Conservation of energy - rocket hovering above moon

In summary: Initially when the rocket and moon are at rest, the mass of the rocket is greater than the mass of the moon. But after the fuel is burned, the mass of the rocket is less, and the mass of the moon is greater. So the kinetic energy of the rocket is less in the frame where the moon was initially at rest.
bob900
Suppose a rocket is hovering above the moon at a constant height, burning just enough propellant to stay at that height, and not move upwards or downwards.

Viewed from an inertial frame, we have. Initial energy (just before ignition) :

1. Gravitational potential energy between rocket and the moon = I1
2. Chemical energy stored in fuel = I2

Assume kinetic energies of rocket and moon are both 0 initially.

----

Final energy:

1. Gravitational potential energy between rocket and the moon = F1
2. Kinetic energy (or heat) of the burning propellant = F2
3. Kinetic energy of the rocket = F3
4. Kinetic energy of the moon (it is gravitationally accelerated towards the rocket) = F4

If there is to be conservation of energy, (I1+I2) should equal (F1+F2+F3+F4).

But I2 = F2 + F3, because chemical energy of the fuel is converted into kinetic energy of the rocket and of the propellant. And since the rocket is still hovering at the same distance from the moon, I1 = F1.

So where does the additional term, F4 come from? Is energy conserved?

Physics news on Phys.org
1,When the exhaust hits the surface of moon, it will prevent moon moving toward the rocket;
2,The mass of rocket continues to decrease, the lost part of fuel will lose its potential energy ;
3,Another better example similar:
A helicopter hovering aloft in the atmosphere of the Earth ,the airflow moving downwards will diffuse in the open air but not hit the surface of the earth.
It's sure the Earth will move towards the helicopter with a extremely tiny velocity.
Unfortunately analysts used to ignore this point.

Last edited:
bob900 said:
Suppose a rocket is hovering above the moon at a constant height, burning just enough propellant to stay at that height, and not move upwards or downwards.

Viewed from an inertial frame, we have. Initial energy (just before ignition) :

1. Gravitational potential energy between rocket and the moon = I1
2. Chemical energy stored in fuel = I2

Assume kinetic energies of rocket and moon are both 0 initially.

----

Final energy:

1. Gravitational potential energy between rocket and the moon = F1
2. Kinetic energy (or heat) of the burning propellant = F2
3. Kinetic energy of the rocket = F3
4. Kinetic energy of the moon (it is gravitationally accelerated towards the rocket) = F4

If there is to be conservation of energy, (I1+I2) should equal (F1+F2+F3+F4).

But I2 = F2 + F3, because chemical energy of the fuel is converted into kinetic energy of the rocket and of the propellant. And since the rocket is still hovering at the same distance from the moon, I1 = F1.

So where does the additional term, F4 come from? Is energy conserved?

If you manage to let the exhaust not hit the moon, then the kinetic energy of the moon comes from the fact that both the moon and the rocket start to move (the rocket is hovering at constant distance from the moon), so the kinetic energy of the exhaust will be less in the frame where the moon was initially at rest.

willem2 said:
If you manage to let the exhaust not hit the moon, then the kinetic energy of the moon comes from the fact that both the moon and the rocket start to move (the rocket is hovering at constant distance from the moon), so the kinetic energy of the exhaust will be less in the frame where the moon was initially at rest.

Right, viewed in the rest frame, both rocket and moon start to move with kinetic energies R and M respectively. There's also the kinetic energy of the exhaust, E.

After all the fuel has been burned, the Δkinetic energy = R+M+E, and Δpotential energy = -C where C is the potential energy of the fuel at the start. So by conservation of energy,

R+M+E = C (1)

But... Since the exhaust doesn't hit the moon, C is converted into only R and E, so

C = R+E (2)

So there's a contradiction, between (1) and (2). Seems like there should be an additional term on the right hand side of (1), equal to M. But where does it come from?

bob900 said:
I1 = F1.
This is wrong. The mass of the rocket has changed.

Related to Conservation of energy - rocket hovering above moon

1. What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to a rocket hovering above the moon?

In order for a rocket to hover above the moon, its engines must produce enough thrust to counteract the force of gravity pulling it towards the moon's surface. This requires a constant input of energy, which must come from the rocket's fuel. The conservation of energy principle states that the total energy of the system (rocket + fuel) must remain constant, meaning that the energy taken from the fuel is converted into the kinetic energy of the rocket, allowing it to hover.

3. Can conservation of energy be violated?

No, conservation of energy is a universal law of nature that has been repeatedly confirmed through experiments and observations. It is considered to be one of the most fundamental and unbreakable laws of physics.

4. How does the mass of the rocket affect conservation of energy?

The mass of the rocket does not directly affect the conservation of energy principle. However, a heavier rocket will require more fuel and therefore more energy to hover above the moon compared to a lighter rocket. This is because the total energy of the system (rocket + fuel) must remain constant.

5. What are some real-life applications of conservation of energy in space exploration?

Conservation of energy is a crucial principle in space exploration as it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects in space. It is used in the design and operation of spacecraft, satellites, and probes, as well as in the calculations of orbital trajectories and the transfer of energy between different systems in space.