Conserved Noether charge and gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation of the Lagrangian of a non-relativistic particle in a gravitational field under a total derivative, as well as the conservation of the corresponding Noether charge. The question is why the Noether charge is not conserved when using the equations of motion, even though the EOM for phi is the Poisson equation. The answer is that the variation of the Lagrangian contains a term that is not desired, and the solution to obtain the Noether charges is not mentioned.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
If one considers the Lagrangian of a non-relativistic particle in a gravitational field,

[tex]
L = \frac{m}{2}(\delta_{ij}\dot{x}^i \dot{x}^j + 2 \phi(x^k) )
[/tex]

it transforms under

[tex]
\delta x^i = \xi^i (t), \ \ \ \ \delta \phi = \ddot{\xi}^i x_i
[/tex]

as a total derivative:

[tex]
\delta L = \frac{d}{dt}(m \dot{\xi}^i x_i)
[/tex]

My question is: why is the corresponding Noether charge

[tex]
Q = p_i \xi^i - m \dot{\xi}^i x_i
[/tex]

not conserved if one uses the equations of motion? I'm staring at the problem now for quite some time, missing something obvious, but I can't see it :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's confusing, because the EOM for phi is the Poisson equation, which is not dynamical; it could be obtained by adding

[tex]
\lambda[\partial_i \partial^i \phi - 4 \pi G \rho]
[/tex]

to the Lagrangian, where lambda is a Lagrange multiplier. But this doesn't change the situation.

So I more or less have the answer to my question; the variation [itex]\delta L[/itex] also contains a

[tex]
\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi}\delta \phi = m \ddot{\xi}^i x_i
[/tex]

term, which I don't want. So how to get the corresponding Noether charges?

I think I have the answer, so nevermind.

Related to Conserved Noether charge and gravity

What is a conserved Noether charge in relation to gravity?

A conserved Noether charge is a mathematical quantity that is associated with a symmetry in a physical system. In the context of gravity, it represents a quantity that remains constant as a result of the symmetry of the system, such as time or space translation symmetry.

How is a conserved Noether charge related to the laws of gravity?

A conserved Noether charge is related to the laws of gravity through the principle of conservation of energy. Since a conserved Noether charge remains constant, it can be interpreted as a form of energy that is conserved due to the symmetries of the system.

Can a conserved Noether charge be changed or manipulated?

No, a conserved Noether charge cannot be changed or manipulated. It is a fundamental property of a physical system that is dictated by the symmetries of the system. Any change in the conserved Noether charge would violate the underlying symmetries and laws of the system.

What is the significance of a conserved Noether charge in the study of gravity?

A conserved Noether charge is significant in the study of gravity because it provides a connection between the symmetries of the system and the laws of gravity. It also allows for the prediction and understanding of the behavior of physical systems under different symmetries.

Can a conserved Noether charge be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, the concept of a conserved Noether charge can be applied to all physical systems, including those beyond gravity. It is a fundamental concept in physics that is used to understand the behavior of physical systems and the underlying symmetries that govern them.