Conservation of Energy with an Ellipse

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of conservation of mechanical energy in an elliptical orbit. The question is raised about how this applies specifically to the satellite's mechanical energy. The answer is suggested that this is due to gravity being a conservative force, resulting in any changes in kinetic energy being equal to changes in potential energy, thus conserving mechanical energy. The topic of the larger planet's motion is also briefly mentioned.
SprucerMoose
Gday,

This may be a trivial questiom, but I just cannot figure it out.

Why is mechanical energy conserved with an elliptical orbit? I understand that the mechanical energy of the system, i.e. both bodies, is conserved, but how is this isolated to the satellite's mechanical energy being conserved?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hang on, I think I figured it out.

Is it simply because gravity is a conservative force, thus any change in K.E. = change in Ug, therefore mech energy conserved?

Does this get more complicated if we consider the little motion of the larger planet, or does this simple relationship still hold?

Related to Conservation of Energy with an Ellipse

1. What is the conservation of energy with an ellipse?

The conservation of energy with an ellipse is a physical principle that states that the total energy of a system is constant, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be converted from one form to another.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to an ellipse?

In the case of an ellipse, the law of conservation of energy states that the total energy of the orbiting object remains constant as it moves along its elliptical path, with the energy being exchanged between potential energy and kinetic energy.

3. What is potential energy in relation to an ellipse?

Potential energy in an ellipse refers to the energy that an object has due to its position relative to the center of the ellipse. As the object moves closer to the center, the potential energy decreases, and as it moves away, the potential energy increases.

4. How does kinetic energy play a role in the conservation of energy with an ellipse?

Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, and in an ellipse, it is the energy that the object possesses due to its velocity. As the object moves faster, its kinetic energy increases, and as it slows down, its kinetic energy decreases. The law of conservation of energy states that the total energy of the object, including both potential and kinetic energy, remains constant.

5. Does the conservation of energy with an ellipse apply to all types of orbits?

Yes, the conservation of energy applies to all types of orbits, including elliptical, circular, and parabolic. As long as there are no external forces acting on the object, the total energy of the orbiting object will remain constant.