Conservation of momentum and lost energy

In summary: That's because the lab frame is at rest while the belt frame is moving. Does this mean that the change in KE in the belt frame is negative while the change in KE in the lab frame is positive?No. What does this mean for the argument?It means that the change in KE in the belt frame is positive while the change in KE in the lab frame is negative.
RubinLicht

Homework Statement

sorry for the long question.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I get everything up until it asks where the extra "half" of the power is spent. I do know that the extra half is referring to the "2" dK/dt. I have spent the last hour or so thinking about this while working the chapter practice problems out, just in case i glimpse a moment of realization by thinking about energy. Unfortunately no.

Since this is not a "homework problem" could someone just explain why it is 2dK/dt and not the more logical dK/dt?
Energy lost during collision of sand with belt? perhaps something to do with the fact that the belt is a belt and not a plane moving perpetually right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of one of the grains of sand as a little block that is dropped onto the moving belt. Think about how it looks in a reference frame moving with the belt. In this frame the belt is at rest and the block has an initial horizontal speed vo just before it lands on the belt. Then the block skids to rest on the belt. So, in this frame of reference, all the initial kinetic energy of the block (½mvo2) is "lost". What actually happened to that energy?

TSny said:
Think of one of the grains of sand as a little block that is dropped onto the moving belt. Think about how it looks in a reference frame moving with the belt. In this frame the belt is at rest and the block has an initial horizontal speed vo just before it lands on the belt. Then the block skids to rest on the belt. So, in this frame of reference, all the initial kinetic energy of the block (½mvo2) is "lost". What actually happened to that energy?
Oh yea I recall thinking about where the ke went but I just skipped over that thought... Oops. Thanks tho

I came across this problem and found it pretty interesting .

Consider the lab frame and (hopper+sand+belt) as the system .

Power input by external force acting on the belt = ΔK/Δt ( rate of change of KE of falling sand ) + ΔE/Δt ( rate of generation of thermal energy due to friction between falling sand and belt ) .

Now , switch to a frame moving with the belt and sand falling on the belt as the system .

Applying Work KE theorem , W ( work done by friction ) = ΔK ( change in KE of the falling sand ) . Further , W = ΔE as work done by friction is dissipated as thermal energy .

So , ΔK = ΔE and P = 2ΔK/Δt .

@TSny , Is there any flaw in this reasoning ?

Last edited:
conscience said:
Is there any flaw in this reasoning ?
I think it's a good argument. The "work done by friction" can be tricky (see http://www4.ncsu.edu/~basherwo/docs/Friction1984.pdf). But the way you used this concept looks ok to me. The important thing in your argument is that in the belt frame, the initial kinetic energy of the sand is completely converted into thermal energy.

Also, you are switching between frames in your analysis. How would you answer someone who points out that the change in kinetic energy of an object as measured in one frame is generally different than the change in kinetic energy of the object as measured in a different frame? Does ΔKsand in the belt frame equal ΔKsand in the lab frame?

Last edited:
Likes conscience
TSny said:
Also, you are switching between frames in your analysis. How would you answer someone who points out that the change in kinetic energy of an object as measured in one frame is generally different than the change in kinetic energy of the object as measured in a different frame?

Fair enough :smile:

TSny said:
Does ΔKsand in the belt frame equal ΔKsand in the lab frame?

Yes . In the belt frame , a grain of sand decelerates from -v to 0 , ΔK = ½mv2

In the lab frame , a grain of sand accelerates from 0 to v , ΔK = ½mv2 .

We can see the change in KE in both the frames is equal .

OK, but note that ΔK has opposite sign for the two frames of reference.

Likes conscience

Related to Conservation of momentum and lost energy

1. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any internal or external forces acting on the system. This means that the total amount of momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total amount of momentum after the collision or interaction.

2. How does conservation of momentum relate to lost energy?

Conservation of momentum is closely related to the concept of lost energy. In an isolated system, where there are no external forces acting on the system, the total energy (including kinetic and potential energy) is conserved. However, in real-world situations, there will always be some energy that is lost due to factors such as friction, air resistance, and heat transfer. This lost energy is not accounted for in the principle of conservation of momentum, but it is important to consider in order to accurately predict the outcome of a collision or interaction.

3. What is an example of conservation of momentum in action?

A classic example of conservation of momentum is a billiards game. When a cue ball strikes a stationary ball, the cue ball transfers some of its momentum to the stationary ball, causing it to move. However, the total momentum of the system (the two balls together) remains the same. This is why the cue ball slows down after the collision, while the other ball speeds up.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its momentum?

The momentum of an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that the more massive an object is, the greater its momentum will be. This relationship is described by the equation p=mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. This is why a larger, heavier object will have a greater impact in a collision compared to a smaller, lighter object with the same velocity.

5. Can momentum be lost in a closed system?

No, momentum cannot be lost in a closed system. This is due to the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. While some energy may be lost in a collision or interaction, the total amount of momentum in the system will always remain the same.