Construct a function given two asymptotes

In summary: So adding 8x+7 would make the function go from the origin to 8x+7 but I don't know what else would happen inbetween).
Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem
Giva an example of a function ## f(x) ## that has one vertical asymptote at ## x = -1 ## and
and another asymptote that is ## y=8x+7 ##.

Translated from Swedish.

The attempt
I know that I should use the hyperbola here but I am not sure how to adapt the hyporbola to the tilting asymptote. Can anyone help please?

Hyperbola:
##(\frac{x}{a})^2-(\frac{y}{b})^2 = 1##
or
##(\frac{y}{b})^2-(\frac{x}{a})^2 = 1 ##
(I gess that doesn't matter which one I choose since both can satisfy our demands. )

My first thought was to move the whole function f 7 units of length up ,thus the function we are looking fore (lets call it g) is f(x) +7. I now have to adjust the formula above to the tilt of 8.

##(\frac{x}{a})^2-(\frac{y}{b})^2 = 1 \\ (\frac{y}{b})^2 =(\frac{x}{a})^2- 1 \\ (\frac{y}{b}) = \pm \sqrt{(\frac{x}{a})^2- 1} \\ ##
1 goes away for when x-> ##\infty##

## (\frac{y}{b}) = \pm \sqrt{(\frac{x}{a})^2- 1} \\ \frac{y}{b} = \pm \sqrt{(\frac{x}{a})^2} ##

There are 2 asymptotes here

## \frac{y}{b} = \sqrt{ (\frac{x}{a})^2 } \\ y = \frac{xb}{a} ##

and

## \frac{y}{b} = - \sqrt{ (\frac{x}{a})^2 } \\ y = - \frac{xb}{a} ##

the tilt (k) is thus

## k=\frac{b}{a} \\ 8=\frac{b}{a} ##

or
the tilt (k) is thus

## k = \frac{-b}{a} \\ 8 = \frac{-b}{a} ##

We can pick a=1 and adjust b accordingly.

## 8 = -\frac{b}{1} \\ -8 = b ##A hyporbola where a = 1 and b=-8 does satisfy (hopefully :) ) our requierments.
## (x)^2-( \frac{y}{-8} )^2 = 1##

this one is not a function though so I rearranged the the formula (removed one half of the range not sure if there is a proper word for it) and got the following function
$$ f(x) = 8 \sqrt{x^2-1} $$

therefore

$$ g(x) = 8 \sqrt{x^2-1} + 7 $$
but fore some reason that was wrong...

Can somone please help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does your function ##
g(x) = 8 \sqrt{x^2-1} + 7## have a vertical asymptote at x = -1?

Do not stick to the hyperbola.
What can be a very simple function g(x) which has a vertical asymptote at x=-1? So as g(x) goes to +or - infinity when x-->-1?
You get an asymptote y=8x+7 by using a factor that tends to 1 when x goes to infinity. Use g(x) in this factor.

Last edited:
Rectifier said:
The problem
Giva an example of a function ## f(x) ## that has one vertical asymptote at ## x = -1 ## and
and another asymptote that is ## y=8x+7 ##.

Translated from Swedish.

The attempt
I know that I should use the hyperbola here but I am not sure how to adapt the hyperbola to the tilting asymptote. Can anyone help please?

Hyperbola:
##(\frac{x}{a})^2-(\frac{y}{b})^2 = 1##
or
##(\frac{y}{b})^2-(\frac{x}{a})^2 = 1 ##
(I gess that doesn't matter which one I choose since both can satisfy our demands. )
therefore,$$ g(x) = 8 \sqrt{x^2-1} + 7 $$
but fore some reason that was wrong...

Can someone please help?
For get the hyperbola. It doesn't have a vertical asymptote.

Try a rational function. One which has the desired vertical asymptote ans also has a slant asymptote.

Thank you for your help!

SammyS said:
For get the hyperbola. It doesn't have a vertical asymptote.

Try a rational function. One which has the desired vertical asymptote ans also has a slant asymptote.

Forgot that I had that other asymptote too...

##f(x)= \frac{1}{x+1}##

has a vertical asymptote but I am not sure how to get that slant asymptote though...

Rectifier said:
Thank you for your help!
Forgot that I had that other asymptote too...

##f(x)= \frac{1}{x+1}##

has a vertical asymptote but I am not sure how to get that slant asymptote though...
What is the behavior of ##\displaystyle \ f(x)= \frac{1}{x+1}\ ## as ##\displaystyle \ x \to \pm \infty \ ?##

Likes Rectifier
SammyS said:
What is the behavior of ##\displaystyle \ f(x)= \frac{1}{x+1}\ ## as ##\displaystyle \ x \to \pm \infty \ ?##
f(x) -> 0

Rectifier said:
f(x) -> 0
That's correct.

What happens if you add the function ##\ h(x) =8x+7\ ## to ##\ f(x)\ ?##

Likes Rectifier
SammyS said:
That's correct.

What happens if you add the function ##\ h(x) =8x+7\ ## to ##\ f(x)\ ?##
Add like + or should I multiply it?

Try thinking about this! If you were to multiply the two functions what would you get as x goes to infinity? What if you added then?

Likes Rectifier
HallsofIvy said:
Try thinking about this! If you were to multiply the two functions what would you get as x goes to infinity? What if you added then?
Thank you for the reply.

I have seriously no idea of what would hapen (I guess that there is no easy answer since the behaviour of the product is so unpredictable - at least for me) :,( I have tried to simplify it with same functions like f(x)=x and g(x)=x f(x)g(x)=x^2 but there is no good easy answer. Its easier when you add stuff since then you just add the values from each function together for all x-es. The easiest case is when you add a constant function since you basically move the graph up or down.

Rectifier said:
Thank you for the reply.

I have seriously no idea of what would hapen (I guess that there is no easy answer since the behaviour of the product is so unpredictable - at least for me) :,( I have tried to simplify it with same functions like f(x)=x and g(x)=x f(x)g(x)=x^2 but there is no good easy answer. Its easier when you add stuff since then you just add the values from each function together for all x-es. The easiest case is when you add a constant function since you basically move the graph up or down.
Try it each way .

For addition: If f(x) → 0 for large x, then what is the effect at large x, if you add f(x) to some other function?

For multiplication: If f(x) → 0 for large x, and you multiply it by a function that goes to ±, then you need to investigate further, which isn't too difficult. Otherwise, what do you suppose happens to the product (multiplication) for large x ?

Related to Construct a function given two asymptotes

What is a function with two asymptotes?

A function with two asymptotes is a mathematical expression that approaches two distinct lines as its input variable increases or decreases without bound.

How do you construct a function given two asymptotes?

To construct a function given two asymptotes, you need to find two equations for the asymptotes and then combine them with a function that approaches these lines as its input variable increases or decreases without bound.

What are some common types of asymptotes?

The most common types of asymptotes are horizontal, vertical, and oblique. A horizontal asymptote is a line that the function approaches as its input variable increases or decreases without bound. A vertical asymptote is a line that the function approaches but never crosses. An oblique asymptote is a slanted line that the function approaches as its input variable increases or decreases without bound.

Can a function have more than two asymptotes?

Yes, a function can have more than two asymptotes. The number of asymptotes a function has depends on the complexity of the function and its behavior as the input variable approaches infinity or negative infinity.

What is the importance of understanding functions with two asymptotes?

Understanding functions with two asymptotes is important because they are often used to model real-world phenomena and can help us make predictions and solve problems in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. Additionally, understanding asymptotes can help us better understand the behavior of functions and their limits.