Construction Management - Questions for Engineers & Project Managers

In summary, an engineering technology degree is not as good as a regular engineering degree when it comes to getting a PE. However, it's an option if you can't get a BS in CM or engineering.
ideafx
Hi,

I have a few questions for anyone who is currently working in construction as an engineer or project manager.

I'm an HVAC/Building controls technician/installer and I want to pursue a career in the managerial side of the business. I only have an AS degree in electromechanical technology. I believe my shortest path to a graduate degree would be to pursue a BS in general business. Then I can enroll in a MS degree program in Construction Management.

As much as I would like to pursue an an engineering degree, my schedule would not allow it. I work 50-60 hours/week. Because of this, I'm forced to pursue a business degree online from a fully (regionally) accredited university. Would not having a BS in CM or engineering present a problem if I wanted to pursue a graduate degree in CM?

I know some schools have prerequisite courses that are required for a MSCM if you don't already have a CM/Engineering degree. Some of these schools seem to be pretty flexible when it comes to the types of undergrad degrees they allow into their graduate programs. However, I'm not sure if it's going to be that way in 5-10 years. There seems to be a growing movement towards certification for CMs, and I think a CM/Engineering degree is going to be a major requirement. An MBA in CM would be ideal, but not many schools offer it right now.

Anyway, I'm a little confused as to what I should do. Your thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
montoyas7940 said:

No. Either Excelsior College or Old Dominion University.

BTW, regional accreditation is the highest form of accreditation.

ideafx said:
Hi,

I have a few questions for anyone who is currently working in construction as an engineer or project manager.

I'm an HVAC/Building controls technician/installer and I want to pursue a career in the managerial side of the business. I only have an AS degree in electromechanical technology. I believe my shortest path to a graduate degree would be to pursue a BS in general business. Then I can enroll in a MS degree program in Construction Management.

As much as I would like to pursue an an engineering degree, my schedule would not allow it. I work 50-60 hours/week. Because of this, I'm forced to pursue a business degree online from a fully (regionally) accredited university. Would not having a BS in CM or engineering present a problem if I wanted to pursue a graduate degree in CM?

I know some schools have prerequisite courses that are required for a MSCM if you don't already have a CM/Engineering degree. Some of these schools seem to be pretty flexible when it comes to the types of undergrad degrees they allow into their graduate programs. However, I'm not sure if it's going to be that way in 5-10 years. There seems to be a growing movement towards certification for CMs, and I think a CM/Engineering degree is going to be a major requirement. An MBA in CM would be ideal, but not many schools offer it right now.

Anyway, I'm a little confused as to what I should do. Your thoughts?

Old Dominion University has a distance BSET degree...are you not interested in it?

http://dl.odu.edu/database.php?todo=program&level=1

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
stewartcs said:
Old Dominion University has a distance BSET degree...are you not interested in it?

http://dl.odu.edu/database.php?todo=program&level=1

CS

I was considering it, but it's an engineering technology degree. Not a regular engineering degree. It doesn't make much sense to put in the extra work to get that degree if it's not going to allow me to get an engineering license anyway.

ideafx said:
I was considering it, but it's an engineering technology degree. Not a regular engineering degree. It doesn't make much sense to put in the extra work to get that degree if it's not going to allow me to get an engineering license anyway.

Most of the BSET degrees (at ODU) are accredited by TAC/ABET so you can get your PE. The CET degree is one of those that is accredited:

http://www.eng.odu.edu/et/academics/cet/cet.shtml

There is not that much difference in an engineering technology degree and normal engineering degree.

CS

what the heck does this have to do physics?

lubuntu said:

It has more to do with engineering, but I can't find an engineering forum with users that post regularly.

Sorry.

lubuntu said:

Nothing, that's why it was correctly posted in the Academic Guidance sub-forum.

What benefit does your comment add to the discussion?

CS

ideafx said:
It has more to do with engineering, but I can't find an engineering forum with users that post regularly.

Sorry.

No need to apologize, you posted your question in the correct place.

CS

Related to Construction Management - Questions for Engineers & Project Managers

1. What is the role of a construction manager in a project?

A construction manager oversees the planning, coordination, and execution of a construction project from start to finish. They are responsible for managing resources, creating schedules, ensuring safety regulations are followed, and communicating with stakeholders.

2. What are the key skills required for a successful construction manager?

Some key skills for a successful construction manager include strong communication and leadership abilities, excellent time management and problem-solving skills, knowledge of construction processes and techniques, and the ability to work well under pressure.

3. How does a construction manager handle project delays or setbacks?

A construction manager must be proactive in identifying potential delays and have contingency plans in place to mitigate their impact. They must also effectively communicate any delays to the project team and stakeholders and work to find solutions to get the project back on track.

4. What is the importance of risk management in construction management?

Risk management is crucial in construction management as it helps identify potential risks and develop strategies to mitigate them. This can help prevent delays, ensure safety, and minimize financial losses for the project.

5. How does technology impact construction management?

Technology has greatly improved the efficiency and accuracy of construction management. Project management software and tools, drones for site surveys, and Building Information Modeling (BIM) for planning and design are just some examples of how technology has transformed the construction industry.