Conservation of Momentum 2D Collision angles/directions

In summary: In this scenario, two balls are approaching each other from different directions before collision. After collision, they both move away from each other at different angles.
Ocata
Hi,

I googled 2d elastic collisions to see if I could find a problem where two objects are approaching each other from different directions before collision and then moving away from each other at different directions after collision, but I noticed that all the problems I've found have 1 of two scenarios:

Approaching each other in a linear fashion before collision and then moving away from each other after collision at different angles.

Or approaching each other from different directions/angles before collision and then both objects move in the same direction after collision in an inelastic way.

So how come I haven't noticed any problems where each object has different angles/directions both before and after collision?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure I follow. Isn't the first scenario that you presented applicable to any incoming angle? I am thinking the trig should be the same.
By the way in your first scenario, what did you mean by approaching in linear fashion? Collinear? If so, how come they move away in different angles?

Likes Ocata
Momentum is a vector and as with any vector, it can be resolved into components. Generally, we resolve vectors into horizontal (x) and vertical (y) components. The diagram to the right shows a vector, v, resolved into its x and y components. Momentum is "mass in motion", or a measure of how much motion an object has.

Likes Ocata
Ocata said:
So how come I haven't noticed any problems where each object has different angles/directions both before and after collision?
You can transform any problem into a reference frame where this is the case.

Likes Ocata
qsal, dennisron, and A.T.,

Okay, thanks, I'll go ahead and give it a try. I'll make up a problem and try solving it up until the point where I believe I'll be getting stuck and post it in the HW section for further evaluation and guidance. Thank you.

The analysis of two balls with different approach angles and velocities rebounding after collision is very complex .

In general the balls could contact each other anywhere on the approach sides of their profiles ( actually could miss altogether in many cases) .

Rebound angles then depend on the angles of approach and on angles of contact on the two spherical profiles . Also any significant off set of contact points relative to ball centres can cause spin which can alter the rebound angles and in some cases cause ball to track away on a curved path .

Study the kinetics of ball contact in table games such as Billiards and Snooker . Even though there is now one static target ball and one moving cue ball many of the principles are the same as for two balls moving . Expert players exploit the advantages of offset contact collisions . Indeed they take things further by not only offsetting the contacts but also adding side and/or top spin to cue ball when taking shot .

Likes Ocata
Thank you Nidum,

The scenario I'm presenting is actually not intending to take into account a lot of the (necessary) parameters you have described for sake of beginner simplicity. I'm just looking at the problem from the perspective described in a basic, high school level, non calculus, applied physics type of textbook.

Related to Conservation of Momentum 2D Collision angles/directions

What is conservation of momentum in a 2D collision?

Conservation of momentum in a 2D collision is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after a collision, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

How does direction affect conservation of momentum in a 2D collision?

Direction is an important factor in conservation of momentum in a 2D collision. The total momentum of a system can only be conserved if the direction of the individual momenta are taken into account. This means that the momenta in the x and y direction must be separately conserved.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions in terms of conservation of momentum in a 2D collision?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the objects involved will bounce off each other with no loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved, and some kinetic energy is lost as the objects may stick together after the collision.

What is the role of angles in conservation of momentum in a 2D collision?

Angles play a crucial role in conservation of momentum in a 2D collision. The angles at which the objects collide will determine the direction of their individual momenta and ultimately affect the total momentum of the system. It is important to take into account the angles of the objects' initial and final velocities when calculating the momentum of the system.

How can conservation of momentum in a 2D collision be applied in real-world situations?

Conservation of momentum in a 2D collision has many practical applications. For example, it is used in sports such as billiards and pool, where players must calculate the angles and direction of the balls in order to make successful shots. It is also used in traffic engineering to determine the impact of collisions between cars and in fields such as astrophysics to understand the motion of celestial bodies.