Constant term in a binomial expansion

In summary, the constant term in $\displaystyle \left(3\cdot x^3+\left(\frac{-4}{x} \right) \right)^{20}$ is $\displaystyle \binom{20}{5}\ 3^{5}\ (-4)^{15}$. To determine this, the binomial theorem was used with the values of $a=3\ x^3$, $b=-\frac{4}{x}$, and $n=20$. Using the identity ${n \choose r}={n \choose n-r}$, the constant term can also be expressed as $-\left(3\cdot4^3 \right)^5{20 \choose 5}$. In
Petrus
Decide constant term in \(\displaystyle \left(3\cdot x^3+\left(\frac{-4}{x} \right) \right)^{20}\).

I have problem with this one, I can't find any example about this one in my book, any advice would be great:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: constant term

Petrus said:
Decide constant term in https://webwork.math.su.se/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/67/172c674f7e20bbdefabddc24741bac1.png.

I have problem with this one, I can't find any exemple about this one in my book, any advice would be great:)

If You apply the bynomial sum...

$\displaystyle (a+b)^{n} = \sum_{k=0}^{n} \binom{n}{k}\ a^{k}\ b^{n-k}$ (1)

... with $a=3\ x^{3}$, $a=- \frac{4}{x}$ and $n=20$ the constant term is for $\displaystyle 3\ k = 20 - k \implies k=5$ so that the connstant term is... $\displaystyle c= \binom{20}{5}\ 3^{5}\ (-4)^{15}$ (2)Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:

... with $a=3\ x^{3}$, $a=- \frac{4}{x}$ and $n=20$ the constant term is for $\displaystyle 3\ k = 20 - k \implies k=5$ so that the connstant term is... $\displaystyle c= \binom{20}{5}\ 3^{5}\ (-4)^{15}$ (2)Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
Thanks!
you got a typo :P $a=- \frac{4}{x}$ it should be 'b' not 'a'. Unfortently this was my homework (I am glad that you helped me ) but next time just give me tips,advice :P I am suposed to solve my homework not you :P

chisigma said:

... with $a=3\ x^{3}$, $a=- \frac{4}{x}$ and $n=20$ the constant term is for $\displaystyle 3\ k = 20 - k \implies k=5$ so that the connstant term is... $\displaystyle c= \binom{20}{5}\ 3^{5}\ (-4)^{15}$ (2)Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$
Hello,
After reading this problem and try solve it I get hard understand why you use as x=1 and how do you get this $\displaystyle 3\ k = 20 - k \implies k=5$?

The general term, as given by the binomial theorem, is:

\(\displaystyle {20 \choose k}\left(3x^3 \right)^{20-k}\left(-\frac{4}{x} \right)^k=3^{20-k}(-4)^k{20 \choose k}x^{3(20-k)}x^{-k}=3^{20-k}(-4)^k{20 \choose k}x^{4(15-k)}\)

What must the exponent on $x$ be in order for the term to be a constant?

MarkFL said:

\(\displaystyle {20 \choose k}\left(3x^3 \right)^{20-k}\left(-\frac{4}{x} \right)^k=3^{20-k}(-4)^k{20 \choose k}x^{3(20-k)}x^{-k}=3^{20-k}(-4)^k{20 \choose k}x^{4(15-k)}\)

$x^{4(15-k)}$ we want it to be power up to 0 so it becomes 1, so $15-k=0 <=> k=15$
I am correct?

Re: constant term in a binomial expansion

Yes, you are absolutely correct! (Yes)

So, letting $k=15$, what is the constant term?

MarkFL said:

Replying to this for some latex mall:)
$C=\frac{20!}{15!(20-15)!}3^5(-4)^{15}$
is this correct way to answer this problem?

That's one way to express the constant term. It is a very large number, so I think I would leave it as:

\(\displaystyle C=-3^5\cdot4^{15}{20 \choose 15}\)

or even

\(\displaystyle C=-\left(3\cdot4^3 \right)^5{20 \choose 5}\)

Do you know the identity \(\displaystyle {n \choose r}={n \choose n-r}\)?

MarkFL said:
That's one way to express the constant term. It is a very large number, so I think I would leave it as:

\(\displaystyle C=-3^5\cdot4^{15}{20 \choose 15}\)

or even

\(\displaystyle C=-\left(3\cdot4^3 \right)^5{20 \choose 5}\)

Do you know the identity \(\displaystyle {n \choose r}={n \choose n-r}\)?
That last one i did not know, why would i like to write it on that form? There is so many diffrent form to write but in exam how would you answer?

You are right that there are many forms to write this constant, and unless you are directed to write it a certain way, I suppose it is up to you how you choose to express the result.

I would choose the last form I gave simply because it's just ever so slightly more compact than the first form I gave.

In the form you gave, you would certainly want to simplify $(20-15)!$ to $5!$.

As a follow-up, can you demonstrate that the combinatorial identity I cited is true?

