Contact forces homework problem

In summary, we have two scenarios: one with a frictionless surface and one with a rough surface. In the first scenario, the accelerations of both objects are: a_1 = 0 and a_2 = F/m_2. In the second scenario, the accelerations are: a_1 = -f/m_1 and a_2 = (F-f)/m_2, where f is the friction force. The direction of the friction force changes depending on the surface condition. Finally, we can also find the friction force using the coefficient of kinetic friction, μ_k, and the normal force, N, where f = μ_k * N.
brad sue
Hello,

I have a problem and I would like to check my answers:

A mass m1 rests on top of another mass m2 , which in turn rests on a frictionless horizontal surface. A light cord is attached to
m2 ,which is used to pull on it witha force F.

a) Find the acceleration ofeach object when the surface between the two objects is frictionless.
I found for m1 : a1 =0 ( since frictionless between the surface of the 2 objects)
For m2 : a2 =F/ m2

b) Find the acceleration of each object when the surface the two objects is rough enough to ensure that m1 does not slide on m2

I found for m1 : a1 = -f1 / m1 where f1 is the friction force due to the contact of the 2 masses.

For m2 = ( f1 + F) / m2

c) What are the magnitude and direction of the contact forces exerced by the lower object on the upper one assuming that the upper object is sliding on the lower object with a non zero coefficient of kinectic μk?

For this question isn't the same as the precedent question. we just replace
f1= μk * N?

Thank you for your time

B

Physics news on Phys.org
brad sue said:
b) Find the acceleration of each object when the surface the two objects is rough enough to ensure that m1 does not slide on m2

I found for m1 : a1 = -f1 / m1 where f1 is the friction force due to the contact of the 2 masses.

For m2 = ( f1 + F) / m2

I think you have a typo there for the m2 part. Anyway, how I would solve it is:

F = (m1 + m2)a

Since the objects are one and whole, their accelerations are the same. No need to do separate calculations

brad sue said:
c) What are the magnitude and direction of the contact forces exerced by the lower object on the upper one assuming that the upper object is sliding on the lower object with a non zero coefficient of kinectic μk?

For this question isn't the same as the precedent question. we just replace
f1= μk * N?

Thank you for your time

B

This one doesn't even require the coefficient. The mass [tex]m_2[/tex] is on [tex]m_1[/tex], so undeniably, the force that is giving [tex]m_2[/tex] the acceleration forward is the frictional force. Thus, knowing it's acceleration from part b.

Ffric = Fm2 = m2 x a = μFn = μgm2

^_^

mezarashi said:
I think you have a typo there for the m2 part. Anyway, how I would solve it is:

F = (m1 + m2)a

Since the objects are one and whole, their accelerations are the same. No need to do separate calculations

This one doesn't even require the coefficient. The mass [tex]m_2[/tex] is on [tex]m_1[/tex], so undeniably, the force that is giving [tex]m_2[/tex] the acceleration forward is the frictional force. Thus, knowing it's acceleration from part b.

Ffric = Fm2 = m2 x a = μFn = μgm2

^_^

Thanks a lot mezarashi

brad sue said:

For m2 = ( f1 + F) / m2
You have the wrong sign for the friction force. The friction on m1 is in the same direction as the acceleration:
[tex]a_1 = f/m_1[/tex]
[tex]a_2 = (F - f)/m_2[/tex]
Of course, [itex]a_1 = a_2 = a[/itex], since the two blocks move together. You can solve for the acceleration.

Much easier is to realize that [itex]a = F/(m_1 + m_2)[/itex], as mezarashi suggested.

Last edited:

Related to Contact forces homework problem

1. What are contact forces?

Contact forces are forces that occur when two or more objects physically touch each other. These forces can cause objects to move, change direction, or change shape.

2. How do I identify contact forces in a homework problem?

To identify contact forces in a homework problem, look for any interactions between objects that involve physical contact. Examples of contact forces include friction, normal force, tension, and applied force.

3. What is the difference between contact forces and non-contact forces?

Contact forces require physical contact between objects, while non-contact forces can act on objects without physical contact. Examples of non-contact forces include gravity, magnetic force, and electric force.

4. How do I calculate the magnitude and direction of a contact force?

The magnitude and direction of a contact force can be calculated using Newton's Second Law, which states that force equals mass times acceleration (F=ma). The direction of the force can be determined by the direction in which the object is being pushed or pulled.

5. Can contact forces be both attractive and repulsive?

Yes, contact forces can be both attractive and repulsive. For example, the force of friction is a contact force that can be both attractive (when it slows down an object) and repulsive (when it prevents an object from sliding).