Continuity and Compact Sets - Bolzano's Theorem

In summary: Hi Peter,Yes, you can justify it like you have done, the fact that $c-\delta/2 \in A$ implies $f(c-\delta/2)\geq 0$ it's just by definition of $A$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Tom Apostol's book: Mathematical Analysis (Second Edition).

I am currently studying Chapter 4: Limits and Continuity.

I am having trouble in fully understanding the proof of Bolzano's Theorem (Apostol Theorem 4.32).

Bolzano's Theorem and its proof reads as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3863
In the above proof, Apostol writes the following:" ... ... If \(\displaystyle f(c) \lt 0\), then \(\displaystyle c - \delta/2\) is an upper bound for A, again contradicting the definition of \(\displaystyle c\). ... ... "
Can someone please explain why \(\displaystyle f(c) \lt 0\) implies that \(\displaystyle c - \delta/2\) is an upper bound for A?

Help will be appreciated ... ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

$f$ is continuous and $f(c)<0$ so there exists a 1-ball $B(c,\delta)$ (that's an open interval) where $f$ is negative, so $f(c-\delta/2)<0$ and $c-\delta/2<c=sup(A)$ which is a contradiction.

Fallen Angel said:
Hi Peter,

$f$ is continuous and $f(c)<0$ so there exists a 1-ball $B(c,\delta)$ (that's an open interval) where $f$ is negative, so $f(c-\delta/2)<0$ and $c-\delta/2<c=sup(A)$ which is a contradiction.

Hello Fallen Angel,

Thanks for your help!

... BUT ... still reflecting on what you have written ... and need further help ...

... I can see that \(\displaystyle f\) is negative on \(\displaystyle B( c; \delta)\) and thus, that \(\displaystyle f ( c - \delta/2 ) \lt 0\) ... ... but fail to fully understand your contradiction ...I suspect the argument may be something like this ... ...

\(\displaystyle f ( c - \delta/2 ) \lt 0\) from the argument of yours above ...

But then ... ...

\(\displaystyle c = \text{ sup } A\) ... ... and therefore the point \(\displaystyle c - \delta/2 \in A\) ... ... [ BUT ... ! I cannot justify this step rigorously! ...]

But \(\displaystyle c - \delta/2 \in A\) implies that \(\displaystyle f( c - \delta/2) \ge 0\) ... ... which contradicts what we established above ... ...Can you comment on my analysis ...

Hopefully you can clarify the situation for me ...

Thanks again for you help with the above issue ... ...

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes, you can justify it like you have done, the fact that $c-\delta/2 \in A$ implies $f(c-\delta/2)\geq 0$ it's just by definition of $A$.

If $c-\delta/2\notin A$ then you have an upper bound for $A$ that is strictly less than the supremum, which is another contradiction.

Hello Peter,

Bolzano's Theorem states that if a function f is continuous on a closed interval [a,b] and takes on values of opposite signs at the endpoints, then there exists a point c in the interval where f(c) = 0.

In the proof of this theorem, Apostol uses a proof by contradiction. He assumes that there is no such point c where f(c) = 0 and shows that this leads to a contradiction.

In the part of the proof you are having trouble understanding, Apostol is considering the case where f(c) < 0. In this case, he wants to show that c - \delta/2 is an upper bound for A. Recall that A is defined as the set of all points in [a,b] where f(x) < 0.

Since f(c) < 0, c must be an element of A. However, if c - \delta/2 is not an upper bound for A, then there exists some point x in A such that x > c - \delta/2. This would mean that f(x) < 0 and x is closer to c than \delta/2, which would contradict the definition of c as the infimum of A.

Therefore, if f(c) < 0, then c - \delta/2 must be an upper bound for A. I hope this explanation helps you understand the proof better. Keep studying and good luck with your studies!

Related to Continuity and Compact Sets - Bolzano's Theorem

1. What is Bolzano's Theorem?

Bolzano's Theorem, also known as the Intermediate Value Theorem, states that if a continuous function has different signs at two points, then there must be at least one point in between where the function equals zero.

2. How is Bolzano's Theorem different from the Mean Value Theorem?

While both theorems deal with continuous functions, Bolzano's Theorem focuses on the existence of a root between two points, whereas the Mean Value Theorem deals with the existence of a point where the slope of the function is equal to the average slope between two points.

3. What is the importance of Bolzano's Theorem in mathematics?

Bolzano's Theorem is a fundamental result in calculus and is used in many areas of mathematics, including analysis, topology, and differential equations. It provides a powerful tool for proving the existence of solutions to equations and inequalities.

4. Can Bolzano's Theorem be extended to multivariable functions?

Yes, Bolzano's Theorem can be extended to multivariable functions, known as the Generalized Intermediate Value Theorem. It states that if a continuous function has different signs at two points in a connected set, then there must be at least one point where the function equals zero.

5. Are there any counterexamples to Bolzano's Theorem?

Yes, there are counterexamples to Bolzano's Theorem. For example, the function f(x) = sin(1/x) does not satisfy the conditions of the theorem, as it is continuous but does not have a root between -1 and 1. However, this function is not defined at x = 0, which is a necessary condition for Bolzano's Theorem to hold.