Petrus has asked that I give him another similar problem for practice that he can try to solve. I decided to post it here for the benefit of others perhaps reading this topic who are wanting help with this kind of problem:

Find the constant term in the expansion of:

\(\displaystyle x^3\left(\frac{x^3}{y^2}-\frac{3y}{x^2} \right)^9\)

MarkFL said:
You are right that there are many forms to write this constant, and unless you are directed to write it a certain way, I suppose it is up to you how you choose to express the result.

I would choose the last form I gave simply because it's just ever so slightly more compact than the first form I gave.

In the form you gave, you would certainly want to simplify $(20-15)!$ to $5!$.

As a follow-up, can you demonstrate that the combinatorial identity I cited is true?
Hello Mark,
I can't see why it's true

A good way is to use the definition:

\(\displaystyle {n \choose r}\equiv\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}\)

which means the identity is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}=\frac{n!}{(n-r)!(n-(n-r))!}\)

Can you see why this is true? Can you relate this identity to Pascal's triangle?

Last edited:
Hello Petrus,

A solution to the problem I posted is hidden below, so that you may check your work:

The binomial theorem tells us the general term in the expansion is:

\(\displaystyle x^3{9 \choose k}\left(\frac{x^3}{y^2} \right)^{9-k}\left(-\frac{3y}{x^2} \right)^k\)

First, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \left(-\frac{3y}{x^2} \right)^k=(-3)^k\left(\frac{y}{x^2} \right)^k\)

and so our general term may be written:

\(\displaystyle x^3(-3)^k{9 \choose k}\left(\frac{x^3}{y^2} \right)^{9-k}\left(\frac{y}{x^2} \right)^k\)

Next using the property of exponents \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{a}{b} \right)^c=\frac{a^c}{b^c}\) we may write the term as:

\(\displaystyle (-3)^k{9 \choose k}x^3\frac{\left(x^3 \right)^{9-k}}{\left(y^2 \right)^{9-k}}\cdot\frac{y^k}{\left(x^2 \right)^k}\)

Now we may use the property of exponents \(\displaystyle \left(a^b \right)^c=a^{bc}\) to write:

\(\displaystyle (-3)^k{9 \choose k}x^3\cdot\frac{x^{3(9-k)}}{y^{2(9-k)}}\cdot\frac{y^k}{x^{2k}}
\)

Using the property of exponents \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{a^b}=a^{-b}\) we may write:

\(\displaystyle (-3)^k{9 \choose k}x^3\cdot x^{3(9-k)}\cdot y^{-2(9-k)}\cdot y^k\cdot x^{-2k}\)

Using the property of exponents \(\displaystyle a^b\cdot a^c=a^{b+c}\) we may write:

\(\displaystyle (-3)^k{9 \choose k}x^{3+3(9-k)-2k}\cdot y^{-2(9-k)+k}\)

Simplifying the exponents, we find:

\(\displaystyle (-3)^k{9 \choose k}x^{3+27-3k-2k}\cdot y^{-18+2k+k}\)

\(\displaystyle (-3)^k{9 \choose k}x^{30-5k}\cdot y^{3k-18}\)

\(\displaystyle (-3)^k{9 \choose k}x^{5(6-k)}\cdot y^{3(k-6)}\)

We find then, that for $k=6$, the term is constant, and given by:

\(\displaystyle (-3)^6{9 \choose 6}=729\cdot84=61236\)

MarkFL said:
Petrus has asked that I give him another similar problem for practice that he can try to solve. I decided to post it here for the benefit of others perhaps reading this topic who are wanting help with this kind of problem:

Find the constant term in the expansion of:

\(\displaystyle x^3\left(\frac{x^3}{y^2}-\frac{3y}{x^2} \right)^9\)
Thanks Mark!
I succed to solve it after a lot thinking and attempt!
This kind of problem should be a lot of cause its not always I can use exponent rules and at end you forget the rules!:/

Related to Constant term in a binomial expansion

What is a constant term in a binomial expansion?

A constant term in a binomial expansion is a term that does not contain any variables. It is a number that remains the same throughout the expansion.

How do you find the constant term in a binomial expansion?

To find the constant term in a binomial expansion, you can use the formula (a + b)^n, where a and b are the terms in the binomial and n is the exponent. The constant term will be the term that does not contain any variables, so it will be the last term in the expansion.

Why is the constant term important in a binomial expansion?

The constant term is important because it represents the value of the binomial when both of its variables are equal to zero. This can be useful in solving certain equations or in finding the y-intercept of a graph.

What is the relationship between the constant term and the other terms in a binomial expansion?

The constant term is the only term in the binomial expansion that does not contain any variables. It is also the smallest term in the expansion, as it has the lowest exponent. The other terms in the expansion will have increasing exponents and may contain variables.

Are there any special cases for the constant term in a binomial expansion?

Yes, there are two special cases for the constant term in a binomial expansion. If the exponent n is even, the constant term will be the middle term in the expansion. If the exponent is odd, there will be no constant term in the expansion.