Contact potential difference

The energy difference between these peaks is approximately 4.9 eV. Therefore, in summary, the contact potential difference in the Franck-Hertz experiment can be calculated by subtracting the energy of the minimum peak from the energy of the maximum peak.
Imagin_e

Homework Statement

Hi!
I'm writing my lab report on the Franck-Hertz experiment and I have trouble with the contact potential difference (inelastic collision). How do you calculate it?

Homework Equations

See below

The Attempt at a Solution

The energy differences between the maximum and minimum peaks lies around 4.9 eV (4.9 +/- 0.5 eV approx.) , which is the "correct" value. When it comes to the contact potential difference, I guess that I can calculate it by calculating the average between two peaks and then subtract it from the first peak? But I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
The contact potential difference (CPD) is the difference in energy between two distinct energy levels. It can be calculated by subtracting the energy of the lower level from the energy of the higher level. In the case of the Franck-Hertz experiment, the CPD is the difference between the maximum and minimum peaks. This can be calculated by subtracting the energy of the minimum peak from the energy of the maximum peak.

Related to Contact potential difference

1. What is contact potential difference?

Contact potential difference is the difference in electric potential between two materials when they are in contact with each other. It is caused by the transfer of electrons between the materials due to differences in their work functions.

2. How is contact potential difference measured?

Contact potential difference is typically measured using a Kelvin probe or a scanning tunneling microscope. These instruments use a small voltage to determine the work function of a material, which can then be used to calculate the contact potential difference.

3. What factors affect contact potential difference?

The contact potential difference between two materials is affected by the difference in their work functions, their relative positions in the electrochemical series, and the presence of any surface contaminants or oxides.

4. Why is contact potential difference important?

Contact potential difference is important in understanding the behavior of materials in electronic devices and in various chemical reactions. It can also have an impact on the performance of electrical contacts and the stability of materials in different environments.

5. How can contact potential difference be controlled or minimized?

Contact potential difference can be controlled by selecting materials with similar work functions, using surface treatments or coatings to reduce differences in work functions, and ensuring clean and well-maintained surfaces to prevent the buildup of contaminants or oxides.