Constant performance vs friction and drag

In summary, the problem is about determining the velocity and distance traveled by an object with mass m, a magic motor with constant performance P, and friction with coefficient of friction u, after a certain amount of time t. The object experiences a drag and friction force, and is also subject to gravity. Various equations and methods are discussed, such as using an iterative algorithm, solving differential equations, and considering drag coefficients. The ultimate goal is to find an equation that can determine the object's location and speed after a given amount of time, taking into account all of
bXD01Q99
Hi, I wanted to make an equation with Newtonian physics, but failed. Here's the problem:

Code:
                                    Consider an object with that
              ^                     has [B]m[/B] mass, and a built in
    drag &    |                     magic motor that has [B]P[/B]
   friction   |   magic force       constant performance. The
 <----------[OBJ]------------->     motor is magically propelling
==============|=================    the object in a direction,
              | gravity             parallel with the ground,
              v                     which has [B]u[/B] friction.
                                    Gravity is [B]g[/b].
What is the velocity and the traveled distance after [B]t[/B] time?

I've done this so far:

Symptoms: the object starts moving with high acceleration, velocity gain speed gets slower over time, and the velocity converges to (and reaches?) its maximum speed. Then, all the additional performace goes, through friction, into heat energy.

The engine gives [tex]P \times \Delta t[/tex] joules of energy every [tex]\Delta t[/tex] time, and friction takes away [tex]F_f \times \Delta s[/tex]. Energy at a given time can be written as:

[tex]E = P t - F_f s[/tex]
[tex]\frac{m v^2}{2} = P t - \mu m g s[/tex]
[tex]\frac{m v^2}{2} = P t - \mu m g v_{avg} t[/tex] ?

[tex]s[/tex] is dependant on [tex]t[/tex] and [tex]v[/tex], but [tex]v[/tex] depends on the [tex]E[/tex], which depends on [tex]s[/tex], so I don't know how to continue. I need to get [tex]s[/tex] and its derivative, [tex]v[/tex], for any given [tex]t[/tex] time.

So I've tried a temporaty iterational method:
Start with [tex]E = 0[/tex], [tex]v = 0[/tex], then, iterate with very small [tex]\Delta t[/tex] time intervals, and do this:
1. to [tex]E[/tex], add [tex]( P - \mu m g v ) \times \Delta t[/tex]
2. set [tex]v[/tex] to [tex]\sqrt{ 2 E / m }[/tex]

With this algorithm, I've drawn this velocity-time graph:
img182.imageshack.us/my.php?image=47155991qs7.png or [ATTACHMENT]
Iteration count: Blue=5, Green=25, Red=625.
It looks like some sort of logarithmic or root curve.

Well, that's it. If anyone can give me equation instead of an iterating algorithm, and/or also consider slope, drag, and 2D plane vector directions, I'll really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• p.png
    p.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please use LaTeX.

Friction force dissipates a power:
[tex]\displaystyle P_f = \frac{F\cdot \mathrm{d}s}{\mathrm{d}t} = \mu m g v[/tex]

Drag force:
[tex]\displaystyle P_d = c_1v^2 + c_2 v^3[/tex]
For some drag coefficients [tex]c_1[/tex] and [tex]c_2[/tex]

Therefore the limit speed is the real solution of:

[tex]\displaystyle c_2 v^3 + c_1v^2 + \mu m g v - P = 0[/tex]

Assuming that the speed is high enough you can approximate this by:

[tex]\displaystyle v \approx \sqrt[3]{\frac{P}{c_2}}[/tex]

Thanks.

I've gotten acquanted with this LaTeX thingy...

You've looked into the case when the object reaches it's maximum speed: [tex]\displaystyle P_f = \frac{F\cdot \mathrm{d}s}{\mathrm{d}t} = \mu m g v[/tex]. I can get the maximum speed of the object. But I knew that. This formula can be used in a special case of [tex]\frac{m v^2}{2} = P t - \mu m g v_{avg} t[/tex], when v is a constant, so that [tex]v_{avg} = v[/tex]. This is not usable for the curved part of the graph. However, I am interested in the curve.

You've also considered drag, uhm, drag is approximately proportional to [tex]v^2[/tex] or even [tex]v^3[/tex], depending on [tex]v[/tex]?
[tex]\displaystyle v \approx \sqrt[3]{\frac{P}{c_2}}[/tex]
This is a simplification, which I'm not really in to, because there are no guarantees (I'd rather chose the 3rd degree solution formula). Generalization is needed.

OK, to ease things, let's not consider drag and slopes yet, just friction. There is a flat ground, and the object can move in any direction parallel to the ground (forward, left, back-right, ...). It can change its direction of the magic force any time it wants, say, every 10-20 milliseconds. I need an equation that can determine the new location and the speed of the object after it has traveled in that given direction for a given time.

Then you'll have to solve the differential equation:

[tex]\displaystyle F_{motor} - \mu m g = m \ddot{x}\qquad \text{(Newton's II Law)}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle \ddot{x} + \mu g - a_0 = 0[/tex]

Where [tex]a_0[/tex] is [tex]F/m[/tex].

In this case, it is clear that the acceleration [tex]\ddot{x}[/tex] of the body will be zero if and only if [tex]\mu g = a_0[/tex].The drag force of a fluid comes in its most general form as:

[tex]\displaystyle \vec{F_{drag}} = -(c_1 v + c_2 v^2)\hat{v} [/tex]

Related to Constant performance vs friction and drag

1. What is the difference between constant performance and friction?

Constant performance refers to the ability of a system or object to maintain a consistent level of output or function over time, regardless of external factors. Friction, on the other hand, is a force that opposes motion and can decrease the performance of a system by creating resistance.

2. How does friction affect the performance of a machine?

Friction can decrease the performance of a machine by creating resistance to motion, which can lead to a decrease in efficiency and an increase in energy consumption. It can also cause wear and tear on the machine's components, leading to potential malfunctions and breakdowns.

3. How do drag and friction differ?

Drag is a type of friction that specifically refers to the force that resists an object's motion through a fluid, such as air or water. Friction, on the other hand, can occur between any two surfaces in contact, regardless of whether a fluid is involved.

4. Can constant performance be achieved in the presence of friction and drag?

While friction and drag can decrease the overall performance of a system, it is still possible to achieve constant performance by designing the system to account for these forces. This can be done through the use of lubricants, minimizing contact points, and optimizing the design of the system.

5. How do scientists measure the effects of friction and drag on performance?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the effects of friction and drag on performance, depending on the specific system being studied. This can include calculations, laboratory experiments, and computer simulations. By measuring the forces and changes in performance, scientists can better understand and optimize systems for maximum efficiency.