Constant acceleration of an antelope

In summary, an antelope moving with constant acceleration covers a distance of 80.0m in 6.70s. Its speed at the second point is 14.6 m/s. The speed at the first point can be calculated using the formula v=Δx/t or S=D/t, which would be either 0 or 11.9 m/s. The acceleration of the antelope is 2.2 m/s^2. Constant acceleration does not necessarily mean the initial velocity is 0. The formulas for displacement and velocity with constant acceleration are x=v0*t+1/2*a*t^2 and v=v0+a*t respectively.
tAzneem

An antelope moving with constant acceleration covers the distance 80.0m between
two points in time 6.70s. Its speed as it passes the second point is 14.6 m/s.
1) What is its speed at the first point?
2) What is the acceleration?

First I understand that when we have (constant acceleration) that means --> Vo=0m/s

*_______________* If that was the two points , so t1=0 , t2=6.70 and the all distance is 80
Vx=14.6
For 1 ) I though the answer will be zero OR can we do 80/6.70=11.9 , I really have an issue to know if the speed they are talking about is v=Δx/t or they are talking about S=D/t
2) α= Δv/Δt --> 14.6/6.70 = 2.2m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
tAzneem said:

An antelope moving with constant acceleration covers the distance 80.0m between
two points in time 6.70s. Its speed as it passes the second point is 14.6 m/s.
1) What is its speed at the first point?
2) What is the acceleration?

First I understand that when we have (constant acceleration) that means --> Vo=0m/s

*_______________* If that was the two points , so t1=0 , t2=6.70 and the all distance is 80
Vx=14.6
For 1 ) I though the answer will be zero OR can we do 80/6.70=11.9 , I really have an issue to know if the speed they are talking about is v=Δx/t or they are talking about S=D/t
2) α= Δv/Δt --> 14.6/6.70 = 2.2m/s^2

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Constant acceleration doesn't mean v0=0m/s. It just means the acceleration 'a' is constant. What are formulas for displacement and velocity assuming initial velocity v0 and constant acceleration a? Something like x=v0*t is only true if there is no acceleration.

Last edited:
Sorry , but I didn't get it , ok constant a , doesn't mean Vo=0
Can you explain the Q. more for me

tAzneem said:

You can fire a toy rocket forward with constant acceleration, either starting from rest or starting from a moving car. The acceleration is the same, but the two situations give different velocities; they differ by the velocity the car had at the launch point. It's not rocket science!

tAzneem said:

If there is no acceleration you can write the displacement as x(t)=x0+v0*t, where x0 is the initial position and v0 is the initial velocity. There is a similar expression for the case of constant acceleration. You must have seen it before. Try to find it.

Ok thank you both

Related to Constant acceleration of an antelope

1. What is constant acceleration of an antelope?

Constant acceleration of an antelope refers to the steady increase in the velocity of an antelope as it moves in a straight line without changing direction.

2. What factors affect the constant acceleration of an antelope?

The constant acceleration of an antelope can be affected by various factors such as the terrain it is running on, the force of gravity, and the air resistance it experiences.

3. How is the constant acceleration of an antelope calculated?

The constant acceleration of an antelope can be calculated by dividing the change in its velocity by the time it took to change. This is represented by the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. Why is constant acceleration important for an antelope?

Constant acceleration is important for an antelope as it allows them to quickly reach their maximum speed while chasing prey or escaping predators. It also helps them maintain a steady pace while running for long distances.

5. Can the constant acceleration of an antelope change?

Yes, the constant acceleration of an antelope can change if there is a change in the external factors affecting its movement. For example, if an antelope starts running uphill, its constant acceleration will decrease due to the added resistance of gravity.