Contact Forces with a Massless String

In summary: It's not practical for us to draw them for you. In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving three blocks of equal mass on a rough ramp connected by a string. The question is to calculate the acceleration of the system when a force is applied to the top block. The attempt at a solution involves drawing free body diagrams and using Newton's second law, but there was a mistake in the diagrams resulting in an incorrect acceleration calculation.
Inertialforce

Homework Statement

Three blocks of equal mass (m = 0.88kg) are placed in a row onto a rough ramp (μ=0.77) whose angle of inclination is 35 (degrees). Each block is connected to the other by a massless string. Suppose you pull upwards on the top block with a force of 34.9N. Answer the following:

a)Calculate the acceleration of the system.

Homework Equations

ΣFx

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already drawn a free body diagram, co-ordinate plane, and vector diagrams for each of the 3 masses. I also realize that the acceleration of the system holds true for anyone of the blocks, that is to say acceleration at m1 equals to acceleration at m2. Furthermore I also realize that all 3 masses are of equal mass.

My problem in trying to figure out the acceleration of the system in this case, would be isolating the acceleration ("a"), because there are a lot of tensions to take into account in this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Inertialforce said:

Homework Statement

Three blocks of equal mass (m = 0.88kg) are placed in a row onto a rough ramp (μ=0.77) whose angle of inclination is 35 (degrees). Each block is connected to the other by a massless string. Suppose you pull upwards on the top block with a force of 34.9N. Answer the following:

a)Calculate the acceleration of the system.

Homework Equations

ΣFx

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already drawn a free body diagram, co-ordinate plane, and vector diagrams for each of the 3 masses. I also realize that the acceleration of the system holds true for anyone of the blocks, that is to say acceleration at m1 equals to acceleration at m2. Furthermore I also realize that all 3 masses are of equal mass.

My problem in trying to figure out the acceleration of the system in this case, would be isolating the acceleration ("a"), because there are a lot of tensions to take into account in this question.
Sounds like your on the right track. The next step would be to write down Newton's second law for each individual block, so that you end up with a system of three linear equations.

I found the acceleration (a= 32.2m/s (squared)) for the question but when I got it handed back to me, it said to double check my free body diagrams because there was a mistake in it. This obviously would then make my acceleration calculation incorrect. I have tried to redo my free body diagrams already but would it be possible for someone to post what they would have gotten for the free body diagram(s) so that I could compare diagrams so as to understand this question better?

Inertialforce said:
I found the acceleration (a= 32.2m/s (squared)) for the question but when I got it handed back to me, it said to double check my free body diagrams because there was a mistake in it. This obviously would then make my acceleration calculation incorrect. I have tried to redo my free body diagrams already but would it be possible for someone to post what they would have gotten for the free body diagram(s) so that I could compare diagrams so as to understand this question better?
Perhaps it would be better if you posted your FBD's are we could point out where you have gone wrong.

Related to Contact Forces with a Massless String

1. What is a contact force with a massless string?

A contact force with a massless string is a force that occurs when two objects are in contact with each other, and one of the objects is connected to the other by a string with no mass. This type of force is also known as a tension force, as the string is pulling on both objects at the same time.

2. How is a contact force with a massless string different from other types of forces?

A contact force with a massless string is different from other types of forces because it only occurs when two objects are in contact with each other. Other forces, such as gravity or electromagnetic forces, can act on objects even when they are not in contact.

3. What are some examples of contact forces with massless strings?

Some examples of contact forces with massless strings include a person pulling a cart with a rope, a weight hanging from a ceiling with a string, and a person swinging a pendulum with a string. In all of these examples, the objects are connected by a string with no mass, and the force is transmitted through the string.

4. How is the tension in a massless string calculated?

The tension in a massless string can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of a massless string, the net force is equal to the tension in the string, and the acceleration is equal to the acceleration of the objects connected by the string.

5. Are there any real-world applications of contact forces with massless strings?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of contact forces with massless strings. Some examples include the use of ropes and pulleys in lifting heavy objects, the use of cables in elevators, and the use of strings in musical instruments. These forces are also important in understanding the mechanics of structures such as bridges and cranes.