to the negative of the divergence of the current density at that point.

2. How is the continuity equation derived?

The continuity equation is derived from Maxwell's equations, specifically the Gauss's law for electricity and the Faraday's law of induction. By combining these two equations, we can express the conservation of charge in terms of the electric field and the current density.

3. What is the significance of the continuity equation in electromagnetism?

The continuity equation is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that helps to understand the behavior of electric charges and currents. It ensures that electric charge is conserved, which is a fundamental principle in physics. It also helps to analyze and predict the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in various situations.

4. How does the continuity equation relate to Kirchhoff's current law?

The continuity equation is closely related to Kirchhoff's current law, which states that the sum of all currents entering a node in a circuit must be equal to the sum of all currents leaving the node. This law is a special case of the continuity equation when applied to electric circuits, where the charge density and current density are considered to be constant.

5. When is the continuity equation not applicable?

The continuity equation may not be applicable in certain situations, such as in the presence of time-varying magnetic fields or in highly conductive materials. In these cases, the equation may need to be modified to account for these factors. Additionally, the equation is only valid for macroscopic systems and may not accurately describe the behavior of individual particles at the quantum level.