Conservation of mechanical energy of bungee jumper

In summary, a 60kg bungee jumper with a 12m-long bungee cord falls a total of 31m. The spring constant of the bungee cord is calculated to be 101N/m. To calculate the maximum acceleration experienced by the jumper, one needs to take into account the acceleration while going back up. When the cord is stretched maximally, the upwards acceleration is found by subtracting the downwards force (mg) from the "spring force" and then dividing by the mass of the jumper. This value can then be compared to the maximal downwards acceleration of 9.8m/s^2.
joej
A 60kg bungee jumper jumps from a bridge. He is tied to a 12m-long bungee cord and falls a total of 31m
a) calculate the spring constant of the bungee cord
b) calculate the maximum acceleration experienced by the jumper

okay I'm stuck on b) I got a0 calculated without any problems at all, it will be 101N/m the problem with b) is that I initially thought... how would it be possible to have an acceleration of more then 9.8m/s^2 while falling... it isn't! but I never took into consideration the acceleration while going back up and now whatever I do I alwasy come back to the 9.8m/s^2 answer, I need someon to point me in the right direction so I can get off of this damn idea of 9.8m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
When the cord is stretched maximally, you will experience maximal upwards acceleration.
The upwards acceleration is found by subtracting mg (downwards force) from the "spring force" at maximal stretch; and then divide by "m", the mass of the jumper.
Compare then that value of maximal upwards acceleration with 9.8 (maximal downwards acceleration)

a) To calculate the spring constant of the bungee cord, we can use the conservation of mechanical energy equation:

E_initial = E_final

Where E_initial is the initial mechanical energy (potential energy + kinetic energy) and E_final is the final mechanical energy (potential energy + kinetic energy).

We know that the bungee jumper has a mass of 60kg and falls a total of 31m. We also know that the bungee cord is 12m long.

E_initial = mgh = (60kg)(9.8m/s^2)(31m) = 18,108 J

To find the final mechanical energy, we need to consider the potential energy at the lowest point (when the bungee cord is fully extended) and the kinetic energy at that point.

Potential energy at lowest point = mgh = (60kg)(9.8m/s^2)(12m) = 7,056 J

Kinetic energy at lowest point = (1/2)mv^2

To find the velocity at the lowest point, we can use the conservation of energy equation again:

E_initial = E_final

18,108 J = 7,056 J + (1/2)(60kg)v^2

Solving for v, we get v = 13.42 m/s

Therefore, the kinetic energy at the lowest point is (1/2)(60kg)(13.42 m/s)^2 = 5,085 J

The final mechanical energy is then 7,056 J + 5,085 J = 12,141 J

Now, we can use this to find the spring constant:

E_final = (1/2)kx^2

Where x is the extension of the bungee cord. At the lowest point, the bungee cord is fully extended, so x = 12m.

12,141 J = (1/2)k(12m)^2

Solving for k, we get k = 84.38 N/m

b) The maximum acceleration experienced by the jumper can be found using Newton's second law:

F = ma

Where F is the force acting on the jumper, m is the mass of the jumper, and a is the acceleration.

At the lowest point, the only force acting on the jumper is the tension in the bungee cord. This

Related to Conservation of mechanical energy of bungee jumper

1. What is the definition of conservation of mechanical energy?

The conservation of mechanical energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. This means that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How does the conservation of mechanical energy apply to a bungee jumper?

When a bungee jumper is at the top of their jump, they have gravitational potential energy. As they fall, this energy is converted into kinetic energy. When the bungee cord begins to stretch, some of the kinetic energy is converted into elastic potential energy. Finally, as the bungee cord recoils, the elastic potential energy is converted back into kinetic energy, bringing the jumper back to their original height. This process demonstrates the conservation of mechanical energy.

3. What factors can affect the conservation of mechanical energy in a bungee jump?

The main factors that can affect the conservation of mechanical energy in a bungee jump are the stiffness and length of the bungee cord, the height of the jump, and the weight and motion of the jumper. These factors can impact the amount of potential and kinetic energy involved in the jump, and therefore affect the conservation of mechanical energy.

4. Is the conservation of mechanical energy always observed in a bungee jump?

In an ideal scenario, the conservation of mechanical energy would always be observed in a bungee jump. However, factors such as air resistance and friction can cause some energy to be lost and not fully conserved. Additionally, if the bungee cord is not of the correct stiffness or length, the conservation of mechanical energy may not be fully observed.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the conservation of mechanical energy in bungee jumping?

Bungee jumping operators take into account the conservation of mechanical energy when designing jumps to ensure the safety of the participants. If the bungee cord is too long or too stiff, it may not be able to fully convert the kinetic energy back into potential energy, leading to a dangerous recoil. It is important for operators to carefully consider the conservation of mechanical energy to ensure a safe and enjoyable bungee jumping experience.