Constant Torque Find magnitude of friction force

In summary, a grinding wheel of radius 0.330m is brought to rest by a constant friction force, producing a torque of 72.1 N*m. The magnitude of the friction force can be found using the equation torque = I * alpha, where I = 1/2MR^2. We are not given a mass, so the solution is simpler than initially thought.
sarahjt1

Homework Statement

A grinding wheel of radius 0.330m rotating on a frictionless axle is brought to rest by applying a constant friction force tangential to its rim. The constant torque produced by this force is 72.1 N*m. Find the magnitude of the friction force.

I'm honestly lost at even starting this problem but below are some equations that I THINK are relevant but I don't really know.

Homework Equations

torque=I alpha, where I = 1/2MR^2.

This is where I get confused because we are not given a mass....

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind... silly me. Much simpler than I thought.

To find the magnitude of the friction force, we need to use the equation for torque, which is equal to the product of the force and the distance from the axis of rotation. In this case, the distance from the axis of rotation is the radius of the grinding wheel, 0.330m. So we can write the equation as:

Torque = Force * Distance

We are given that the torque produced by the friction force is 72.1 N*m. So we can rewrite the equation as:

72.1 N*m = Force * 0.330m

Solving for the force, we get:

Force = 72.1 N*m / 0.330m = 218.48 N

Therefore, the magnitude of the friction force is 218.48 N.

Related to Constant Torque Find magnitude of friction force

1. What is constant torque?

Constant torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object, which remains consistent over time. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

2. How is constant torque calculated?

To calculate constant torque, you need to know the lever arm (the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied) and the force applied. The formula for constant torque is torque = force x lever arm.

3. What is the significance of constant torque?

Constant torque is important in many applications, including machinery, vehicles, and robotics. It allows for smooth and consistent rotation, making it crucial for precision and control in these systems.

4. How does constant torque relate to friction force?

Friction force is the resistance that occurs when two surfaces are in contact and attempting to move relative to each other. In the case of constant torque, friction force plays a role in maintaining the consistency of the applied torque over time.

5. How can the magnitude of friction force be determined?

The magnitude of friction force can be determined using the formula friction force = coefficient of friction x normal force. The coefficient of friction is a property of the materials in contact, and the normal force is the force pressing the two surfaces together.