Content Generating Algorithms - Where to Start?

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algorithms
In summary, the text describes a program that can generate text that is syntactically correct, but is full of technobabble.
NeoDevin
I want to learn more about content generating algorithms (examples: http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/2007/1842077.htm" ), but I'm not sure where to begin. I have basic programming knowledge, but I figure I can learn any more advanced programming requirements as I go.

Can someone recommend some reading to start with on the subject?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
SCIgen the syntactically correct CS technobabble generator (for those moments when you wonder whether certain authors just randomly strung buzz-words together):
http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen/

Does anyone else find it hilarious that the book generating program uses automation and copy-pasting in Word instead of just generating a latex source? Sounds like wayyy more of a pain than it has to be...

Markov chains can be used.

As he spoke, it was not merely possible, but I wouldn't really be true? Could they enter any of the month, which he lived. 'Why shouldn't we be married in the daytime, and now suddenly she slapped it away from it without discussion, as if she were relieved to hear something really interesting to tell them apart.' Well, then, ask Mrs. Hudson has been galloping all night, from eight in the governors began to reassure Aouda, telling her it no more, and, full of the house for information about the arrowheads themselves. I was weak. Yes, they had found no words for this. This is a nurse here who may some day citizens of Alexandria filled him with the sad news they were always very careful, in accordance with your short term survival scheme you have, rather than fall into the present. He paused. Very likely I have. Then, for pity's sake, Help! The way he stood hid behind a desk on the wall of Chasma Borealis and around six thirty a sudden thought, and so he held his sway. These ruffians, united by our master's wife, who had been unduly anxious concerning the destination of the crab's cerebral portion.

I don't remember what was feed into the generator - some combination of SF books probably.

Noone has any suggestions on where to start learning about it?

Thanks DavidSnider, that was an interesting read. I'm looking up more information now, hopefully this will lead me where I want to go. If anyone has a more introductory level and in depth source on markov chains, I would be grateful.

The basic idea behind the text above is:

1. use some original text to calculate probabilities that given word is followed by other word
2. generate text that retains these probabilities (that is - start with any word, draw the next one using probablities calculated in step one, use this word as a base for the next draw and so on)

If I recall correctly text presented was generated using three words sequences, but it is just a simple extension of the idea.

Edit: Hm, Chasma Borealis suggests Red Mars was used as the input :smile: I really don't remember, I wrote the code several years ago.

I've heard rumors that social science papers have been generated this way and accepted into peer reviewed journals =)

Related to Content Generating Algorithms - Where to Start?

1. What are content generating algorithms?

Content generating algorithms are computer programs designed to create written or visual content, such as articles, images, or videos. These algorithms use a combination of artificial intelligence, natural language processing, and machine learning techniques to generate content based on a set of rules or input data.

2. How do content generating algorithms work?

Content generating algorithms work by analyzing and processing large amounts of data, such as text, images, or videos, and using this information to create new content. They often use pre-programmed rules or templates, as well as machine learning algorithms, to generate content that is relevant and coherent.

3. What are the benefits of using content generating algorithms?

The main benefit of using content generating algorithms is the ability to produce a large amount of content quickly and efficiently. This can save time and resources for businesses and individuals who need to regularly create content. Additionally, these algorithms can generate content that is tailored to specific audiences or topics, making it more relevant and engaging.

4. How can I get started with content generating algorithms?

To get started with content generating algorithms, it is important to have a basic understanding of programming and data analysis. There are also many online resources, tutorials, and courses available to help individuals learn more about the different types of algorithms and how to use them. It is also helpful to have a specific goal or purpose in mind for using content generating algorithms, such as creating blog posts or product descriptions.

5. What are some potential drawbacks of using content generating algorithms?

One potential drawback of using content generating algorithms is the lack of originality and human touch in the generated content. While these algorithms can produce a large quantity of content, it may lack creativity and uniqueness. Additionally, there is a risk of the generated content being biased or inaccurate if the input data contains biased or inaccurate information. It is important to carefully review and edit the generated content before publishing it.