Conservation of momentum and concept of center of mass.

In summary, the frog sitting on a long board of length 5m wants to jump to the opposite end of the board on a frictionless table. The minimum take-off speed (in s.i. units) needed for the frog to successfully make the jump is 5m/s, with the assumption that the frog and board have equal masses. This is found by using the equation V0^2 = Vx^2 + Vy^2 and setting Vx to 5/sqrt(2) and solving for Vy, which also equals 5/sqrt(2). This results in a minimum velocity of 5m/s for the frog to make the jump.
Satvik Pandey

Homework Statement

A frog sits on the end of a long board of length L=5m . The board rests on a frictionless horizontal table. The frog wants to jump to the opposite end of the board . What is the minimum take-off speed (in s.i. Units) i.e.,relative to ground 'v' that allows the frog to do the trick ? The board and the frog have equal masses.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

aaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

[/B]
As no external force act in the horizontal direction on the system so horizontal velocity of the frog is equal to the velocity of the plank (their directions are opposite). And also the position of the CoM of the system at final position and initial position should be same.

Now , the CoM of the plank will be displaced by length ##5/2##.

So ##t=\frac{5}{2V_{x}}##.....(1)

In this time period the from will jump and land on the plank.

So ##t=\frac{V_{y}}{5}##.....(2)

Using eq(1) and (2) we get

##V_{y}V_{x}=\frac{25}{2}##...(3)

Let the net velocity of the frog be ##v_{0}##

So ##{ V }_{ 0 }^{ 2 }={ V }_{ x }^{ 2 }+{ V }_{ y }^{ 2 }##.....(4)

So ##{ V }_{ 0 }^{ 2 }={ V }_{ x }^{ 2 }+{ \left( \frac { 25 }{ 2{ V }_{ x } } \right) }^{ 2 }##

##V_{0}## will be minimum when ##V_{0} ^{2}## will be minimum.

So differentiating the equation wrt ##V_{x}## and equating to 0 I got that this function would have minimum value when ##V_{x}=\frac { 5 }{ \sqrt { 2 } } ##. So ##V_{y}=\frac { 5 }{ \sqrt { 2 } } ##

Putting this in equation(4) I got minimum value of ##v_{0}=5m/s##.

But ##5m/s## is not in the options provided. I am doubting my solution. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Satvik Pandey said:

Homework Statement

A frog sits on the end of a long board of length L=5m . The board rests on a frictionless horizontal table. The frog wants to jump to the opposite end of the board . What is the minimum take-off speed (in s.i. Units) i.e.,relative to ground 'v' that allows the frog to do the trick ? The board and the frog have equal masses.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 81756
[/B]
As no external force act in the horizontal direction on the system so horizontal velocity of the frog is equal to the velocity of the plank (their directions are opposite). And also the position of the CoM of the system at final position and initial position should be same.

Now , the CoM of the plank will be displaced by length ##5/2##.

So ##t=\frac{5}{2V_{x}}##.....(1)

In this time period the from will jump and land on the plank.

So ##t=\frac{V_{y}}{5}##.....(2)

Using eq(1) and (2) we get

##V_{y}V_{x}=\frac{25}{2}##...(3)

Let the net velocity of the frog be ##v_{0}##

So ##{ V }_{ 0 }^{ 2 }={ V }_{ x }^{ 2 }+{ V }_{ y }^{ 2 }##.....(4)

So ##{ V }_{ 0 }^{ 2 }={ V }_{ x }^{ 2 }+{ \left( \frac { 25 }{ 2{ V }_{ x } } \right) }^{ 2 }##

##V_{0}## will be minimum when ##V_{0} ^{2}## will be minimum.

So differentiating the equation wrt ##V_{x}## and equating to 0 I got that this function would have minimum value when ##V_{x}=\frac { 5 }{ \sqrt { 2 } } ##. So ##V_{y}=\frac { 5 }{ \sqrt { 2 } } ##

Putting this in equation(4) I got minimum value of ##v_{0}=5m/s##.

