Construct uncountably dense and holes everywhere

• Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Holes
In summary, the set X is dense in [0,1], and its complement has measure zero. However, if you remove any chunk of [0,1] containing rationals, you will also remove the rationals from the remaining set.
jostpuur
I want to define a set [itex]X\subset [0,1][/itex], without using the axiom of choice, with the following property: Both [itex][a,b]\cap X[/itex] and [itex][a,b]\backslash X[/itex] are uncountable for all [itex][a,b]\subset [0,1][/itex] where [itex]a<b[/itex].

I don't know how to define [itex]X[/itex] so that [itex][a,b]\cap X[/itex] would always be uncountable without [itex]X[/itex] containing some interval. But if it contains some interval, then [itex][a,b]\backslash X[/itex] will be empty sometimes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. I invented a solution now.

Now the problem is left as a challenge to the rest.

My solution has the property [itex]m^*(X)=0[/itex]. I'm still interested to know if the [itex]X[/itex] can be defined in such way that [itex]0<m^*(X)< 1[/itex].

jostpuur said:
I want to define a set [itex]X\subset [0,1][/itex], without using the axiom of choice, with the following property: Both [itex][a,b]\cap X[/itex] and [itex][a,b]\backslash X[/itex] are uncountable for all [itex][a,b]\subset [0,1][/itex] where [itex]a<b[/itex].

I don't know how to define [itex]X[/itex] so that [itex][a,b]\cap X[/itex] would always be uncountable without [itex]X[/itex] containing some interval. But if it contains some interval, then [itex][a,b]\backslash X[/itex] will be empty sometimes.

Consider [itex]X:=\{x\in[0,1]\backslash \mathbb{Q}: \text{the decimal expansion of } x \text{ contains only finitely many, say, }0\text{'s and }9\text{'s}\}[/itex]. This set is uncountably dense in [0,1] and so is its complement, though I'm not sure about their measures.

jibbles said:
Consider [itex]X:=\{x\in[0,1]\backslash \mathbb{Q}: \text{the decimal expansion of } x \text{ contains only finitely many, say, }0\text{'s and }9\text{'s}\}[/itex]. This set is uncountably dense in [0,1] and so is its complement, though I'm not sure about their measures.

I think you can calculate its measure like this:

Start with 0: if there are no 0's in the expansion, then you remove from [0,1]:

i.1)The segment from 0 to 0.1 , with measure 0.1

ii.1)The segment from 0.1 to 0.11 , with measure 0.01

n.1)The segment from 0.11111 ( n 1's) to 0.111111 (n+1-ones)

i.2) The segment from 0.2 to 0.21

And you do the same thing by removing the segments :

i.1') From 0.9 to 1

ii.1') From 0.09 to 0.1

etc.

Bacle2 said:
I think you can calculate its measure like this:

Start with 0: if there are no 0's in the expansion, then you remove from [0,1]:

i.1)The segment from 0 to 0.1 , with measure 0.1

ii.1)The segment from 0.1 to 0.11 , with measure 0.01

n.1)The segment from 0.11111 ( n 1's) to 0.111111 (n+1-ones)

i.2) The segment from 0.2 to 0.21

And you do the same thing by removing the segments :

i.1') From 0.9 to 1

ii.1') From 0.09 to 0.1

etc.

I'm confused. If X is dense in [0,1], wouldn't removing segments of [0,1] also be removing chunks of X? ... or maybe I'm the one being dense.

jibbles said:
I'm confused. If X is dense in [0,1], wouldn't removing segments of [0,1] also be removing chunks of X? ... or maybe I'm the one being dense.

Actually, you are right in that I should throw the rationals back-in after removing all the
other parts. If this is what you meant, you're right --but remember that the Rationals
have measure zero. If not, please read-on:

Modulo the above, I don't think so; you are removing chunks of [0,1] itself, and X is what remains after all these parts are removed and you throw Q back-in. After you remove all the chunks between a_n=0 and a_(n+1) for n≥1 , same for a_n=9 , then removing all the points in
the segment/interval [an,an+1 ], you will remove all the Irrationals
with either 0-or-9 in their decimal expansion, BUT you will also remove the Rationals in the segment. Then you can throw the Rationals back-in. But remember that the Rationals have
Lebesgue measure zero, so removing the whole chunk with Rationals included will not affect
the measure of the remaining set.

Bacle2 said:
Actually, you are right in that I should throw the rationals back-in after removing all the
other parts. If this is what you meant, you're right --but remember that the Rationals
have measure zero. If not, please read-on:

Modulo the above, I don't think so; you are removing chunks of [0,1] itself, and X is what remains after all these parts are removed and you throw Q back-in. After you remove all the chunks between a_n=0 and a_(n+1) for n≥1 , same for a_n=9 , then removing all the points in
the segment/interval [an,an+1 ], you will remove all the Irrationals
with either 0-or-9 in their decimal expansion, BUT you will also remove the Rationals in the segment. Then you can throw the Rationals back-in. But remember that the Rationals have
Lebesgue measure zero, so removing the whole chunk with Rationals included will not affect
the measure of the remaining set.
But there are elements of X in all those segments you're removing. Let me repeat: X is the set of all irrationals whose decimal expansion contains at most finitely many 0s and 9s. So, for example, 0.00125225222522225 ... (nonrepeating sequence) is an element of X in [0, 0.1].

Sorry, I misread the definition of your set; I thought it was the collection of irrationals that contained neither a zero nor a nine in their expansion.

Related to Construct uncountably dense and holes everywhere

1. What does it mean for a set to be uncountably dense?

A set is considered uncountably dense if it contains an infinite number of elements, and every real number between any two elements in the set is also included in the set.

2. How can a set be both uncountably dense and have holes everywhere?

This means that there are gaps or missing elements within the set, even though it is still infinite and uncountably dense. These holes can be thought of as points that are not included in the set, but still exist within the set's framework.

3. Can you provide an example of a set that is uncountably dense and has holes everywhere?

One example of such a set is the Cantor set, which is created by repeatedly removing the middle third of a line segment. This set is uncountably dense, but also has an infinite number of holes or gaps.

4. How is the concept of uncountably dense and holes everywhere relevant in mathematics?

This concept is important in the study of real numbers, as it helps to define and understand the properties of infinite sets. It also has applications in topology, where it is used to describe the structure of certain spaces.

5. Is it possible for a set to be uncountably dense without having any holes?

Yes, it is possible for a set to be uncountably dense and have no holes. An example of such a set is the set of all real numbers between 0 and 1, which contains an infinite number of elements and has no gaps or holes.