Constructing a Set with One Element from Each Uncountably Infinite Subset

In summary: Therefore, the difference between countable and uncountable sets is still relevant. In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a set W that contains one element from each subset A_i, where A_i is either a countably infinite or uncountably infinite set. The Axiom of Choice is mentioned, which states that for any non-empty set X, there exists a choice function f defined on X. However, this does not guarantee the existence of W, as it requires pairwise disjoint sets. The difference between countable and uncountable sets is still relevant in this discussion.
SW VandeCarr
Given a set of sets such that [tex]A_{i}\subset{C}[/tex]. Every subset has a countable infinity of elements. I want to create a set [tex]W[/tex] such that it contains exactly one element from each subset [tex]A_{i}[/tex]. I presume I can do this by describing the intersect of [tex]W[/tex] with every subset [tex]A_{i}[/tex] as containing exactly one element.

Now if, instead, I say that every subset [tex]A_{i}[/tex] is an uncountably infinite set of elements, can I still do this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Petek said:
Are you familiar with the Axiom of Choice?

Yes, I am (as well as Dedekind cuts). However, I wanted to know if I could describe it just this way: that every intersect of W with A_i can contain exactly one element even when there are uncountably many elements in each A_i. This means we can derive the attribute of countability from an uncountable set since W is a countable set. This would seem to obviate the difference between countable infinite sets and uncountable infinite sets.

Last edited:
Even in the countable case, you can't always do that. For example, let
[tex]A_i = \{z \in \mathbb{Z} : z > i\}[/tex] for positive integer i.
Suppose that z is the smallest element of W (which must exist since W is a subset of the integers greater than 1). Then z appears once in all sets A_i where i < z, and zero times in all sets A_i where i >= z. So W can't consist of just z, so it must have a second-smallest element z' > z. However, z' and z are both elements of each A_i where i < z, when you specified that each element of W can only appear once in each A_i. So W can't exist.

It would be a different story if the A_i are pairwise disjoint.

Last edited:
mXSCNT said:
Even in the countable case, you can't always do that. For example, let
[tex]A_i = \{z \in \mathbb{Z} : z > i\}[/tex] for positive integer i.
Suppose that z is the smallest element of W (which must exist since W is a subset of the integers greater than 1). Then z appears once in all sets A_i where i < z, and zero times in all sets A_i where i >= z. So W can't consist of just z, so it must have a second-smallest element z' > z. However, z' and z are both elements of each A_i where i < z, when you specified that each element of W can only appear once in each A_i. So W can't exist.

It would be a different story if the A_i are pairwise disjoint.

Then you're saying the Axiom of Choice is "wrong" (if an axiom can be wrong) unless we specify just how W is constructed?

SW VandeCarr said:
Then you're saying the Axiom of Choice is "wrong" (if an axiom can be wrong) unless we specify just how W is constructed?

No. To use Choice, you need pairwise disjoint sets. Your W may not always exist, that's all.

Dragonfall said:
No. To use Choice, you need pairwise disjoint sets. Your W may not always exist, that's all.

OK. That means we can have countably infinite sets A_i which are pairwise disjoint sets if we define them as, for example, each set A_i consists of all powers of a particular prime unique to that set. For uncountably infinite sets A_i any unique non-overlapping interval on the real number line for each A_i will do.

However, no specifications are given by the AC. All it says (one version from the Wiki) is "For any non-empty set X there exists a choice function f defined on X." This version doesn't even seem to preclude choosing the same element more than once. My Borowski & Borwein math dictionary states "..from every family of disjoint sets, a set can be constructed containing exactly one element from each (set?) of the given family of sets." These two definitions don't seem to me to be exactly the same. Moreover, having a family of disjoint sets isn't the same as a set of pairwise disjoint sets. For example {{{1, 2},{3,4}}{{2,4},{1,3}}} is a set of pairwise disjoint sets, but is not itself a set of disjoint sets.

Last edited:
Every set that is pairwise disjoint is disjoint. Your example is a disjoint set.

First, AC only states that the choice function exists for the power set of X. Second, the existence of that choice function does not mean the existence of your W set.

Related to Constructing a Set with One Element from Each Uncountably Infinite Subset

1. How do you choose elements from a set?

To choose elements from a set, you can use a variety of methods such as random sampling, systematic sampling, or stratified sampling. It is important to consider the purpose of your study and the characteristics of the set when selecting a sampling method.

2. What is the importance of choosing elements from sets?

Choosing elements from sets is important because it allows you to gather representative data and make accurate conclusions about the entire set. It also helps in reducing time and resources required for collecting data from the entire set.

3. Can you explain the difference between random and systematic sampling?

Random sampling involves selecting elements randomly from a set, without any specific pattern. Systematic sampling, on the other hand, involves selecting elements at regular intervals from a set, using a predetermined starting point. Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages, and the choice depends on the nature of the set and the research objectives.

4. How do you ensure the elements chosen from sets are representative of the entire set?

To ensure that the elements chosen from sets are representative, it is important to use a proper sampling method that takes into account the characteristics of the set. Additionally, the sample size should be large enough to accurately reflect the diversity of the set.

5. What is the impact of choosing elements from sets on the validity of a study?

The process of choosing elements from sets has a significant impact on the validity of a study. If the elements are not chosen properly, it can lead to biased results and affect the generalizability of the study. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully consider the sampling method and ensure that the chosen elements are representative of the entire set.