But ##5m/s## is not in the options provided. I am doubting my solution. Am I right?

Your logic that the plank moves 5/2 is sound. But, you could also see this as the frog and plank must have equal and opposite velocities in the x direction. So, the frog must jump 5/2 and the plank move 5/2.

This statement is wrong:

"In this time period the from will jump and land on the plank.

So ##t=\frac{V_{y}}{5}##.....(2)"

I'm not sure how you got that. Given gravity is involved.

Anyway, the problem is essentially to find the minimum speed for the frog to jump 5/2. Does that sound familiar?

he just took g=10, and the time to go up equals the time to get down equal to [itex]V_y/g[/itex] so total time [itex]t=2/10 V_y[/itex]. But yes the problem is essentially the minimum initial speed for the frog to have a horizontal displacement 5/2 when it lands.

Likes Satvik Pandey
PeroK said:

So ##t=\frac{V_{y}}{5}##.....(2)"

I'm not sure how you got that. Given gravity is involved.

Let the vertical velocity of the frog be ##V_{y}## So time required to reach the highest position is ##V_{y}/g##

So total time of flight would be ##2V_{y}/g##

PeroK said:
Your logic that the plank moves 5/2 is sound. But, you could also see this as the frog and plank must have equal and opposite velocities in the x direction. So, the frog must jump 5/2 and the plank move 5/2.

How you proved that frog only jumps 5/2?
PeroK said:

Why is this wrong?

Satvik Pandey said:
Let the vertical velocity of the frog be ##V_{y}## So time required to reach the highest position is ##V_{y}/g##

So total time of flight would be ##2V_{y}/g##
How you proved that frog only jumps 5/2?Why is this wrong?

I thought you had divided by the length of the plank(!), but I see from what Delta said that you are using ##g = 10 ms^{-2}##.

Your solution is almost correct, you just made a sily mistake taking square roots at the end.

Likes Satvik Pandey
PeroK said:
I thought you had divided by the length of the plank(!), but I see from what Delta said that you are using ##g = 10 ms^{-2}##.

Your solution is almost correct, you just made a sily mistake taking square roots at the end.

Thank you PeroK :smile:. Could you please point the mistake. I am unable to find it.:oldconfused:

Satvik Pandey said:
Thank you PeroK :smile:. Could you please point the mistake. I am unable to find it.:oldconfused:

Apologies, my mistake. I agree with your answer.

what options your answer key gives?
maybe there is slight difference due to g, maybe there is a different value given for g like g=9.81?

PeroK said:
Apologies, my mistake. I agree with your answer.
Thank you! :smile:

Delta² said:
what options your answer key gives?
maybe there is slight difference due to g, maybe there is a different value given for g like g=9.81?

Other potions were 1,2,3 and 4. But the answer of this question is ##2m/s##. I think it is wrong.

Thank you PeroK and Delta2. :smile:

Related to Conservation of momentum and concept of center of mass.

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any external forces acting on the system. In other words, the total amount of momentum before and after an interaction or event must be the same.

2. How does the concept of center of mass relate to conservation of momentum?

The center of mass is the point in a system where the total mass of the system can be considered to be concentrated. In a closed system, the center of mass remains constant and therefore, any changes to the system's momentum must be balanced around this point. This is why the concept of center of mass is important in understanding and applying the principle of conservation of momentum.

3. Can conservation of momentum be violated?

No, conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics and has been extensively tested and verified through experiments. It is a law of nature that applies to all interactions and events in the universe.

4. What are some real-life examples of conservation of momentum?

There are many examples of conservation of momentum in everyday life, such as a billiard ball collision, a rocket launching into space, or a person jumping off a diving board. In each of these situations, the total momentum before and after the event remains the same, demonstrating the principle of conservation of momentum.

5. How is conservation of momentum related to Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, the force exerted by one object on the other is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. This directly relates to conservation of momentum, as the total momentum of the system must remain constant, and any changes in momentum must be balanced by an equal and opposite change in momentum of the other object.