Constant horizontal pull on a sled

In summary, the sled acquires a speed v and a kinetic energy K when the pull acts over a distance x. If the same pull instead acts over twice this distance, the sled's speed will be sqrt(2)v and its kinetic energy will be 2K.
wondermoose

Homework Statement

A constant horizontal pull acts on a sled on a horizontal frictionless ice pond. The sled starts from rest. When the pull acts over a distance x, the sled acquires a speed v and a kinetic energy K. If the same pull instead acts over twice this distance, <the sled's speed will be sqrt(2)v and its kinetic energy will be 2K>?

Homework Equations

K=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The last part between the < > was actually the correct answer as part of a multiple choice question, but I've tried figuring out the relationship and haven't come up with anything. I already missed the question (I thought speed would be 2v and kinetic energy would be 2K), but I would still like to know how those figures and values are found for the future. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi wondermoose! :smile:

the force is constant, so the acceleration is constant …

so use one of the standard constant acceleration equations to find how v depends on s :wink:

Hmm... I don't follow. Do I still use the kinetic energy equation in some regard? Or am I trying to complicate the problem?

wondermoose said:

Homework Statement

A constant horizontal pull acts on a sled on a horizontal frictionless ice pond. The sled starts from rest. When the pull acts over a distance x, the sled acquires a speed v and a kinetic energy K. If the same pull instead acts over twice this distance, <the sled's speed will be sqrt(2)v and its kinetic energy will be 2K>?

Think of the Work-Energy Theorem.

ehild

(just got up :zzz: …)
wondermoose said:
Hmm... I don't follow. Do I still use the kinetic energy equation in some regard?

You can either use the usual equations to find v, or, since you're given the distance in this question, you can (as ehild :smile: says) use the work done to find the KE directly …

either will do! :biggrin:

Alright, so W=Fd
F=ma
W=m*a*d

and a=v/t

so W = m*v*d/t

deltaK=W

1/2mv^2=m*v*d/t

Is that along the right line? I'm so freakin' confused.

(have a delta: ∆ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

why are you introducing a?

∆KE = W = Fd,

so ∆KE is proportional to F, and proportional to d …

carry on from there :smile:

tiny-tim said:

(have a delta: ∆ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

why are you introducing a?

∆KE = W = Fd,

so ∆KE is proportional to F, and proportional to d …

carry on from there :smile:

But where does velocity fit into those relationships? I know the .5mv2 is going to come into play somewhere along the way, but I don't know where or how. Thanks, tim!

speed is √(KE/2m)

tiny-tim said:
speed is √(KE/2m)

Alright, so if K=Fd, and F is constant and d doubles, therefore K doubles. Then, relating back to
√(KE/2m), then if K is 2K then the speed (v) would still be √(2/2m).

v=√(2/2m)

Closer? Thanks

Related to Constant horizontal pull on a sled

1. What is a constant horizontal pull on a sled?

A constant horizontal pull on a sled refers to a force that is applied in a consistent direction and magnitude to move a sled horizontally. This force can be exerted by a person, animal, or machine.

2. How does a constant horizontal pull affect the movement of a sled?

A constant horizontal pull on a sled will cause the sled to accelerate in the direction of the force. The greater the force, the faster the sled will move. Once the force is removed, the sled will continue to move at a constant velocity until another force is applied.

3. What factors can affect the amount of force needed for a constant horizontal pull on a sled?

The mass of the sled, the friction between the sled and the surface it is being pulled on, and the angle of the pull are all factors that can affect the amount of force needed for a constant horizontal pull on a sled.

4. How can a constant horizontal pull be measured on a sled?

A constant horizontal pull can be measured using a force sensor or a spring scale. These devices can measure the amount of force being applied to the sled and provide a numerical value in units of newtons (N).

5. What are some real-life applications of a constant horizontal pull on a sled?

A constant horizontal pull on a sled is commonly used in winter sports such as sledding, skiing, and snowboarding. It is also used in transportation, such as pulling a cart or wagon, and in industrial settings for moving heavy objects.