Consideration of number of significant figures in experimental quantities

f3sicA_A
Homework Statement
I measure time accurate to the sixth decimal place using a Photogate (seventh digit is the uncertain digit). How many decimal places should I round of this time value (and why?) given that I also measure length with an uncertainty of ##\pm0.1## (cm), and I want to use the two experimental quantities to calculate velocity of an object? To calculate uncertainty in the final velocity that I calculate, I use summation in quadrature.
Relevant Equations
$$d=s\times t$$
$$\frac{\delta a}{a}=\sqrt{\left(\frac{\delta b}{b}\right)^2+\left(\frac{\delta c}{c}\right)^2}$$
I am not sure how to approach this problem. I know that there really is no use taking time values accurate up to the sixth decimal place if my length values are accurate only to the first decimal place, after all errors should be comparable. So I wanted to know how I should quote my time values up to the appropriate decimal places, and is there a general rule one can follow in such situations?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with using $$\frac{\delta d}{d}=\sqrt{\left(\frac{\delta s}{s}\right)^2+\left(\frac{\delta t}{t}\right)^2}~?$$ If ##~\dfrac{\delta s}{s}>>\dfrac{\delta t}{t}##, $$\frac{\delta d}{d}\approx \left(\frac{\delta s}{s}\right)\implies \delta d=(st)\frac{\delta s}{s}=t\delta s.$$

Likes f3sicA_A
kuruman said:
What's wrong with using $$\frac{\delta d}{d}=\sqrt{\left(\frac{\delta s}{s}\right)^2+\left(\frac{\delta t}{t}\right)^2}~?$$ If ##~\dfrac{\delta s}{s}>>\dfrac{\delta t}{t}##, $$\frac{\delta d}{d}\approx \left(\frac{\delta s}{s}\right)\implies \delta d=(st)\frac{\delta s}{s}=t\delta s.$$
I don't see anything wrong with it, but my professor mentions that I need to round of the uncertainty in time to keep consistent with significant figures and decimal places. For instance, let us say I have a length measure of 22.1 cm and a time measure of 0.569824 s (just arbitrary values), then speed calculation as follows:

$$s=\frac{22.1}{0.569824}$$

This seems to me like an absurd way of dealing with significant figures/decimal places?

As an exercise, calculate the total error if the time is rounded to .570, .5698, .56982 and .569824
Note: since you are rounding, the error for each of these numbers is different.

f3sicA_A said:
This seems to me like an absurd way of dealing with significant figures/decimal places?
It may look a little strange but IMO it's OK. If ##t=0.569824 s##, then I’d say that’s what you should record and use. Presumably the associated uncertainty is 0.000001s.

The symbol ‘s’ is sometimes used for displacement so let’s avoid any confusion and use ##x## for distance and ##v## for speed.

In this case ##v = \frac {22.1cm}{0.569824 s} = 38.7839cm/s##, which now needs rounding.

As already noted, the fractional uncertainty in ##t## is negligible compared to the fractional uncertainty in ##x##. So here we can use:

##\delta v = v \frac {\delta x}{x}= 38.7839 cm/s \times \frac {0.1cm}{22.1cm}##

## = 0.2cm/s## to 1 sig. fig. (or ##0.18cm/s## to 2 sig. figs.)

The value of ##v## should then be rounded to the same number of decimal places as ##\delta v## so we end up with ##v=(38.8 \pm 0.2) cm/s##.

Or if we prefer to use 2 sig. figs. for ##\delta v## we get ##v = (38.78 \pm 0.18) cm/s##.

Note: if we want to use ##v## in subsequent calculations, we should use its unrounded value to avoid introducing unnecessary rounding errors.

f3sicA_A said:
I don't see anything wrong with it, but my professor mentions that I need to round of the uncertainty in time to keep consistent with significant figures and decimal places. For instance, let us say I have a length measure of 22.1 cm and a time measure of 0.569824 s (just arbitrary values), then speed calculation as follows:

First you do the exact calculation $$s=\frac{22.1~\text{cm}}{0.569824~\text{s}}=38.783905205817937~\text{cm/s}.$$I deliberately kept a ridiculous number of significant figures to make a point.
Now for the calculation of the uncertainties. Use exponential notation, one decimal place is sufficient.
##\dfrac{\delta d}{d}=\dfrac{0.1}{22.1}=4.5\times 10^{-3} \implies \left(\dfrac{\delta d}{d} \right)^2=2.0\times 10^{-5}##
##\dfrac{\delta t}{t}=\dfrac{0.1}{22.1}=8.8\times 10^{-6}\implies \left(\dfrac{\delta t}{t} \right)^2=7.7\times 10^{-11}##
##\left(\dfrac{\delta d}{d} \right)^2+\left(\dfrac{\delta t}{t} \right)^2=2.0\times 10^{-5}.## The fractional uncertainty in time doesn't contribute anything and can be ignored.
Then $$\delta s=s*\sqrt{\left(\dfrac{\delta d}{d} \right)^2}=38.783905205817937~(\text{cm/s})\times 4.5\times 10^{-3}=2.8\times 10^{-2}~\text{cm/s}.$$ How to report the value of ##s##? Note that the uncertainties in exponential form were carried to two decimal places to avoid too much roundoff. At this point you round the uncertainty to one sig-fig: ##\delta s = 0.03~\text{cm/s}.## That's two decimal places. Your reported value for ##s## is truncated accordingly to two decimal places, $$s=38.78\pm 0.03 ~\text{cm/s}.$$

f3sicA_A said:
my professor mentions that I need to round of the uncertainty in time to keep consistent with significant figures and decimal places. For instance, let us say I have a length measure of 22.1 cm and a time measure of 0.569824 s (just arbitrary values), then speed calculation as follows:

I do not understand. The equation you quote does not seem to be an example of rounding the time to be consistent with the distance accuracy. That would look like $$s=\frac{22.1}{0.570}$$

1. What are significant figures and why are they important in scientific measurements?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that are reliable and meaningful. They represent the precision of a measurement and indicate the level of uncertainty in the measurement. Significant figures are important in scientific measurements because they help to ensure accuracy and consistency in experimental data.

2. How do you determine the number of significant figures in a measurement?

The general rule for determining the number of significant figures in a measurement is to count all non-zero digits and any zeros between non-zero digits. For example, the number 3.05 has three significant figures, while the number 0.0023 has two significant figures. Zeros at the end of a number may or may not be significant, depending on the context of the measurement.

3. Why is it necessary to consider the number of significant figures when performing calculations with experimental quantities?

When performing calculations with experimental quantities, it is important to maintain the same level of precision as the original measurements. This means that the result of a calculation should not have more significant figures than the measurement with the least number of significant figures. Considering the number of significant figures helps to avoid errors and maintain the accuracy of the final result.

4. Can you round off a number to a certain number of significant figures?

Yes, you can round off a number to a certain number of significant figures by following certain rules. If the digit to be removed is less than 5, the preceding digit remains unchanged. If the digit to be removed is greater than 5, the preceding digit is increased by 1. If the digit to be removed is 5, the preceding digit is increased by 1 if it is odd, and remains unchanged if it is even.

5. How do significant figures affect the reporting of experimental results?

When reporting experimental results, it is important to include the correct number of significant figures to reflect the precision of the measurements. The final result should be rounded to the same number of significant figures as the least precise measurement involved in the calculation. This helps to accurately represent the level of uncertainty in the experimental data.