Constancy of the speed of light.

In summary: The speed of light is constant locally. If you attempt a measurement remotely over large distances in spacetime you will not get the usual value. If for example you measure the speed of light as it passes a large mass you will get a slower answer for the total trip, This is called Shapiro time delay.
Endervhar
I have just come across the following quote by Nigel Calder:- "Light travels faster...toward the centre of gravity than away from it."

How does one square this with the constancy of the speed of light?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I'm aware, gravity only alters the direction of light, not it's speed.

Endervhar said:
I have just come across the following quote by Nigel Calder:- "Light travels faster...toward the centre of gravity than away from it."

How does one square this with the constancy of the speed of light?

Speed of light is not constant. It changes, sometimes dramaticly, according to the medium it travels.
Actually not the speed but spectrum of light changes near big objects.

omerusta said:
Speed of light is not constant. It changes, sometimes dramaticly, according to the medium it travels.

No, the speed of light is constant. It is it's interaction with the medium that makes it appear to travel slower.

JaredJames said:
No, the speed of light is constant. It is it's interaction with the medium that makes it appear to travel slower.

Interesting!
It fools us then.

I don't think so...

omerusta said:

JaredJames said:

omerusta said:
Interesting!
It fools us then.

I don't think so...
It depends upon how you look at it. Light, traveling a given distance through water will take a longer time than the same distance through vacuum- it travels slower.

But if you look "closely" you will see light traveling at the same speed as in vacuum between molecules of water, until it it is absorbed by an atom of hydrogen or oxygen. Then, after a brief delay, it is re-emited. It is the "brief delay" that causes the macro "slowness".

Thanks, that was more or less my understanding, but it still leaves me wondering what Calder meant. I shall have to identify the source and find out if he was mis-quoted.

HallsofIvy said:
But if you look "closely" you will see light traveling at the same speed as in vacuum between molecules of water, until it it is absorbed by an atom of hydrogen or oxygen. Then, after a brief delay, it is re-emited. It is the "brief delay" that causes the macro "slowness".

Can you provide a reference for this? (other than a purely theoretical construct)

The emission spectrums of oxygen and hydrogen are well defined. They result in well defined absorption lines in the light from more distant sources. And well defined emission lines when excited sufficiently to emit photons.

If the variation of the velocity of light through transparent mediums were the result of absorption and re-emission, as photons traveled through intervening mediums, information unique to a distant source would be lost.

What we "see" is that some of the photons from a more distant source do interact with atoms in an intervening medium resulting in absorption lines and a portion reach us without direct interaction. If this were not the case even the lenses in our optical telescopes would change the nature of the light from distant galaxies.

HallsofIvy said:
It depends upon how you look at it. Light, traveling a given distance through water will take a longer time than the same distance through vacuum- it travels slower.

This was my belief too, until I read the general physics FAQ: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=104715. See post #4.

The speed of light is constant locally. If you attempt a measurement remotely over large distances in spacetime you will not get the usual value. If for example you measure the speed of light as it passes a large mass you will get a slower answer for the total trip, This is called Shapiro time delay.

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/deflection-delay.html

Let's not confuse terms and stuff here.

The speed of light IN A VACUUM is a constant. The speed at which light will propagate through a medium changes depending on the medium, but is constant in each separate medium as long as it is uniform. Sudden changes in density and other physical effects can alter the direction and speed of light in that medium.

Note that things can and do travel faster than light in a medium. That is the reason for Cherenkov radiation. The speed c is the "speed limit" that nothing can reach other than light, and that is only in a vacuum when it is not interacting with matter.

Gravity does not change the speed of light, but it can change its direction and wavelength depending on the observer.

Related to Constancy of the speed of light.

What is the constancy of the speed of light?

The constancy of the speed of light refers to the fact that the speed of light in a vacuum is an absolute constant, meaning it does not change regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

Why is the speed of light considered a fundamental constant?

The speed of light is considered a fundamental constant because it is a universal constant that plays a crucial role in many fundamental laws and theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity and Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism.

What evidence supports the constancy of the speed of light?

There is a plethora of evidence that supports the constancy of the speed of light, including observations of the behavior of light in different mediums, experimental data, and the successful predictions and explanations provided by theories such as relativity and electromagnetism.

Has the constancy of the speed of light ever been disproven?

No, the constancy of the speed of light has never been disproven. All experiments and observations to date have consistently shown that the speed of light in a vacuum is a constant value.

How does the constancy of the speed of light relate to time and space?

The constancy of the speed of light is closely linked to the concepts of time and space. It is a fundamental part of Einstein's theory of relativity, which explains how time and space are relative and can be affected by an observer's frame of reference. The constancy of the speed of light is a crucial factor in this theory and is used to define the speed limit of the universe.