Conservation of mass for burning log

In summary: So in the context of this discussion, the "gravitational mass" of a log is the same as the mass of the carbon in the log plus the energy of the combustion process, which would be in the form of heat, light, and CO2.Have a look at this, for example:Welcome to PF. In summary, the energy released in chemical reactions when an average person shovels snow for one hour amounts to a mass loss (by E=mc2) of only 10 billionths of a gram!
alegoull
Suppose I burned a log. If I collected all the products of the burning process (the smoke particles, the ashes, etc.) would they have the same exact mass as my original log? Or would they have less mass because they are at a lower energy state then the original log (Energy-mass equivalence)? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
They'd have a little less mass, since some of the mass has been released as heat, light etc.

alegoull said:
Suppose I burned a log. If I collected all the products of the burning process (the smoke particles, the ashes, etc.) would they have the same exact mass as my original log? Or would they have less mass because they are at a lower energy state then the original log (Energy-mass equivalence)? Thanks.
You would have to also capture all of the CO2 and H2O produced by combustion and then you would have to subtract all the O2 used in the combustion process. The mass of the electromagnetic radiation and thermal energy lost by conduction/convection would be so tiny as to be unmeasurable (ie. E/c2).

AM

James R said:
They'd have a little less mass, since some of the mass has been released as heat, light etc.

That happens only in nuclear processes. Burning a log does not convert mass into energy. This experiment has, in fact, been done many times- the total mass- solid ash, water, and gases, less, as Andrew Mason reminded me, the atmospheric oxygen trapped in carbon dioxide and perhaps carbon monoxide- remains the same.

HallsofIvy said:
That happens only in nuclear processes. Burning a log does not convert mass into energy.
I don't think that can be right. The release of a photon carries away some mass. So loss of any amount of energy, whether chemical, nuclear or electromagnetic - even gravitational - must result in loss of mass. But it is so tiny as to be immeasurable.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
I don't think that can be right. The release of a photon carries away some mass. So loss of any amount of energy, whether chemical, nuclear or electromagnetic - even gravitational - must result in loss of mass. But it is so tiny as to be immeasurable.

AM
I think Halls is right. I'm a complete physics newb (well, not complete, but I'm quite the novice still) so I could be wrong with this thought. When a log is being burnt, isn't there energy being put into the log from the burning reaction? Couldn't the energy from burning excite atoms in the log and cause light emission from electrons jumping to a higher energy level and coming back to ground state? Therefor you wouldn't lose mass from the log because the extra energy is from the burning reaction and not from the log?

(Btw, first post! Hey everybody! :smile: )

BillyDee said:
I think Halls is right. I'm a complete physics newb (well, not complete, but I'm quite the novice still) so I could be wrong with this thought. When a log is being burnt, isn't there energy being put into the log from the burning reaction? Couldn't the energy from burning excite atoms in the log and cause light emission from electrons jumping to a higher energy level and coming back to ground state? Therefor you wouldn't lose mass from the log because the extra energy is from the burning reaction and not from the log?

(Btw, first post! Hey everybody! :smile: )
Welcome to PF.

Have a look at this, for example:
http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/education/ask/?quid=590

"As an example, the energy released in chemical reactions when an average person shovels snow for one hour amounts to a mass loss (by E=mc2) of only 10 billionths of a gram!"​

AM

There's a derivation / disucssion of the "gravitational mass" (not my wording) of an electromagnetically bound system in http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9909014 by Steve Carlip which dots all the i's and crosses all the t's. (The argument is presented in detail only for the weak field case and in the case where the internal velocities of the matter are nonrelativistic, but another paper is referenced to support the argument in general).

The end result is that the total "gravitational mass" of a system is the sum of the rest masses, mc^2, plus the total energy of the system E. Use is made of the virial theorem to derive this result. E is divided into two parts, potential energy U and kinetic energy T, and the non-relativistic virial theorem states that T = -U/2.-

Related to Conservation of mass for burning log

1. What is the conservation of mass for burning log?

The conservation of mass for burning log refers to the principle that states the total mass of a log will remain the same before and after it is burned. This means that the mass of the ash, smoke, and gases produced during burning will be equal to the original mass of the log.

2. How does the conservation of mass apply to burning logs?

The law of conservation of mass applies to burning logs because the chemical reaction that occurs during burning does not create or destroy any matter. The log is simply being transformed into different forms, such as ash, smoke, and gases, while maintaining its overall mass.

3. Why is the conservation of mass important in burning logs?

The conservation of mass is important in burning logs because it helps us understand and predict the outcome of the burning process. By knowing that the mass of the log is conserved, we can accurately calculate the amount of fuel needed for burning and the amount of waste products that will be produced.

4. Does the conservation of mass always apply to burning logs?

Yes, the conservation of mass always applies to burning logs. This principle is a fundamental law of chemistry and applies to all chemical reactions, including the burning of logs. As long as all the mass of the log is accounted for, the conservation of mass will hold true.

5. How is the conservation of mass for burning logs related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The conservation of mass for burning logs is closely related to the first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy. This law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. Similarly, the conservation of mass for burning logs states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed into different forms.