Constructing the Generators of SU(8) Group in String Theory

In summary, the conversation was about finding the generators of the SU(8) group and constructing them. The suggestion was to start with the Levi-Civita tensor and construct them in the adjoint representation. However, it was also mentioned that in string theory, it is not necessary to explicitly have the elements expressed in matrix form. The individual's project was focused on finding a flat direction in string theory.
robousy
Hey folks,

Anyone have any idea where I might find the generators of the SU(8) group, or how I might construct them??

Thanks!

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

You could try this page as a starting point... if IIRC the structure constants are just the Levi-Civita tensor (up to a factor plus or minus i :smile:) so you could easily construct them in - for example - the adjoint representation.

But may I ask why on Earth you would want to explicitly construct them?

Thanks compuChip. I'm working on a string inspired model building project and I'm trying to find something called a flat direction. My supervisor has me looking at SU(8).

Hmm, sorry, cannot give you any sensible advise on that.
Let me just point out that, in what I've seen so far of string theory (in particular, and theoretical physics in general) one usually needs to know the algebra and there is no need to explicitly have the elements themselves expressed in some matrix form. So all I can recommend to you is: think carefully if there isn't a way to do the calculation knowing just the commutation relations.

But maybe someone more knowledgeable can give you more sensible ideas :smile:

Related to Constructing the Generators of SU(8) Group in String Theory

1. What is the SU(8) group?

The SU(8) group, also known as the Special Unitary Group of degree 8, is a mathematical group that consists of all 8x8 unitary matrices with determinant 1. It is a type of Lie group, which is a group that is also a smooth manifold.

2. What are the generators of the SU(8) group?

The generators of the SU(8) group are 63 complex matrices that are used to generate all other matrices in the group through linear combinations. These generators are often represented as the Gell-Mann matrices, which are a set of matrices commonly used in the study of SU(N) groups.

3. How are the generators of the SU(8) group related to the Lie algebra?

The generators of the SU(8) group form a basis for the Lie algebra, which is a vector space that captures the algebraic structure of the group. The Lie algebra associated with the SU(8) group is known as su(8) and has a dimension of 63.

4. What are some applications of the SU(8) group?

The SU(8) group has applications in various fields such as particle physics, quantum mechanics, and string theory. It is used to describe the symmetries of certain physical systems and to study the behavior of particles and their interactions.

5. Is the SU(8) group important in the study of symmetry breaking?

Yes, the SU(8) group is an important tool in the study of symmetry breaking, which is the phenomenon where a system exhibits a lower level of symmetry than its underlying laws. This group is particularly relevant in the study of grand unified theories, which attempt to unify all fundamental interactions in physics.