Conservation of Momentum in an Explosion Problem

In summary: No problem! Happy to help :) And yes, the momentum of the pieces flying in opposite directions will always be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction (due to the conservation of momentum principle). Good luck with your problem!
indietro

Homework Statement

An object at rest explodes into three pieces. Two of them are equal in mass and break off at an angle of 85.3° to each other, both with a speed of 33.2 m/s. The last piece has 4 times as much mass as each of the other pieces. What is the magnitude of the velocity of the last piece?

Homework Equations

pf = pi
m1 = m2
m3 = 4*m1
v1 = v2 = 33.2 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that i need to consider the momentum that is conserved as components in the x and y direction. but I am not too sure how to draw out my picture to get my angles.
y: pf=pi
0 = m1cos(4.7)(33.2) + (4m1)sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

x: pf=pi
0 = m1(33.2) + v3(m3)(cos[tex]\theta[/tex]) + m1sin(4.7)(33.2)

im not sure if I am approaching this correctly...?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Yes, the general approach is to make use of the fact that momentum is conserved (before vs. after the collision). In order for momentum to be conserved, the third mass (4m) will have to have a certain x-component and a certain y-component (you can apply conservation of momentum separately for each direction). The x- and y-components of this third piece together give you the information about both the magnitude and direction of its velocity.

Also, a nice shortcut is that by symmetry, the x (or y, depending on how you set up your coordinates) components of the two equal masses cancel each other out, and you don't even have to calculate them.

EDIT: I don't understand where you get the angle 4.7 from?

cepheid said:
EDIT: I don't understand where you get the angle 4.7 from?

so i just said that one mass will go directly east and then the other mass will go 80.3 deg from it north.. so to make a right angle triangle 90-80.3 = 4.7

I also don't understand what you mean that they will cancel out and you don't need to calculate them?

Why is one angle [itex]\theta[/itex] and the other 4.7?

Assuming this is in two dimensions we can set up a coordinate with the positive x-axis in the direction that the first piece flies and the positive y-axis 90 degrees north of that. Then the momentum vector of the first piece is [itex]32.2m\vec{i}[/itex]. the piece that goes 85.3 degrees "north" of that will have momentum [itex]33.2m cos(85.3)\vec{i}+ 33.2m sin(85.3)\vec{j}[/itex] or, same thing, [itex]33.2m sin(4.7)\vec{i}+ 33.2m cos(4.7)\vec{j}[/itex]. Add those to get the total momentum vector of the two pieces. The momentum vector of the third piece will be in the opposite direction with with the same magnitude. You can calculate the speed from the magnitude of the momentum vector.

You might find it easier to do this problem if you set up your coordinate system as follows:

Positive x-direction is to the right. You can call this 'east' if you like.

Positive y-direction is upward. You can call this 'north' if you like.

Mass 1 travels at an angle of (85.3)/2 deg = 42.65 deg in the counterclockwise direction from the positive x-axis (i.e. 42.65 deg north of east)

Mass 2 travels at an angle of (85.3)/2 = 42.65 degrees in the clockwise direction from the positive x-axis (i.e. 42.65 degrees south of east).

By setting up the the problem in this way, you have exploited the *symmetry* of the situation. Since the y-components of masses 1 and 2 are equal and opposite (one is going north or in the +y direction and the other is going south or in the -y direction), they cancel, and you don't even need to calculate them).

You can also deduce, from this setup, that the direction of mass 3 must be entirely in the negative x (west) direction (NO y component), due to conservation of momentum. Calculating this component is then much easier: it is just equal in magnitude to the sum of the x-components of the momenta of the masses 1 and 2.

HallsofIvy said:
The momentum vector of the third piece will be in the opposite direction with with the same magnitude. You can calculate the speed from the magnitude of the momentum vector.

OH! i hadnt understood that. so is it always true that in an explosion problem the momentum of the piece(s) flying in positive direction will equal the momentum of the piece(s) flying in negative direction?

Yeah! The principle of conservation of momentum (some law, i forgot the name) says the momentum of a system before an event is equal to the momentum after the event, as far as no external forces are involved.

ok i was thinking about this all wrong.. i had assumed that since it was at rest it would be sitting on a table or the floor so all the pieces would fly out (semi-circle-type) and none would fly out in the negative y-direction.
THANK YOU for all your help!

Related to Conservation of Momentum in an Explosion Problem

1. What is the conservation of momentum in an explosion problem?

The conservation of momentum in an explosion problem refers to the principle that states that the total momentum of a system before and after an explosion must remain constant. In other words, the total momentum of all objects involved in the explosion must be the same before and after the explosion occurs.

2. Why is the conservation of momentum important in an explosion problem?

The conservation of momentum is important in an explosion problem because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects involved in the explosion. It allows us to determine the direction and velocity of objects after an explosion by analyzing the initial momentum of the system.

3. How does the conservation of momentum apply to explosions?

In an explosion, the total momentum of all objects involved must remain constant. This means that if one object gains momentum in a certain direction, another object must lose an equal amount of momentum in the opposite direction. This ensures that the total momentum of the system remains the same before and after the explosion.

4. What factors can affect the conservation of momentum in an explosion problem?

The conservation of momentum in an explosion problem can be affected by the mass and velocity of the objects involved. If the explosion occurs in a vacuum, there will be no external forces acting on the objects, and the total momentum will remain constant. However, in the presence of external forces such as air resistance, the conservation of momentum may not be strictly applicable.

5. How is the conservation of momentum calculated in an explosion problem?

To calculate the conservation of momentum in an explosion problem, the initial momentum of all objects involved must be added together. The final momentum of the objects after the explosion must also be calculated. If the total momentum before and after the explosion is the same, then the conservation of momentum has been satisfied.