Conservation of Momentum on Inclined and Flat Surfaces

In summary, the conservation of momentum on a cart will depend on the situation, as gravity can be both an internal and external force. In the case of the cart on an incline, the total momentum of the cart and the incline/earth system will be conserved, while on a flat surface, the momentum of the cart will not be conserved due to the external force of gravity.
EverythingIsACircle
Would momentum be conserved on a cart if in one situation it is on an incline and the other it is on a flat surface(assuming it is pushed)

I am confused because I thought that since gravity is an internal force, it is a conservative force. But then the final velocity of the cart would be higher. Please help I'm in high school who's struggling in physics

Physics news on Phys.org
EverythingIsACircle said:
I am confused because I thought that since gravity is an internal force, it is a conservative force.
As far as the cart is concerned, gravity is an external force. Momentum of the cart will not be conserved. (Total momentum of the cart plus incline/earth will be conserved. In that system, gravity is an internal force.)

Related to Conservation of Momentum on Inclined and Flat Surfaces

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How is momentum conserved?

Momentum is conserved when the total momentum of a system remains the same before and after a collision or interaction between objects. This means that the sum of the momentums of all the objects involved in the system is constant.

3. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system where no external forces are acting, the total momentum of the system remains constant.

4. Does momentum stay the same in all types of collisions?

No, momentum may not stay the same in all types of collisions. In an elastic collision, where there is no loss of kinetic energy, momentum is conserved. However, in an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy may be lost and momentum may not be conserved.

5. How is momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

Momentum is related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first and second laws. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration, which is directly related to momentum (p=mv).