Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Continuity and Derivatives

teddybear9

Feb 11, 2012
Can anyone give me an example of a continuous function that is NOT differentiable(other than the square root function)? I have to prove that not all continuous functions are differentiable.

Thanks!

SammyS

Feb 15, 2012
Can anyone give me an example of a continuous function that is NOT differentiable(other than the square root function)? I have to prove that not all continuous functions are differentiable.

Thanks!
In what sense do you mean that the square root function is not differentiable?

Some functions to consider are:
|x -1|

|cos(x)|

x2/3

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
the "standard" example is f(x) = |x|.

the function SammyS no doubt intended was:

$f(x) = \sqrt[3]{x^2}$, as $f(x) = x^{\frac{2}{3}}$ is undefined for real x < 0.

Jan 31, 2012
Now, the natural question that you should ask yourself is:

Is there continuous nowhere differentiable functions?

teddybear9

Feb 11, 2012

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
in fact, "most" functions aren't differentiable, in the sense that the "bad" ones vastly out-number the "good" ones. this may come as a surprise to you. your teachers have been sheltering you from this terrible truth, and only letting you play with the "nice" functions.

teddybear9

Feb 11, 2012
oh haha thanks guys! :)

SammyS

Feb 15, 2012
the "standard" example is f(x) = |x|.

the function SammyS no doubt intended was:

$f(x) = \sqrt[3]{x^2}$, as $f(x) = x^{\frac{2}{3}}$ is undefined for real x < 0.
$\displaystyle g(x)=\left(\,\sqrt[3]{x}\,\right)$ is defined for all x, when considered as a real function.

So $\large{ f(x)=x^{\frac{2}{3}}}$ is also defined for all real x

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
i understand what you're saying, every real number has a cube root. for reasons that are probably too far off-topic for this thread, some authors do not define $a^q$, when a < 0, and q is rational. it can be done for odd denominators, if one is careful. but some treat it as "complex-valued" (mathematica does this, i believe). there's a certain ambiguity in what the symbols mean.

when i learned calculus the first time, $\sqrt[3]{x}$ was a perfectly good function, defined on all of $\mathbb{R}$. things change once you consider the reals in terms of the complex field.