Consisity of non-homogenous systems of linear equations

In summary, the best way to determine if a non-homogenous system of linear equations has a solution is to reduce the augmented matrix to row echelon form. If there are no all-zero rows, then there is a unique solution. If there are any all-zero rows, the existence of a solution depends on the values of the corresponding entries in the solution column.
Este
Consistency of non-homogenous systems of linear equations

Hello,

Is it possible to find out if a non-homogenous system of linear equations has:
- Single Solution.
or
- Infinite Solutions.
or
- No Solutions.
Without applying any methods/rules ( Such as Gauss, determinant..etc), just judging by the values and number of given equations and unknowns?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "judging by the values" etc. All of the methods you want to "not apply" do just that. If you mean "just by looking at the values (of the coefficients?) and number of given equations and unknowns" without doing any computation at all, then, except for the obvious: if there are fewer equations than unknowns, there cannot be a unique solution (but can be no solution or an infinite number of solutions) but if you had the same number of equations and unknowns or more equations than unknowns, no solution, a unique solution, or an infinite number of solutions are all possible depending on the determinant of coefficients.

Well, you I meant the values of the coefficients. To be more clear, the question was I encountered was:
Without solving, determine which of the following linear systems have a solution or not"
...list of systems goes here..

I guess I'm allowed to calculate the determinant after all as it doesn't solve the system by itself..

Well, I read this on an online preview of some book:
Nonhomogeneous system:
(a) If det(A) [tex]\neq[/tex] 0, a unique solution exists.
(b) If det(A) = 0, either no solutions exists or infinitely many solution exist.

So even the determinant of the matrix doesn't classify the system into either: Has solution or Has no solution. Is their is such a rule/method that can do that without solving the system?

Thanks for your response and I apologize for the ambiguity.

Yes you can determine whether or not a system of equations has a solution or not by looking at the determinant which is NOT "solving the equation".

But be careful if Ax= b, and A is a coefficient matrix having zero determinant, you know the system cannot have a unique solution. But whether the system has no solution or an infinite number of solutions depends on b as well as A. I think the simplest way to answer such a question would be to row-reduce the augmented matrix (coefficient matrix A with b as an added column) to upper triangular form (all 0's under the main diagonal). If you have no "all zero" rows, you know Ax= b has a unique solution no matter what b is. If A reduces to some "all zero" rows, there will be an infinite number of solutions if all the "b" entries in those rows also become 0, no solution if any of those "b" entries are not 0.

That is not completely "solving" the system since you don't clear the upper triangle.

Thanks a lot HallsofIvy! You've been very helpful. See you in another question :))

You mentioned the word 'determinant", if the system is NOT square, you cannot talk about determinant hence you can't use the determinant rule to determine if a solution exits. The best (perhaps only) scheme is to reduce the system [A|b] to RREF.

Related to Consisity of non-homogenous systems of linear equations

1. What is the definition of consistency in a system of linear equations?

The consistency of a system of linear equations refers to whether or not the system has a solution that satisfies all of the equations.

2. How do you determine the consistency of a non-homogeneous system of linear equations?

A non-homogeneous system of linear equations is consistent if and only if the rank of the coefficient matrix is equal to the rank of the augmented matrix. This means that there must be a unique solution or infinitely many solutions for the system to be considered consistent.

3. What happens if a non-homogeneous system of linear equations is inconsistent?

If a non-homogeneous system of linear equations is inconsistent, it means that there is no solution that satisfies all of the equations. This can happen if the equations are contradictory or if there are not enough equations to uniquely determine a solution.

4. Can a non-homogeneous system of linear equations be both consistent and inconsistent?

No, a non-homogeneous system of linear equations can only be either consistent or inconsistent. It cannot be both at the same time.

5. How does the solution set of a non-homogeneous system of linear equations change if the system is consistent versus inconsistent?

If a non-homogeneous system of linear equations is consistent, it will have either a unique solution or infinitely many solutions. If the system is inconsistent, there will be no solution and the solution set will be empty.