Conservation of Momentum and Energy in Fisherman-Boat Interaction

In summary, a 88 kg fisherman jumps from a dock into a 123 kg rowboat at rest on the West side of the dock. With the velocity of the fisherman at 4.1 m/s to the West, the final velocity of the fisherman and the boat can be calculated by multiplying the initial momentum of the fisherman (88*4.1) and the final momentum of the combined system (211v), and solving for v. Taking East as the positive direction, the final velocity would be -1.71 m/s.
Ronaldo21
Basic Momentum and Energy!

Note: Take East as the positive direction. A(n) 88 kg fisherman jumps from a dock
into a 123 kg rowboat at rest on theWest side of the dock.
If the velocity of the fisherman is 4.1 m/s to the West as he leaves the dock, what is the
final velocity of the fisherman and the boat?
Answer in units of m/s.

so do i just do 88 times 4.1 and get 36.08
then do (88+123)v and get 211v
then do 36.08=211v and solve for v??

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, because initial momentum = 88*4.1 and final momentum=(88+123)v.

no because i did that and got 360.8 = 211V
then i solved for v and got 1.709952607 and it said i got it wrong.
did i do anything wrong?

Look at what direction is positive. You solved correctly

The answer would be -1.71m/s

-? why negative??

Right, trick question! "Note: Take East as the positive direction."

ohh! gotcha!
thank you very much!

Related to Conservation of Momentum and Energy in Fisherman-Boat Interaction

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In other words, the momentum of an object is its mass multiplied by its velocity.

2. How is momentum conserved?

Momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that if there are no external forces acting on the system, the total momentum of the system will remain constant. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

3. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as one-half of the mass of an object multiplied by the square of its velocity. In other words, the kinetic energy of an object depends on its mass and how fast it is moving.

4. How does kinetic energy relate to momentum?

The relationship between kinetic energy and momentum is that an object's kinetic energy is directly proportional to its momentum. This means that as an object's momentum increases, so does its kinetic energy.

5. Can an object with zero momentum have kinetic energy?

No, an object with zero momentum means that it is not moving, and therefore, it has no kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is dependent on an object's velocity, and if an object is not in motion, it cannot have any kinetic energy.