Conservation of momentum spaceship problem

In summary, a spaceship of mass 2.00×10^6 kg traveling at a speed of 6.00×10^6 m/s is blown into three pieces when its antimatter reactor fails. One piece, with a mass of 4.60×10^5 kg, moves backward at a speed of 2.10×10^6 m/s, while another piece, with a mass of 8.30×10^5 kg, moves forward at a speed of 1.30×10^6 m/s. Using conservation of momentum, the mass of the third piece is found to be 7.1 x 10^5 kg. Plugging this value into the equation, the final speed
twotoes777

Homework Statement

A spaceship of mass 2.00×10^6 kg is cruising at a speed of 6.00×10^6 m/s when the antimatter reactor fails, blowing the ship into three pieces. One section, having a mass of 4.60×10^5 kg, is blown straight backward with a speed of 2.10×10^6 m/s. A second piece, with mass 8.30×10^5 kg, continues forward at 1.30×10^6 m/s.

Homework Equations

P1+P2+P3 = P(system)
m1(v1)+m2(v2)+m3(v3) = m(total)v(total)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, ... I'm thinking this is a conservation of momentum problem... so at first I used the above equations. First off, I tried to find the mass of the third piece (since it's not given, its necessary) which is: M3 = M_t - (m_1 + m_2) = 7.1 x 10^5 kg.

Then, I substituted all of the answers into the final equation, which gives me 1.4 x 10^7 m/s. However, this is wrong. Can anyone point me to what I'm missing?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass looks right to me. Show exactly what you plugged into get your answer for the speed.

Clarification..

Thanks for responding!

Here we go...

(4.6*10^5)(2.1*10^6) + (8.3*10^5)(1.3*10^6) + (7.1*10^5)(v3) = 1.2*10^13

(1.2*10^13) - (9.66*10^11+1.079*10^12) = (7.1 *10^5)(v3)

9.955*10^12 = (7.1 *10^5)(v3)

(v3) = 1.4*10^7 :(

I have to be missing something obvious... :(

twotoes777 said:
(4.6*10^5)(2.1*10^6) + (8.3*10^5)(1.3*10^6) + (7.1*10^5)(v3) = 1.2*10^13
Careful with signs: The 4.60×10^5 kg piece moves backwards.

Oh my goodness, yes, you are right.

Thanks for the help... I got it now, and that makes sense. I was wondering how it would matter if the piece went forward and not backwards.

Thanks again. :)

Related to Conservation of momentum spaceship problem

What is the conservation of momentum spaceship problem?

The conservation of momentum spaceship problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the momentum of a spaceship before and after a collision with another object. It is based on the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant as long as there are no external forces acting on it.

Why is the conservation of momentum important in this problem?

The conservation of momentum is important in this problem because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects before and after a collision. It allows us to calculate the velocity and direction of the spaceship after the collision, based on the momentum of the objects involved.

What are the key equations used in solving the conservation of momentum spaceship problem?

The key equations used in solving the conservation of momentum spaceship problem are the momentum equation (p=mv), the total momentum equation (Σp=Σmv), and the principle of conservation of momentum (Σpinitial=Σpfinal).

What assumptions are made when solving the conservation of momentum spaceship problem?

There are a few key assumptions that are made when solving the conservation of momentum spaceship problem. These include assuming that there are no external forces acting on the system, that the collision is elastic (meaning no energy is lost), and that the objects involved in the collision are point masses with no size or shape.

Can the conservation of momentum be applied to any type of collision?

Yes, the conservation of momentum can be applied to any type of collision, as long as the assumptions mentioned above hold true. This principle is a fundamental law of physics and is applicable to all types of collisions, including those involving spaceships.