Contact Stress Problem: Validate Nylon Clamp & Steel Tube

In summary: FE model in ansys and comparing the results.In summary, the maximum stress in the contact area is about 2.6MPa, while the FEM simulation only yields about 30MPa.
Jesper Hellmann
Hi All

I am trying to validate a nylon (PA6 Guss) clamp which has a load of 166kN on a steel tube. I am only interested in validating the clamp.
My analytical (MatLab-Octave) calculations give me a peak Von Misses stress of about 145MPa
contact stress.png

When comparing to FEM in ANSYS I only get about 30MPa
Can someone shed light on why there is such a big difference?
contact stress_b.png

-Jesper Hemmlann
M.Sc. Applied Mechanics

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jesper Hellmann said:
I am trying to validate a .
My analytical (MatLab-Octave) calculations give me a peak Von Misses stress of about 145MPa

When comparing to FEM in ANSYS I only get about 30MPa
Can someone shed light on why there is such a big difference?

-Jesper Hemmlann
M.Sc. Applied Mechanics
Who knows? Show your code and we might able to comment.

%%%Contact stress
clear all
clc
close all
graphics_toolkit('gnuplot')

%%%Material parameters
%Youngs Modulus
E_1=2.62*10^9
E_2=213*10^9
%Poisson ratio
nu_1=0.34
nu_2=0.3%Cylinder radius
%OBS (R_2= infity for a flat plate)
%OBS (a cylindrical groove is a cylinder with a negative radius)
R_1=0.055275
R_2=0.055775
L=0.2

%Force
F=166000%Contact area
b=sqrt(4*F*((1-nu_1^2)/E_1+(1-nu_2^2)/E_2)/(pi*L*(1/R_1+1/R_2)))

%maximum pressure
P_max=2*F/(pi*b*L)%stresses
i=50
z=0.000000001:(b*3)/i:(b*3);

for n=1:i
sigma_1(n)=-2*nu_1*P_max*(sqrt(z(n)^2/b^2+1)-abs(z(n)/b));
sigma_2(n)=-P_max*((2-(z(n)^2/b^2+1)^-1)*sqrt(z(n)^2/b^2+1)-2*abs(z(n)/b));
sigma_3(n)=-P_max*(sqrt((z(n)^2/b^2)+1)^(-1));

tau_1(n)=abs((sigma_2(n)-sigma_3(n))/2);
tau_2(n)=abs((sigma_1(n)-sigma_3(n))/2);
tau_3(n)=abs((sigma_1(n)-sigma_2(n))/2);
sigma_vM(n)=sqrt(sigma_1(n)^2+sigma_2(n)^2+sigma_3(n)^2-sigma_1(n)*sigma_2(n)-sigma_2(n)*sigma_3(n)-sigma_3(n)*sigma_1(n)+3*(tau_1(n)^2+tau_2(n)^2+tau_3(n)^2));
end

figure
hold on

MPa=1/10^6;
plot(z,abs(sigma_1)*MPa,'-ko', "markersize", 3)
plot(z,abs(sigma_2)*MPa,'-m^', "markersize", 3)
plot(z,abs(sigma_3)*MPa,'-.r*', "markersize", 3)
plot(z,(tau_1)*MPa,'--yv', "markersize", 3)
plot(z,(tau_2)*MPa,':bs', "markersize", 3)
plot(z,(tau_3)*MPa,'-.go', "markersize", 3)
plot(z,sigma_vM*MPa,'-bv',"markersize", 3)

legend('\sigma_x', '\sigma_y', '\sigma_z', '\tau_1','\tau_2','\tau_3','\sigma_{vM}', "location",
"northeast");
xlabel('depth of surface [m]')
ylabel('Stress [MPa]')
title('Cylinder contact stress on clamp')
grid on

%Displacement in the center of the 2 cylinders
delta_c=2*F*(1-nu_1^2)/(pi*L*E_1)*(2/3+log(4*R_1/b)+log(4*R_2/b))*(1000)

I don't know ansys and have never actually done an fea but I know you can set one up in MATLAB so maybe try to do a simplified fea in MATLAB to see if your answers get closer? That would only confirm your ansys isn't setup right, though, if you know 30 isn't right

Related to Contact Stress Problem: Validate Nylon Clamp & Steel Tube

1. What is contact stress and why is it a problem in this scenario?

Contact stress is the force per unit area that is exerted on the surface of a material when in contact with another material. In this scenario, the nylon clamp and steel tube are in contact with each other, creating a high pressure or stress at the interface which could potentially cause damage to the materials.

2. Why is it important to validate the nylon clamp and steel tube in this scenario?

Validating the materials means ensuring that they can withstand the forces and stresses that they will be subjected to in the real world. In this case, it is important to validate the nylon clamp and steel tube to prevent any failures or damage that could lead to safety hazards or costly repairs.

3. What are the factors that affect contact stress in this scenario?

The contact stress in this scenario is affected by the geometry, material properties, and forces applied to the nylon clamp and steel tube. The shape, size, and surface roughness of the materials, as well as the magnitude and direction of the applied force, can all impact the level of contact stress.

4. How can contact stress be calculated and analyzed?

Contact stress can be calculated using mathematical equations and can be analyzed through computer simulations or physical testing. By inputting the material properties and forces into the equations or simulations, the contact stress at the interface can be determined and compared to the tolerable limits for the materials.

5. What are some potential solutions to reduce contact stress in this scenario?

One solution to reduce contact stress is to use a different material for the clamp or tube that has better properties to withstand the forces and stresses. Another solution is to modify the geometry of the materials to distribute the forces more evenly. Additionally, adding a lubricant or cushioning material between the clamp and tube can also help reduce contact stress.

Back