Conservation of Momentum with angles T_T

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where the initial velocity of a ball is needed after a collision with another stationary ball. The solution involves using conservation of momentum and splitting the velocities into vertical and horizontal components.
sup90

Homework Statement

You are playing bocci with your friends. You roll your ball towards your opponent's stationary ball (of equal mass) with a certain speed. After the collision, your ball travels along a path o32 degrees from its original path with a speed of 2.50m/s, while your opponent's ball travels along a path 25 degrees from the original path of your ball. What is the initial velocity of your ball?

Homework Equations

Conservation of Momentum.
P1 + P2 = P1' + P2'

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so i tried doing this solution, first i made a diagram of this scenario, but i am not too sure if i drew this correctly. T_T please help me. Here is my attempt of the solution.

So we are trying to find v1

v1 = ?
Pi - initial momentum
Pf - final momentum

Pi = Pf
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'
m1v1 + 0 = m1v1' + m2v2'

... this is far as i have gone, i was not too sure what to place as my v2' ...
and the masses? hm... :(. Please Help! T_T

Attachments

• Physics Question 2.jpg
    Physics Question 2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 389
Physics news on Phys.org
(can't see your attachment as yet).

If they had collided elastically I could have suggested an easier way to find it (I think)

But what you could do is split the velocities at the angles into vertical and horizontal components and then use conservation of momentum in both the vertical and horizontal directions.

I have finished solving this question, thank you for your help!

Related to Conservation of Momentum with angles T_T

1. What is conservation of momentum with angles?

Conservation of momentum with angles is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant in all directions, even when objects within the system collide at different angles.

2. How is momentum conserved with angles?

Momentum is conserved with angles by using vector addition and subtraction to calculate the total momentum of a system before and after a collision. The magnitude and direction of the total momentum must remain the same before and after the collision.

3. What is the equation for conservation of momentum with angles?

The equation for conservation of momentum with angles is: Σpinitial = Σpfinal, where Σp represents the total momentum in a given direction before and after a collision.

4. How does conservation of momentum with angles apply in real-life situations?

Conservation of momentum with angles applies in various real-life situations, such as car crashes, billiard ball collisions, and sports like football and hockey. It helps us understand and predict the outcome of collisions and the resulting direction and speed of objects.

5. What are some limitations of conservation of momentum with angles?

Conservation of momentum with angles is a simplified model and does not take into account external forces, such as air resistance and friction, which can affect the outcome of collisions. It also assumes perfectly elastic collisions, which may not always be the case in real-life situations.