Constant acceleration question

In summary, a mouse travels in a straight line from a hole in the baseboard towards a cupboard 12 meters away, starting at rest and accelerating at 0.1m/s2 until it reaches a top speed of 1 m/s. When the mouse is 3 meters from the cupboard, a cat enters the kitchen at 0.5 m/s and immediately starts chasing the mouse. To catch the mouse at the same time it reaches the cupboard, the cat must maintain a minimum constant acceleration, which can be found by using the time it takes for the mouse to reach the cupboard from 3 meters away. The cat's speed when it catches the mouse can also be calculated using this time.
doc2142

Homework Statement

A mouse leaves a hole in the baseboard and runs along the wall in a straight line towards a
cupboard where cookies are stored, 12 meters from the hole. The mouse starts at rest and
maintains a constant acceleration of 0.1m/s2 before reaching top speed of 1 m/s, which it
maintains for the rest of the journey. When the mouse is 3 meters from the cookie
cupboard, a cat turns the corner and enters the kitchen, moving at 0.5 m/s. It immediately
begins to chases the mouse. The point where the cat enters is 14 meters from the cookie
cupboard.

Homework Equations

a) Where is the mouse located when it reaches top speed?
b) If the cat catches the mouse just as it reaches the cookie cupboard, what minimum
constant acceleration must the cat maintain?
c) How fast is the cat moving when it catches the mouse?
d) How much time has passed since the mouse left the hole?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found A by using Vf^2=V0^2+2a(Change in X)

I am stuck on B
I know first I need to know how long it takes for the mouse to reach the cupboard but i am confused on which formula to use. I know its 2 different equation one for before it reachs top speed when the acceleration is non constant, and one for when it is constent.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you know at what distance from the cupboard the mouse reaches its maximum speed, so using this info you should be able to find out how long it takes it to reach the cupboard from 3 metres away. Then, using this time, you can find out what acceleration the cat must keep to reach the mouse just as it reaches the cupboard.

Using your solution to a), s=5m, which means that the mouse is traveling at its maximum speed when it is 3m from the cupboard (hint hint).

Related to Constant acceleration question

1. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes by the same amount in each unit of time. It means that the object is moving in a straight line and its speed is changing at a constant rate.

2. How is constant acceleration calculated?

Constant acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for constant acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is the difference between constant acceleration and uniform acceleration?

Constant acceleration is a type of uniform acceleration where the velocity of an object changes by the same amount in each unit of time. Uniform acceleration, on the other hand, refers to a situation where the acceleration remains the same throughout the motion.

4. What are some real-life examples of constant acceleration?

A car accelerating on a straight road, a ball falling under the influence of gravity, and a rocket taking off are all examples of constant acceleration. In each case, the object is moving in a straight line and its velocity is changing at a constant rate.

5. Can an object have both constant acceleration and variable speed?

Yes, an object can have both constant acceleration and variable speed. This is because acceleration refers to the rate of change of velocity, while speed refers to the magnitude of the velocity. So, an object can be accelerating at a constant rate while its speed is increasing or decreasing at the same time.