Constraint equation for a solid disk

In summary, the conversation involved discussing how to write the equation of constraint for a solid disk attached to a spring and rolling without slipping. The main points discussed were choosing an appropriate coordinate system, analyzing the movement of a point on the disk as it rolls, and determining the origin and distance parameters for the disk and spring. A diagram was also provided for clarity.
Niner49er52

Homework Statement

I'm wondering how to write the equation of constraint for a solid disk (mass m, radius R) that is attached to a spring (spring constant k) and rolls without slipping. Any suggestions?

Homework Equations

there are no equations to use, but this has to do with lagrange's equations of motion

The Attempt at a Solution

my first thought was to set this equal to the arclength, but realized that wouldn't work as it is attached to a spring. I am just unsure of how to incorporate the spring into the equation

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step is to choose an appropriate coordinate system...I can think of at least two reasonable choices for the origin..how about you?

The next step is to analyze what happens to a point on the disk as it rolls...I would look at the point where the spring is connected...what happens to this point?

lets choose the y-direction to be the way in which it is rolling. the disk is rolling about that point

Where are you setting the origin here?

say the disk is near the center of the hypotenuse of a right traingle. the spring is attached at the very top of the triangle and is connected to the disk

i guess we could say it is at a height h above the ground as well, and if the length of the hypotenuse is L, and the angle is some alpha, then that height would be (L-y)sin(alpha)

for the disk itself, it will roll through a distance, or arclength, which is why i first thought the constraint would be its radius times the angle at which it rolls through, theta

ive attached a diagram i made of this so it is easier to understand

Attachments

• constraint.jpg
    constraint.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 410
Hmmm okay, so the disk is rolling down an incline...is the spring attached to the center of the disk or to a point on the disk's circumference?

[itex]L[/itex] is the distance from the spring's equilibrium point to the bottom of the incline?

is [itex]q[/itex] the distance from the spring equilibrium point to the center of the disk or to a point on the disk's circumference?

it is attached to the center of the disk. L is the total distance of the incline. and i made q the direction of motion, it isn't an actual distance in the diagram

sorry i realize how that was confusing, i should have made h=(L-q)sin(alpha) rather than that y

also forgot to add a value for the unstretched length of the string, i guess l(naught) would work fine

Related to Constraint equation for a solid disk

1. What is a constraint equation for a solid disk?

A constraint equation for a solid disk is an equation that describes the relationship between the variables that govern the motion of a solid disk. It takes into account the physical constraints of the disk, such as its shape and size, and helps to determine its motion under different conditions.

2. Why is a constraint equation important for a solid disk?

A constraint equation is important for a solid disk because it allows us to accurately predict and analyze its motion. Without taking into account the constraints of the disk, our calculations and predictions may not be accurate and could lead to errors in our understanding of its behavior.

3. What are the variables included in a constraint equation for a solid disk?

The variables included in a constraint equation for a solid disk typically include the disk's mass, radius, and moment of inertia, as well as external forces and torques acting on the disk. These variables are used to describe the disk's motion and its response to external influences.

4. How is a constraint equation derived for a solid disk?

A constraint equation for a solid disk is typically derived using principles of classical mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy and momentum. These principles are applied to the specific constraints and conditions of the disk to create an equation that accurately describes its behavior.

5. What are some practical applications of a constraint equation for a solid disk?

A constraint equation for a solid disk has many practical applications, such as in the design and analysis of rotating machinery, such as engines and turbines. It is also used in robotics and control systems to understand and control the motion of solid disks in various mechanical systems.