Conservation of Energy: Where Did Energy Originate?

In summary: If so, how?If what you are saying is true, does this mean that in terms of galaxies as a whole, I can create energy? If so, how?Yes, this is what it means. You can create energy by expanding or contracting the universe.
PFCalvin
Hey guys. I was wondering, if energy cannot be created or destroyed as stated in the conversation of energy, then where did energy come from in the first place?

Physics news on Phys.org
Before we get into a discussion on where the energy was created, do you know what energy is? I only ask because this is going to go nowhere if you don't know what energy is.

Drakkith said:
Before we get into a discussion on where the energy was created, do you know what energy is? I only ask because this is going to go nowhere if you don't know what energy is.

This. Also, no one knows completely for sure, but my view is that the Universe only existed after t=0, and so it's absurd to talk about at the instant of the Big Bang or before (though we can talk about approaching the instant of the BB, in which case all the energy was around.)

Well. We know that energy is the observed quantity that one physical system is able to do work on another physical system. Correct me if I'm wrong.

PFCalvin said:
Well. We know that energy is the observed quantity that one physical system is able to do work on another physical system. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Pretty much correct. So given that energy is the ability to perform work, this suggests that the amount of energy something has is dependent on the state of each system, as in the placement of the particles and their respective velocities, charges, etc. For example a falling rock of 0.1 kg will do far less work (and thus have less energy) than a rock of 10 kg that falls at the same speed. However, falling rocks are either lifted up there, requiring work and energy, or they already existed previously.

The ultimate answer to your question is twofold. First, the creation or birth or whatever you want to call it of the universe is one possible way to create energy (maybe). Unless it has always existed of course, in which case energy has always existed as well. The second thing is that conservation of energy does NOT apply on the cosmological scale, which is where we get into talking about the universe as a whole. Consider this. Galaxies not bound to us are moving away from us. This causes a redshift in their light that reaches us. Now, unlike a moving light bulb here on Earth, these galaxies are NOT moving towards anything else, from their frame of reference all other galaxies are moving away from them as well, thus their light is completely redshifted in all directions. This means that all of the light that is sent out is losing energy from redshift. So conservation of energy does not apply to the universe as a whole, but only to local areas.

Drakkith said:
Pretty much correct. So given that energy is the ability to perform work, this suggests that the amount of energy something has is dependent on the state of each system, as in the placement of the particles and their respective velocities, charges, etc. For example a falling rock of 0.1 kg will do far less work (and thus have less energy) than a rock of 10 kg that falls at the same speed. However, falling rocks are either lifted up there, requiring work and energy, or they already existed previously.

The ultimate answer to your question is twofold. First, the creation or birth or whatever you want to call it of the universe is one possible way to create energy (maybe). Unless it has always existed of course, in which case energy has always existed as well. The second thing is that conservation of energy does NOT apply on the cosmological scale, which is where we get into talking about the universe as a whole. Consider this. Galaxies not bound to us are moving away from us. This causes a redshift in their light that reaches us. Now, unlike a moving light bulb here on Earth, these galaxies are NOT moving towards anything else, from their frame of reference all other galaxies are moving away from them as well, thus their light is completely redshifted in all directions. This means that all of the light that is sent out is losing energy from redshift. So conservation of energy does not apply to the universe as a whole, but only to local areas.

If what you are saying is true, does this mean that in terms of galaxies as a whole, I can create energy?

Related to Conservation of Energy: Where Did Energy Originate?

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

2. Where did energy originate?

The exact origin of energy is still a topic of scientific debate. Some scientists believe that it originated from the Big Bang, while others theorize that it has always existed in some form.

3. How does energy change forms?

Energy can change forms through various processes such as heat transfer, chemical reactions, and mechanical work. For example, the sun's nuclear energy is converted into light and heat energy through nuclear fusion.

4. How does the conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

The conservation of energy applies to everyday life in many ways. For example, when we flip a light switch, electrical energy is converted into light energy. When we eat food, our bodies convert chemical energy into kinetic energy to power our movements.

5. Can energy be lost or gained?

No, energy cannot be lost or gained. It remains constant, but can be transferred or transformed from one form to another. This is known as the first law of thermodynamics.