Continue on to elementary real analysis or review calculus?

In summary, it is recommended to review concepts such as limits, continuity, sequences, and series before studying basic real analysis. It is also suggested to use a theoretical calculus book, such as Spivak's or Apostol's, for a comprehensive review and introduction to the ideas of analysis. Multivariable calculus is not a prerequisite for elementary real analysis.
halo31
Im kind of rusty on my calculus II and III and I was wondering if I should review it before I try to self teach myself basic real analysis? I have some experience with basic proofs.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a good idea to review concepts like limits, continuity, sequences, and series. For basic real analysis this will be more important than the various techniques for calculating integrals and derivatives, which make up the bulk of most calculus courses. Also, multivariable calculus is not a prerequisite for elementary real analysis.

Getting your hands on a theoretical calculus book such as Spivak's or Apostol's might be the most productive way to "review" calculus if your goal is to study real analysis. Indeed these books are gentle introductions to real analysis as much as they are calculus books.

I also think it might be a good idea to work through a book like Spivak or Apostol at this point. It will be a very thorough review of calculus and it will introduce you to the ideas of analysis.

Related to Continue on to elementary real analysis or review calculus?

1. What is the difference between elementary real analysis and calculus?

Elementary real analysis is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the rigorous study of real numbers, sequences, and functions. It builds upon the concepts of calculus, but goes into more depth and requires a more rigorous approach. Calculus is a more general field that deals with the study of change and mathematical modeling.

2. Do I need to have a strong foundation in calculus to continue on to elementary real analysis?

Yes, a strong foundation in calculus is essential for success in elementary real analysis. This includes a thorough understanding of topics such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. Without a solid understanding of these concepts, it will be difficult to grasp the more advanced topics in real analysis.

3. What are some important topics covered in elementary real analysis?

Some important topics covered in elementary real analysis include sequences and series, continuity and differentiability of functions, and convergence of integrals. Other topics may include topology, metric spaces, and the Riemann integral.

4. How is elementary real analysis used in other fields of science?

Elementary real analysis is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It provides a foundation for understanding and analyzing mathematical models and systems. Real analysis is also used extensively in advanced calculus, as well as in more advanced topics such as differential equations and mathematical analysis.

5. What are some tips for successfully continuing on to elementary real analysis?

Some tips for successfully continuing on to elementary real analysis include reviewing your calculus concepts and making sure you have a strong understanding of them. It is also helpful to practice proofs and mathematical reasoning. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or studying in a group can also aid in understanding the material.