Conservation of Momentum in Collisions. Help with plots

In summary, the experiment involves colliding 2 gliders on an airtrack and recording their initial and final speeds. The goal is to plot a graph that proves the Conservation of Momentum, using the equation m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f. The suggested method is to use v2f as the Y-axis and v1f as the X-axis, with the different experiments represented by multiple lines or points on the graph.
VyRianS

Homework Statement

This is an experiment involving colliding 2 gliders on an airtrack. Initial and final speeds are both recorded. I need to plot a graph that proves the Conservation of Momentum holds true, but I can't seem to get the correct Y and X axis variables. Assuming both masses m1 and m2 are known, how do I go about doing this?

Homework Equations

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

The Attempt at a Solution

This only thing I can think of is manipulating the equation so it looks like:

v2f = (m1/m2)(v1i - v1f) + v2i

Thus I'll be taking v2f as my Y-axis, v1i - v1f as my X-axis. However, my constant is the variable v2i, so this model will probably not work...

I'd appreciate all the help given, and thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, both of the initial velocities are constants.
So in your equation, y-axis is [itex]V_{2f}[/itex] and the x-axis is [itex]V_{1f}[/itex]. So the graph would show how the velocity of one glider depends on the velocity of the other.

I will be repeating this experiment 5 times, getting different initial speeds each time.

Can it still be graphed the same way, since vis will be different each time?

Well, for each repeat of the experiment, you could draw a different line on the graph.
Hopefully each of these lines will have the same gradient, but will intercept the axis in different places.

Edit: actually, If you are only recording the final velocities once for each experiment, then what I've said here won't be helpful, since you wouldn't get several lines, just points.

maybe instead you could calculate [itex]m_1V_{1i}+m_2V_{2i} - m_1V_{1f} - m_2V_{2f} [/itex] for each experiment (which should be about zero) and use this as the y axis, and use experiment number as your x-axis. So then you should get 5 points, which should be roughly on the x axis.

Related to Conservation of Momentum in Collisions. Help with plots

What is conservation of momentum in collisions?

Conservation of momentum in collisions is a fundamental principle in physics that states the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. This means that in a collision between two objects, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

How does the conservation of momentum apply to real-world collisions?

The conservation of momentum applies to all types of collisions, whether they are between two objects of different masses, objects of the same mass, or objects moving at different speeds. It also applies to collisions between objects in different directions.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy such as heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved.

How is conservation of momentum used in analyzing collisions?

Conservation of momentum is used to predict the outcome of collisions, including the final velocities of the objects involved. By applying the principle of conservation of momentum, scientists and engineers can design safer and more efficient systems, such as car airbags.

What are some real-life applications of conservation of momentum in collisions?

Conservation of momentum is used in many real-life scenarios, such as car crashes, billiard balls colliding, and sports like football and hockey. It is also an important concept in understanding the motion of particles in particle accelerators and spacecraft maneuvers.