Constructive Interference of Sound waves

In summary, the problem asks to find the points (position x) of constructive interference between a pair of speakers producing a sound frequency of 2000Hz. The formula given is r2-r1=nλ, and using the equation v=fλ, the wavelength is calculated to be 0.1715m. The formula for calculating the points of constructive interference is x = (L-nλ)/2, where x represents the distance between the speakers. The midpoint between the speakers (n = 0) is a point of constructive interference and for each successive value of n, the interference moves a half wavelength towards one speaker. Negative values of n also yield possible answers, as each successive value of n moves the interference a half wavelength towards
amit25

Homework Statement

A pair of speakers connected to the same signal generator face each other, one at x=0 and the other at x=1.5m. If they are producing a sound frequency of 2000Hz what are the points (position x) of constructive interference between the speakers? Express your answer in terms of λ

Homework Equations

r2-r1=nλ

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the wavelength from v=fλ
λ=343m/s / 2000Hz
λ=0.1715m

then from r=L-nλ/2

n=0 r=1.5/2=0.75m

n=1 r=1.5-.1715/2=0.66m

n=2 r=1.5-2(0.1715)/2= 0.58m

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if you had a question here. The problem says to find values of x for constructive interference. So, I think it would be best to state your answer as values of "x" rather than "r". (You didn't actually state what "r" represents.)

The question also says to express your answers in terms of λ. [I think you did this, except it would be best to write it as x = (L-nλ)/2]

Did you find all the answers? Do you think negative values of n would yield possible answers?

Last edited:
i think r is suppose to represent distance. The question gives me the formula in terms of r
I guess my question is if my calculations are correct? Not sure if I am on the right track. I am not sure how many answers to give I wasnt told but I calculated up to 3.

amit25 said:
i think r is suppose to represent distance.

What distance? Can you describe what r represents?

The question gives me the formula in terms of r.

I didn't see any formula given in the question.

I guess my question is if my calculations are correct? Not sure if I am on the right track. I am not sure how many answers to give I wasnt told but I calculated up to 3.

Well, I think you are to find all the values of x between the speakers that correspond to constructive interference. Since one speaker is at x = 0 and the other is at x = L, you need to find all constructive interference locations x that lie between 0 and 1.5 m.

It seems to me that your equation x = (L-nλ)/2 is essentially correct . You can write this as x = L/2 - nλ/2. For n = 0, you get x = L/2. Thus, the midpoint between the speakers is a point of constructive interference. This makes sense because the sound travels the same distance from both speakers to get to this point. (The "path difference" = 0).

You can keep plugging in other integer values of n to get more values of x. As you can see, increasing n by 1 moves the point of interference a half wavelength toward the left speaker. If n gets too large, x becomes negative and therefore does not correspond to a point located between the speakers.

You should also be able to see that you can plug in negative values for n. Or, equivalently, you could write x = L/2 +nλ/2 for positive values of n. Now each successive value of n moves you a half wavelength toward the speaker on the right. When n gets too large, x will be larger than 1.5 m and therefore does not represent a point between the speakers.

[The general idea is that if you are located at a point of constructive interference, then you can get another point of constructive interference by moving a half wavelength to the right (or to the left). That's because you will move a half wavelength closer to one speaker while at the same time moving a half wavelength farther from the other speaker. So, you will have changed the "path difference" of the sound by one full wavelength.]

Therefore, the points of constructive interference between the speakers are at x=0.75m, x=0.66m, and x=0.58m. This is because at these points, the difference in distance between the two speakers (r2-r1) is equal to a whole number multiple of the wavelength (nλ), resulting in constructive interference.

Related to Constructive Interference of Sound waves

What is constructive interference of sound waves?

Constructive interference of sound waves occurs when two sound waves with the same frequency and amplitude meet and combine, resulting in a larger amplitude and louder sound. This is caused by the waves being in phase, meaning their peaks and troughs align.

How does constructive interference affect sound?

Constructive interference can significantly increase the volume or loudness of a sound. This is because the amplitudes of the two waves combine, resulting in a larger overall amplitude. This effect is commonly used in audio systems to amplify sound.

What are some examples of constructive interference in everyday life?

Constructive interference can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, in a concert, the sound from multiple speakers combines to create a louder and more immersive experience for the audience. Similarly, when two people speak near each other, their voices can combine to create a louder sound.

How is constructive interference different from destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude combine to create a larger amplitude. Destructive interference, on the other hand, occurs when two waves with opposite amplitudes cancel each other out, resulting in a smaller amplitude or even silence.

How can constructive interference be calculated or measured?

The amplitude of a sound wave can be measured using a decibel meter, and the amplitude of the resulting combined wave can be compared to the sum of the individual amplitudes. The phase difference between the waves can also be measured using an oscilloscope. Mathematically, the amplitude of the resulting wave can be calculated using the principle of superposition, where the amplitudes of the individual waves are added together.