Conservation of mechanical energy vs sum of forces

In summary, the conversation discussed two approaches for finding the final velocity of a block on a slope attached to a spring. One approach used the principle of conservation of mechanical energy, while the other used the sum of forces equals to the mass times acceleration. The answers should be the same, but there seems to be a discrepancy in the calculated values. Further examination is needed to find the error.
Donovan
When do one use the principle of conservation of mechanical energy to find the velocity of a mass, and when would you use the sum of forces equals to the mass times acceleration, and there after use a ds=v dv in order to find the velocity.

The specific question related to this is a spring fixed to a mass which is pulled up a slope by a constant force. They want the final velocity. I already have the force in terms of distance that the spring applies of the mass. I have the constant force etc.

I used sum of F's = ma and a ds = v dv in order to find velocity. In the memo however They used conservation of energy: T1 +V1 +U1-2 = T2 +V2. My answer is different to the memo. Should'nt the answer be the same? and if not? Whats the two cases that splits these two methods of approach?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Donovan said:
When do one use the principle of conservation of mechanical energy to find the velocity of a mass, and when would you use the sum of forces equals to the mass times acceleration, and there after use a ds=v dv in order to find the velocity.

The specific question related to this is a spring fixed to a mass which is pulled up a slope by a constant force. They want the final velocity. I already have the force in terms of distance that the spring applies of the mass. I have the constant force etc.

I used sum of F's = ma and a ds = v dv in order to find velocity. In the memo however They used conservation of energy: T1 +V1 +U1-2 = T2 +V2. My answer is different to the memo. Should'nt the answer be the same? and if not? Whats the two cases that splits these two methods of approach?

Yes, the answers should be the same. Can you post the detailed work for both methods? We can help to find the error(s). :-)

Question: calculate speed of block at final position.
GIven: block on slope of 15 degree incline attached to spring; spring applies force down the slope with stiffness of 450 N/m; frictional coefficient= 0.28 kinetic and 0.3 static; constant force of 150N applied up the slope; final position has spring stretched to 0.2m; initial position has string unstretched and block velocity of 0 m/s.

Calculated: work done by applied force=30J ; work done by frictional force= -4,327; potential energy of spring in final position = 9J.

According to work energy theorem (memo):
T1+V1+U1-2=T2+V2
0+0+30-4,327=0.5 * (80/9) * (V squared)+9+4,141
V=1,753 m/sAccording to sum of forces:
sum of F = ma
150-80sin15 - 21,64-450x=80a
a=1,346 - 5,625x

since a ds=v dv

integrate...
1,346*0,2-(5,625/2)*(0.2 squared)=0,5*(V squared)
V=0,56 m/s

Thanks for the help

Related to Conservation of mechanical energy vs sum of forces

1. What is the difference between conservation of mechanical energy and sum of forces?

The conservation of mechanical energy states that the total mechanical energy in a system remains constant, while the sum of forces refers to the net force acting on an object. Essentially, conservation of mechanical energy focuses on the total energy within a system, while the sum of forces focuses on the external forces acting on an object.

2. How are conservation of mechanical energy and sum of forces related?

The sum of forces acting on an object can affect its mechanical energy. If there is a net external force acting on an object, it can change the object's kinetic or potential energy, thus affecting the total mechanical energy in the system. However, if there is no net external force, the object's mechanical energy will remain constant due to the principle of conservation of mechanical energy.

3. Can conservation of mechanical energy and sum of forces be used interchangeably?

No, conservation of mechanical energy and sum of forces are two distinct principles. Conservation of mechanical energy focuses on the total energy within a system, while the sum of forces focuses on the external forces acting on an object. They cannot be used interchangeably, but they are related and can be used together to analyze a system.

4. How can conservation of mechanical energy and sum of forces be applied in real-world situations?

Conservation of mechanical energy and sum of forces are fundamental principles in physics and can be applied in a variety of real-world situations. For example, they are used in analyzing the motion of objects in physics experiments, designing structures such as bridges and roller coasters, and understanding the movement of celestial bodies in space.

5. Are there any exceptions to the principles of conservation of mechanical energy and sum of forces?

While conservation of mechanical energy and sum of forces are fundamental principles, there are some situations where they may not apply. For example, in systems with non-conservative forces such as friction, the total mechanical energy may not remain constant. Additionally, in situations involving very small particles, quantum effects may come into play, and the principles may not hold true.