Conservation of Energy Problem

In summary, a man on his bike has an initial velocity of 8.5m/s. He begins to go up an incline that has a vertical height of 5.2m. Once he reaches the top of the incline, he only has a velocity of 3.00m/s. The man and his bike combined weigh 80kg. The total work done on the man from the bottom of the incline to the top is 1550.96J.
student34

Homework Statement

A man on his bike have an initial velocity of 8.5m/s. He begins to go up an incline that has a vertical height of 5.2m. Once he reaches the top of the incline, he only has a velocity of 3.00m/s. The man and his bike combined weigh 80kg. What is the total work done on the man from the bottom of the incline to the top?

Homework Equations

Ek1 + U1 + W = Ek2 + U2

The Attempt at a Solution

0.5(80kg)(8.5m/s)^2 + 0 + W = 0.5(80kg)(3m/s)^2 + 5.2m(9.81m/s^2)(80kg)

W = 0.5(80kg)(3m/s)^2 + 5.2m(9.81m/s^2)(80kg) - 0.5(80kg)(8.5m/s)^2

W = 1550.96J

But that is definitely the wrong answer. I can't think of any way that to get the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
are we suppose to just ignore friction?
because when the man is traveling uphill there will be friction acting against the way he is moving

Why do you think the answer is wrong?

Technically, it is impossible to know the answer here because the question only specifies the mass of man+bike and wants to know the work done on the man. Edit: Of course, the intent of the question is probably to ask what work is being done on man+bike ...

You should also round your answer to a reasonable number of significant digits. Using six significant digits is far too much unless you know all parameters to a precision of six digits (for example, the mass of the man to an accuracy of a few mg).
Matejxx1 said:
because when the man is traveling uphill there will be friction acting against the way he is moving
Friction is irrelevant. You know the initial and final energies and the work done on the man includes any possible negative work done by friction.

Likes Matejxx1
Matejxx1 said:
Yeah, the question said to ignore friction.

Orodruin said:
Why do you think the answer is wrong?

Technically, it is impossible to know the answer here because the question only specifies the mass of man+bike and wants to know the work done on the man. Edit: Of course, the intent of the question is probably to ask what work is being done on man+bike ...
Yes, sorry, it asks what the work done on the man and the bike is.

student34 said:
Yes, sorry, it asks what the work done on the man and the bike is.
This still does not answer the relevant question in my post: Why do you think your answer is wrong?

Orodruin said:
This still does not answer the relevant question in my post: Why do you think your answer is wrong?
My physics professor uses an online assignment marker. It marked my answer wrong. It gives hints if the answer is close or just off by some sig-digs; it did not give me any hints.

Does he start at h=0?

Matejxx1 said:
Does he start at h=0?
Well that doesn't actually matter

Orodruin said:
I've always been a bit confused about this, but is it not more correct to say that the work done in getting up the hill was done on the Earth-man-bike system, rather than on the man&bike system? To put it another way, something (engine? muscles?) did 1551J of work, but gravity also did negative work on man&bike, so the net work done on them is just ##\Delta KE##.

haruspex said:
I've always been a bit confused about this, but is it not more correct to say that the work done in getting up the hill was done on the Earth-man-bike system, rather than on the man&bike system? To put it another way, something (engine? muscles?) did 1551J of work, but gravity also did negative work on man&bike, so the net work done on them is just ##\Delta KE##.
I would say this depends on where you consider gravitational energy is "stored". In the case of considering man+bike in a setting where the gravitational field is a background, it makes some sense to assign the potential energy to the man+bike system. In other cases it would depend on how you treat the potential.

You might be correct in that this might be the intention of the questioner, but this needs to be specified.

Orodruin said:
I would say this depends on where you consider gravitational energy is "stored". In the case of considering man+bike in a setting where the gravitational field is a background, it makes some sense to assign the potential energy to the man+bike system. In other cases it would depend on how you treat the potential.

You might be correct in that this might be the intention of the questioner, but this needs to be specified.
A quick search on Work-Energy Theorem suggests work done on a body is only the KE change. See e.g. http://faculty.wwu.edu/vawter/physicsnet/topics/Work/WorkEngergyTheorem.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer should just be Eg, given the law of conservation of energy.Et = Eg + EkEt = EgEg= mghEg = (80kg)(9.8n/kg)(5.2m)

Eg = 4'076.8 J

Just a thought, if I'm wrong so be it.To prove this you can see how fast he would be going if he went down the hill. Take whichever number you get and add it to this formula :Etotal = W = EkEk = ½ mv2W = ½ (80kg)v2V2= (2(4076.8))/(80.0kg)V2 = 101.92V= 10.09 m/sIf I am wrong, I apologize.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
A quick search on Work-Energy Theorem suggests work done on a body is only the KE change. See e.g. http://faculty.wwu.edu/vawter/physicsnet/topics/Work/WorkEngergyTheorem.html
Yes, you are right. Taking the potential energy separate from the man+bike system does make sense. I am swayed to the opinion of adding the negative work done by gravity to end up with the difference in kinetic energies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dodsy said:
The answer should just be Eg, given the law of conservation of energy.
No, this is not how work done works. What you are computing is just the work related to the gravitational force.

Dodsy said:
The answer should just be Eg, given the law of conservation of energy.
No, this is not how work done works. What you are computing is just the work related to the gravitational force.

Related to Conservation of Energy Problem

What is the conservation of energy problem?

The conservation of energy problem is a fundamental concept in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

Why is the conservation of energy important?

The conservation of energy is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that governs how energy behaves in the universe. It allows us to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems and is crucial in many fields, including engineering, chemistry, and biology.

How is energy conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, energy is conserved through various forms of energy transfer, such as mechanical work, heat transfer, and electromagnetic radiation. The total amount of energy remains constant, but it can be converted from one form to another.

What are some examples of the conservation of energy in everyday life?

Some examples of the conservation of energy in everyday life include turning on a light bulb, where electrical energy is converted to light and heat energy, or throwing a ball, where kinetic energy is converted to potential energy when the ball reaches its highest point.

How does the conservation of energy relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics is a specific application of the conservation of energy in thermodynamic systems. It states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. This law is based on the principle of the conservation of energy.