Consider a spherical wave Show that E obeys maxwell's equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple spherical wave and the associated magnetic field B. The speaker is stuck on proving that the wave obeys the remaining three of Maxwell's equations, specifically Faraday's law and the Ampere-Maxwell law. They mention trying to prove that the wave follows the Ampere-Maxwell law by showing that curl B is equal to zero, but they are unsure if this is the correct approach.
blueyellow

Homework Statement

Consider a simple spherical wave, with omega/k=c

E(r, theta, phi, t)=((A sin theta)/r)(cos(kr - omega t) -(1/kr)sin(kr - omega t)) phi-hat

i) Using Faraday's law, find the associated magnetic field B
ii) Show that E obeys the remaining three of Maxwell's equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's part b I am stuck on. I tried to prove it obeys div E=ro/epsilon0

I tried to do div E in spherical coordinates but I don't know how to when I don't know how to differentiate it with respect to phi because the equation given for E doesn't contain phi. i also don't know how ro is related to any of the terms in the equation for E. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If it doesn't contain phi, then obviously the derivative of E wrt it is 0...

I am now stuck on proving that the wave obey's the Ampere-Maxwell law. I tried to prove that curl B=0. It doesn't. Did I make a mistake in calculating, or is this the wrong approach to take to the question?

I would first like to clarify that the given equation for E is not complete, as it is missing the radial component. It should be written as E(r, theta, phi, t) = ((A sin theta)/r)(cos(kr - omega t) -(1/kr)sin(kr - omega t)) r-hat + ((A cos theta)/r)(cos(kr - omega t) -(1/kr)sin(kr - omega t)) theta-hat.

Now, to answer the question, let's start by finding the associated magnetic field B using Faraday's law:

From Faraday's law, we know that ∇ x E = -∂B/∂t. Using the given equation for E, we can calculate the curl of E in spherical coordinates:

∇ x E = (1/r^2)(∂(rE_phi)/∂r - ∂E_theta/∂phi) r-hat + (1/r sin theta)(∂E_r/∂phi - ∂(rE_phi)/∂r) theta-hat + (1/r)(∂(rE_theta)/∂r - ∂E_r/∂theta) phi-hat

Since the given equation for E does not contain a phi component, the second term in the above expression becomes zero. Also, since E does not depend on time, the right-hand side of Faraday's law becomes zero. Therefore, we can write:

(1/r^2)(∂(rE_phi)/∂r - ∂E_theta/∂phi) r-hat + (1/r)(∂(rE_theta)/∂r - ∂E_r/∂theta) phi-hat = 0

Solving for B, we get:

B = (1/c)(∂E/∂t) = (1/c)(∂/∂t)((A sin theta)/r)(cos(kr - omega t) -(1/kr)sin(kr - omega t)) phi-hat

= (A/c)(cos(kr - omega t) -(1/kr)sin(kr - omega t)) phi-hat

Now, let's move on to showing that E obeys the remaining three of Maxwell's equations:

1. ∇ · E = ρ/ε0

Using the given

Related to Consider a spherical wave Show that E obeys maxwell's equations

What is a spherical wave?

A spherical wave is a type of electromagnetic wave that radiates outwards from a point source in all directions, similar to ripples on a pond.

What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four mathematical equations that describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves, including light. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century.

How do you show that E obeys Maxwell's equations?

To show that E (the electric field) obeys Maxwell's equations, we must demonstrate that it satisfies all four equations: Gauss's Law, Gauss's Law for Magnetism, Faraday's Law, and Ampere's Law. This can be done through mathematical derivation and experimentation.

Why is it important to consider a spherical wave?

Considering a spherical wave allows us to study the behavior of electromagnetic waves in three dimensions, rather than just in a single plane. This is important for understanding how these waves interact with objects and travel through space.

What are the practical applications of Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations have many practical applications, including in the development of wireless communication technologies, understanding the behavior of light, and designing electronic devices. They also serve as the foundation for other important theories, such as quantum mechanics and relativity.