Constructing a Valid Coordinate System for Local Flatness in General Relativity

In summary, Schutz's proof of the local flatness result requires the use of an existing coordinate system and an arbitrary field of the Jacobian matrix, which is not well-defined.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hello all

I am trying to teach myself general relativity and am working through the text 'a first course in general relativity' by Bernard F Schutz. So far I have made slow but consistent progress but I am perplexed by his derivation of the ‘local flatness’ result. This says that for any point P on a four-dimensional differentiable manifold M with metric tensor field g there exists a coordinate system [itex]\tilde{C}[/itex] on an open neighbourhood U of P such that the component representation [itex] g_{\tilde{\alpha}\tilde{\eta}} [/itex] of g under the coordinate basis [itex]O_{\tilde{C}}[/itex] for [itex]T_PM[/itex] satisfies:

1. [itex]g_{\tilde{\alpha}\tilde{\eta}}|_P = -1\ if\ \tilde{\alpha}=\tilde{\eta}=0,\ 1\ if\ \tilde{\alpha}=\tilde{\eta}>0,\ otherwise\ 0 [/itex]
2. [itex]g_{\tilde{\alpha}\tilde{\eta}},_{\tilde{\gamma}}|_P = 0\ for\ all\ \tilde{\alpha},\tilde{\eta},\tilde{\gamma}\ in\ \{0,1,2,3\}[/itex]

Schutz’s proof proceeds by considering an existing coordinate system C on U and a new coordinate system [itex]\tilde{C}[/itex] (also defined on U) and the field of the Jacobian matrix field [itex] \Lambda[/itex] of the coordinate transformation function [itex]\psi = \tilde{C} \circ C^{-1}[/itex]. He shows that the first two terms of the Taylor series for [itex]g_{\tilde{\alpha}\tilde{\eta}}|_Q [/itex] under basis [itex]O_{\tilde{C}}[/itex] (for Q in U) depend on [itex] \Lambda^\alpha_{\tilde{\eta}}|_P[/itex] and [itex]\Lambda^\alpha_{\tilde{\eta}},_{\tilde{\gamma}}|_P[/itex], and that there are sufficient independent components of these two arrays that they can be chosen in such a way as to satsfy 1 and 2.

Schutz gives up at this point and leaves the reader to fend for himself.

My attempt to complete the proof (ie construct a coordinate system [itex]\tilde{C}[/itex] with the required properties) is as follows:

First, note that the matrix of which we are choosing components is actually that of the inverse transformation [itex]\psi^{-1} = C \circ \tilde{C}^{-1}[/itex], because the tildes are over the lower indices rather than the upper indices (although that's not so easy to see in this Tex system, which looks very fuzzy on my computer!). Let us choose all components of second and higher derivatives of the inverse matrix to be zero everywhere on U. This gives us a matrix field on U, which we call [itex]\Lambda^{-1}[/itex] and the (matrix multiplicative) inverse of that field is another matrix field [itex]\Lambda[/itex] on U. If each row of [itex]\Lambda[/itex] is the gradient of a scalar field on U then [itex]\Lambda[/itex] is a Jacobian and uniquely defines a coordinate system [itex]\tilde{C}[/itex] on U, up to translation.
But how can we be sure that each row is the gradient of a scalar field? We didn’t define the rows as gradients or one-forms, in fact they were chosen in a fairly arbitrary fashion, just in order to satisfy the unrelated conditions 1 and 2.

We can try defining a scalar field at a point X in C(U) as the integral of a row of [itex]\Lambda[/itex] along a path starting at C(P) and ending at X. But that integral is only well-defined if it is path-independent, and the only helpful theorem I can find is one that says that if you integrate a vector field that is the gradient of a scalar field then it’s path independent. ie you need to assume the conclusion in order to prove it!

So how can we show that the matrix field chosen to satisfy 1 and 2 leads to a valid, well-defined coordinate system [itex]\tilde{C}[/itex]?

Thanks very much for any help anybody can provide with this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
try / not \

and replace every \single-quote with '.

I would suggest that you look for the term "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_coordinates" " or "geodesic coordinates". The monograph by Chern, Chen and Lam quoted in Wikipedia has a proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lee covers Riemannian normal coordinates pretty well, I think.

Thanks for the refs to Lee and to Chern Chen and Lam. I will look them up and follow the proofs in there.

Related to Constructing a Valid Coordinate System for Local Flatness in General Relativity

1. What is the concept of "Local flatness of spacetime"?

The concept of "local flatness of spacetime" refers to the idea that in a small region of space, the effects of gravity and curvature of spacetime can be ignored and the laws of special relativity can be applied. This is due to the fact that gravity is a weak force and its effects are not noticeable at a small scale. However, on a larger scale, the curvature of spacetime becomes significant and the laws of general relativity must be used.

2. How is "Local flatness of spacetime" related to the theory of relativity?

"Local flatness of spacetime" is a concept that is central to the theory of relativity. The theory of special relativity states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference. This means that in a small region of spacetime, the effects of gravity can be ignored and the laws of special relativity can be applied. On the other hand, the theory of general relativity explains how gravity is the curvature of spacetime and how it affects the motion of objects. Therefore, in a larger region of spacetime, the laws of general relativity must be used to accurately describe the effects of gravity.

3. Can we observe the "Local flatness of spacetime" in our everyday lives?

Yes, we can observe the "local flatness of spacetime" in our everyday lives. In our daily experiences, the effects of gravity are not noticeable on a small scale. For example, when we drop a pen, it falls to the ground due to the force of gravity. However, on a larger scale, such as the motion of planets or galaxies, the curvature of spacetime becomes significant and the effects of gravity can be observed.

4. How do scientists measure the "Local flatness of spacetime"?

Scientists measure the "local flatness of spacetime" by using mathematical equations and tools such as tensor calculus and the Riemann curvature tensor. These tools allow scientists to calculate the curvature of spacetime and determine whether it is locally flat or not. Additionally, experiments such as the famous Eddington experiment, which demonstrated the bending of light by massive objects, also provide evidence for the curvature of spacetime.

5. Why is the concept of "Local flatness of spacetime" important in understanding the universe?

The concept of "local flatness of spacetime" is important in understanding the universe because it helps us make sense of the fundamental laws of physics. It allows us to apply the laws of special relativity in small regions of spacetime and the laws of general relativity in larger regions. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in our universe, such as planets, stars, and galaxies, and how they are affected by gravity. Additionally, the concept of "local flatness of spacetime" is a fundamental part of the theory of relativity, which is one of the pillars of modern physics.