Conservation of Mechanical Energy Problem

In summary, Red, a girl of mass m, is swinging from a tree branch using a rope of length R. The rope must have a minimum breaking tension in order for Red to not drop into the creek. This breaking tension must be greater than the maximum tension the rope experiences during the swing. This is calculated by finding the girl's speed at the bottom of the swing using conservation of energy and then calculating the force pulling her towards the center, which is equal to the tension in the rope. The breaking tension must be greater than this tension to prevent the rope from breaking.
smeagol
This is something I am learning on my own. However, this problem is confusing me:

Red is a girl of mass m who is taking a picnic lunch to her grandmother. She ties a rope of length R to a tree branch over a creek and starts swing from rest at point A, which is a distance R/2 lower than the branch. What is the minimum breaking tension for the rope if it is not to break and drop Red into the creek?

What is this breaking tension thing? I don't quite understand what I am suppose to calculuate.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Tension of the rope at the time of breaking will be zero.

Think why it Should be zero?

I'll assume you've already calculated the tension on the rope for all points during red's swing.

What is the maximum value for this tension. Let's say it was 100N.

Now let's say that the breaking tension in the rope was 90N. this means that at 90N or more tension, the rope will snap.

So in order that red not plummet to her icy doom the breaking tension will have to be greater that the largest tension the rope expieriences during the swing.

then there's no force pulling on the rope?

Also. How is there anywork done on this? the mass is accelerating toward the center, but movint tangent to the circle?

Originally posted by smeagol
What is this breaking tension thing? I don't quite understand what I am suppose to calculuate.
When the girl is at the bottom of the swing, she will have maximum speed and the tension in the string (if it doesn't break!) will be maximum.

You can find her speed at the bottom using conservation of energy.

Since she is moving in a circle, you can calculate what the force must be pulling her towards the center. And thus find what the tension in the rope must be. The "breaking tension" of the rope must be greater than the tension at the bottom, else the rope breaks. Make sense?

Related to Conservation of Mechanical Energy Problem

1. What is conservation of mechanical energy?

The conservation of mechanical energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total mechanical energy in a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any internal changes or external forces. This means that the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy in a system remains constant.

2. How is mechanical energy conserved?

Mechanical energy is conserved because energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In a closed system, any changes in kinetic energy will be accompanied by an equal and opposite change in potential energy, keeping the total energy constant.

3. What are some real-world examples of the conservation of mechanical energy?

One example is a pendulum, where the potential energy at the highest point is converted into kinetic energy at the lowest point and back again. Another example is a rollercoaster, where the initial potential energy at the top of a hill is converted into kinetic energy as the cart goes down the hill, and then back into potential energy as it goes up the next hill.

4. Are there any exceptions to the conservation of mechanical energy?

The conservation of mechanical energy only applies to closed systems where there is no external work being done. If there are external forces acting on the system, such as friction or air resistance, then mechanical energy may not be conserved.

5. How can the conservation of mechanical energy be applied to solve problems?

The conservation of mechanical energy can be used to solve problems involving the motion of objects, such as calculating the speed or height of an object at a certain point. By equating the initial and final mechanical energies, one can solve for the unknown variable using basic algebraic equations.