Troubleshooting Chemical Equations: Tips for Balancing and Correcting Formulas"

• Thread starter The_Brain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balance
In summary, the conversation is about balancing a chemical equation involving magnesium hydroxide, ammonium phosphate, magnesium phosphate, ammonia, and water. The forumla provided is not balanced and needs to be corrected by balancing the number of atoms on both sides of the equation. A strategy for balancing is suggested and a corrected balanced equation is provided.
The_Brain
I'm having trouble balancing this equation. I'm positive I've written the forumla out correctly. Maybe there is a typo somewhere...

The question is:

magnesium hydroxide(aq) + ammonium phosphate(aq) --> magnesium phosphate(c) + ammonia(g) + water(l)

This is the forumla I wrote out as:

MgOH(2) + (NH(4))3PO(4) --> Mg(3)(PO(4))2 + NH(3) + H(2)O

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Your reaction is not balanced, look at the numner of oxygen atoms you have before and after the reaction.. neogenesis? :P

O: 14 to 9
check out your other atoms and figure out what is wrong with the equation.

Mg for instance, before the reaction you have got one molecule, after you magically have 3?

Ok based on the equation you gave, I think I got her.

3Mg(OH)2 + 2(NH4)3PO4 ---> Mg3(PO4)2 + 6NH3 + 6H20

I balanced it in this order:
1. balance P
2. balance N
3. balance Mg
4. balance O
5. balance H

I think a good stragegy might be balancing the atoms first, which are present only in one molecule at each side of the arrow.

So Shawn, your example is good since H was balanced last, O one before the last. That is good thinking.

3Mg(OH)2 + 2(NH4)3PO4 ---> Mg3(PO4)2 + 6NH3 + 6H20

[tex]3Mg(OH)_2 + 2(NH_4)_3PO_4 \longrightarrow Mg_3(PO_4)_2 + 6NH_3 + 6H_2O[/tex]

What does it mean to "balance the equation"?

When balancing an equation, you are adjusting the number of atoms on each side of the equation to ensure that the law of conservation of mass is satisfied. This means that the number of atoms on the reactant side must be equal to the number of atoms on the product side.

Why is it important to balance equations?

Balancing equations is important because it accurately represents the reaction taking place. It also helps in determining the correct stoichiometric relationships between reactants and products.

How do I balance an equation?

To balance an equation, you can use the following steps:

1. Write down the unbalanced equation with the correct chemical formulas.
  2. Count the number of atoms on each side of the equation.
  3. Choose an element to start balancing with and adjust the coefficients to balance the number of atoms on each side.
  4. Repeat this process for each element until the equation is balanced.
  5. Check your work to make sure that the number of atoms on each side of the equation are equal.

What happens if I don't balance an equation?

If an equation is not balanced, it means that the number of atoms on the reactant side is not equal to the number of atoms on the product side. This violates the law of conservation of mass and makes the equation incorrect.

Are there any shortcuts for balancing equations?

There are no shortcuts for balancing equations, but with practice, you can develop strategies to balance equations more efficiently. Some tips include starting with the most complex molecule, using fractions as coefficients, and double-checking your work.