Conservation of Energy: Solving for Δv, Integrals, Derivatives

In summary: However, the Schwarzschild radius is negative because the force is pulling the object inward.In summary, the conversation discusses the potential energy of an object, and how it is related to the work done to bring the object from infinity to a point. The conversation also provides a derivation of the Schwarzschild radius, which is negative because the force is pulling the object inward.
redrum419_7
1) [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv[itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex]-mgy[itex]_{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex]-mgy[itex]_{1}[/itex]

2) [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m(v[itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex]-2gy[itex]_{2}[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m(v[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex]-2gy[itex]_{1}[/itex])

since g = [itex]\frac{GM}{R^{2}}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m cancels.

3) v[itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex]-2[itex]\frac{GM}{R^{2}}[/itex]y[itex]_{2}[/itex] = v[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex]-2[itex]\frac{GM}{R^{2}}[/itex]y[itex]_{1}[/itex]

4) v[itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex]-v[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex] = 2[itex]\frac{GM}{R^{2}}[/itex]y[itex]_{2}[/itex]-2[itex]\frac{GM}{R^{2}}[/itex]y[itex]_{1}[/itex]

5) v[itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex]-v[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex] = 2[itex]\frac{GM}{R^{2}}[/itex](y[itex]_{2}[/itex]-y[itex]_{1}[/itex])

6) [itex]\frac{Δ(v^{2})}{Δy}[/itex] = 2[itex]\frac{GM}{R^{2}}[/itex], if R is along y-axis

then d(v[itex]^{2}[/itex]) = 2[itex]\frac{GM}{y^{2}}[/itex]dy

Can someone give me a tip on where to go from here? Would an integral or derivative have any significance? Or are there any errors? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. ( I know v = √2gy )

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
redrum419_7 said:
1) [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv[itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex]-mgy[itex]_{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex]-mgy[itex]_{1}[/itex]
Why the minus signs?

2) [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m(v[itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex]-2gy[itex]_{2}[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m(v[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex]-2gy[itex]_{1}[/itex])

since g = [itex]\frac{GM}{R^{2}}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m cancels.
Note that PE = mgy only holds close to the Earth's surface. g is a constant and R here equals the radius of the earth. If you want to describe PE for larger ranges of distance, you cannot use PE = mgy. For a more general expression for potential energy see: Gravitational Potential Energy

Well, doc, you might remember that I was banned for seven days for being stubborn that the potential energy is the work done to bring an object from infinity to the point? The same is said in the link you provided.

vin300 said:
Well, doc, you might remember that I was banned for seven days for being stubborn that the potential energy is the work done to bring an object from infinity to the point? The same is said in the link you provided.
There's nothing wrong with such a statement, when applied to situations where the force goes to zero at infinity.

Doc Al said:
Why the minus signs?

[/URL]

Isn't U(x) = -G(x)

from the last part d(v[itex]^{2}[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{2GM}{y^{2}}[/itex]dy, if you take the integral, ∫d(v[itex]^{2}[/itex]) = ∫2[itex]\frac{GM}{y^{2}}[/itex]dy

v[itex]^{2}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{2GM}{y}[/itex], set v to c and rearrange y, you get

y=-[itex]\frac{2GM}{c^{2}}[/itex]

or

R[itex]_{s}[/itex]=-[itex]\frac{2GM}{c^{2}}[/itex], would this be a valid derivation of the Schwarzschild radius?

redrum419_7 said:
Isn't U(x) = -G(x)
I don't understand your notation.

U(x) = -∫F(x)dx

Doc Al said:
I don't understand your notation.

U(x) = -∫F(x)dx

Yeah G(x) =∫F(x)dx, that's what my teacher uses.

I see why it is not a minus sign, because from the integral and and the minus sign, it will be positive.

Related to Conservation of Energy: Solving for Δv, Integrals, Derivatives

1. What is the Conservation of Energy?

The Conservation of Energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How do you solve for Δv in Conservation of Energy?

To solve for Δv, you can use the equation Δv = ∫F(x)dx/m, where F(x) is the force acting on the object, dx is the distance the object moves, and m is the mass of the object.

3. What are integrals and derivatives in the context of Conservation of Energy?

Integrals and derivatives are mathematical concepts that are used to find the change in energy over a certain distance or time. Integrals are used to find the area under a curve, while derivatives are used to find the slope of a curve.

4. What is the importance of Conservation of Energy in solving real-world problems?

Conservation of Energy is crucial in solving real-world problems as it allows us to accurately predict and understand the behavior of physical systems. It also helps us in designing more efficient and sustainable technologies.

5. Can Conservation of Energy be violated?

No, Conservation of Energy is a fundamental law of physics and has been proven to hold true in all observed physical systems. Any apparent violations of this law can be explained by energy being transferred or converted in ways that are not immediately apparent.