What is the most important constant in physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of various constants such as pi, 0, 1, e, c, g, h, and h-bar. Participants argue for different constants based on their significance in mathematics, physics, and everyday life. Some suggest that e is the most important constant, while others argue for pi or h-bar. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the different perspectives and opinions on the role and significance of constants in our understanding of the world.

• g

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • e

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • pi

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • c (speed of light)

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • other

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
split
So, what is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's make it "what is your favorite constant?" All of these constants are important for different reasons.

Need more options

I wanted to vote for 0. Or maybe 1.

What about the universal gravitation constant?

Voted c.

Pi is great because it comes up everywhere. Pi is especially great on Thanksgiving... mmmm...
I have to agree with Ambitwistor. 0 and 1 are pretty important too, but they're not as natural as pi. By that I mean, pi is a constant of nature (if you consider geometry a part of nature). 0 and 1 we made up. If either were an option, I would have hesitated.

e and pi are not physical constants, they are mathematical constants. I suppose you could say that that makes them physical constants by default, but my point is that c, for instance, is NOT a mathematical constant. In that regard, I would have to say that e and pi are more important than any other physical constant, but that they are equally important to each other.

e is the most significant (e is the charge of an electron right?)

If there was not speed limit of nature it wouldn't really affect our lives as much if there was no charge then we would sink through the floor since the molecules wouldn't have a intermolecular relationship keeping them rigid, there would be no elements, no chemestry.

g isn't really a constant is it. as soon as we blast a spaceship off the planet, then the g of the planet is going to change ever so slightly since its mass has changed. Without g I am going to assume that by u mean g being important means that if it weren't existent there wud b no gravity.

We cud live without gravity quite happily, life wud be a bit more consvative.

Wow I am tired and off 2 bed

alpha, of course

fine structure constant.

JMD

If we're talking about actual, experimentally measured physical constants, and not just mathematical constants like π and e, then I don't really take dimensional constants to be truly fundamental. Of the dimensionless constants, I'd also vote for the fine structure constant α. See:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/constants.html

Last edited:
What about h? h-bar? i?

Originally posted by FZ+
What about h? h-bar? i?

I agree, what about Planck's constant? Seems like an important constant to me.

P.S. h-bar is important but it is h/2pi(I think). So you would have to have that important constant pi to have h-bar. For this reason I would put pi above h-bar as a more important constant.

Originally posted by bdkeenan00
P.S. h-bar is important but it is h/2pi(I think). So you would have to have that important constant pi to have h-bar.

No, you don't need π to define hbar. You could take hbar as fundamental, and define h = hbar * 2π, and then it would be h which requires π. In fact, hbar is really more fundamental than h; it's what appears in the canonical commutation relations which are the foundation of quantum theory.

Originally posted by Ambitwistor
In fact, hbar is really more fundamental than h; it's what appears in the canonical commutation relations which are the foundation of quantum theory. [/B]

Oh really? I didn't know that. I guess you learn something new everyday.

due to the length contraction etc. you might think it's c

but length contraction seldom appears in real life

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's e (as I wrote before)

Look.
c can be changed, pi is used for circles and similar figures,
g variates and G is not included.

The right answer is e, cause e^ix = cos(x) + isin(x), D(e^x)= e^x etc.
e^i2(pi)= 1

Last edited by a moderator:

Originally posted by QuantumNet
c can be changed

How exactly do you change c? Sounds fishy to me.

Originally posted by bdkeenan00
How exactly do you change c? Sounds fishy to me.

you put c to 1 and E = m and x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = t^2 etc.

The most important constant in physics is the speed of light, also known as c. This constant plays a crucial role in many fundamental equations and theories in physics, such as Einstein's theory of relativity.

Why is the speed of light considered a constant?

The speed of light is considered a constant because it is the same in all inertial reference frames. This means that no matter how fast an observer is moving, they will always measure the speed of light to be the same value. This has been experimentally verified and is a fundamental principle in physics.

What is the value of the speed of light?

The value of the speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s) in a vacuum. This value is considered a universal constant and is denoted by c in equations.

How is the speed of light used in physics?

The speed of light is used in many fundamental equations and theories in physics, such as Einstein's famous equation E=mc². It is also used in fields such as optics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of light and other electromagnetic radiation.

Are there any exceptions to the speed of light being a constant?

Although the speed of light is considered a constant in a vacuum, it can be slowed down when passing through a medium such as air or water. However, this is due to interactions with particles in the medium and does not change the actual value of the speed of light. Additionally, the theory of relativity allows for the possibility of space-time being distorted in extreme conditions, but the speed of light remains constant in these cases.